Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gallery - Akubra Campdraft

RJR

Hat-Akubra-BGCD-FL3.jpg
FL Edition BGCD.

Looking for the traditional look of an OR/Cattleman in color options other than SB or black I ordered a CD in Taupe Fawn from Hatsdirect. This is my 5th CD (other colors: SB, MB, BG, & MS; all with fedora creases) so with TF I would not be duplicating anything if I decided to crease it as a fedora. But I think a MSCD/Cattleman would look just great too!

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

Imperial grade, open crown, it arrived with a nice two-tone liner in what I would call an antique gold & ivory. Outside in natural lighting the color of TF can range from almost a silvery Sable to buckskin tan. Inside in incandescent lighting it can range from buckskin to what I would almost call a roan without the red or a light roast coffee bean; not as dark as the colors of MB or the new CB. I would suspect under fluorescent lighting conditions it would revert back to the Sable color.

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

I've tried a Cattleman & now a brick crease. If I keep the brick I'll do a little smoothing here & there. The brim came with plenty of cup flanged in. I'm undecided if I can get comfortable with it turned up. I may end up flattening the brim some.

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

I would like to see CD's offered in Navy blue & Sage green. How about it, Hatsdirect? You listening?

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Looking for the traditional look of an OR/Cattleman in color options other than SB or black I ordered a CD in Taupe Fawn from Hatsdirect. This is my 5th CD (other colors: SB, MB, BG, & MS; all with fedora creases) so with TF I would not be duplicating anything if I decided to crease it as a fedora. But I think a MSCD/Cattleman would look just great too!

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

Imperial grade, open crown, it arrived with a nice two-tone liner in what I would call an antique gold & ivory. Outside in natural lighting the color of TF can range from almost a silvery Sable to buckskin tan. Inside in incandescent lighting it can range from buckskin to what I would almost call a roan without the red or a light roast coffee bean; not as dark as the colors of MB or the new CB. I would suspect under fluorescent lighting conditions it would revert back to the Sable color.

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

I've tried a Cattleman & now a brick crease. If I keep the brick I'll do a little smoothing here & there. The brim came with plenty of cup flanged in. I'm undecided if I can get comfortable with it turned up. I may end up flattening the brim some.

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

I would like to see CD's offered in Navy blue & Sage green. How about it, Hatsdirect? You listening?
Looks great Jack!

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

A Navy Blue would send me over the edge of buying one. This one is a stunner Jack.

I like that crease Jack!

I'd buy a black Camp Draft if they offered one.
You have to watch for them but you can find new Stetson OR's in black & they sold a few Special Edition OR's (150th anniversaries) in Sage Green.

I think Chamuco has a CD in Navy blue but I have never asked how he got it.

Looking for the traditional look of an OR/Cattleman in color options other than SB or black I ordered a CD in Taupe Fawn from Hatsdirect...Imperial grade, open crown, it arrived with a nice two-tone liner in what I would call an antique gold & ivory...
I really wonder if there's a thought process or procedure at Akubra that determines which liner goes into which hat, or if it's nothing more than luck of the draw. Five of my Akubras have all-white liners, but the sixth--my Bluegrass Green CD--has a liner like the one in your new Taupe Fawn.

...I would like to see CD's offered in Navy blue & Sage green. How about it, Hatsdirect? You listening?
If there's enough interest, you can contact Hats Direct or Everything Australian to inquire about a special order; it's been done before. But they would require a minimum number of hats ordered (25 or 30, I think), and ultimately it's up to Akubra to determine whether or not they'd be willing to accommodate such a request.

I really wonder if there's a thought process or procedure at Akubra that determines which liner goes into which hat, or if it's nothing more than luck of the draw. Five of my Akubras have all-white liners, but the sixth--my Bluegrass Green CD--has a liner like the one in your new Taupe Fawn.
If the liners are sourced from outside vendors & not made in house then it may just be what is on the line at any given time. This was the first time I had seen it. All of my other Akubras have the all white liner & the Cattleman has no liner, of course.

How and when do Akubras go on sale? What kind of discounts can you expect and what are the best sellers for buying new?

I've seen 10% and 20% off sales in May and October from Everything Australian. Not sure they always have them. I have only bought a Camp Draft at 20% off so can't speak to the best sellers as I have only experience with the one. Everything was great, but I did have to wait a couple of months for delivery.

How and when do Akubras go on sale? What kind of discounts can you expect and what are the best sellers for buying new?
I've seen the occasional "sale" here and there, but for the most part I agree with @Hurricane Jack. The exchange rate fluctuates regularly, though the difference is usually very minor these days, so keep an eye on the prices and place an order when you find a price you can live with.

With regards to "best" sellers, around here Hats Direct/The Hattery and Everything Australian are favorites. I've placed orders with both, and have received excellent service every time. That being said, Hats Direct/The Hattery sells hats--period. So they generally have every hat they offer in every size in stock. Everything Australian sells more than just hats, so they can't keep every hat they offer in every size in stock, and if they don't have the hat you want they have to order it from Akubra, so it can take up to three months before they can ship your order. As such, the prices at Hats Direct/The Hattery are a bit higher. What this means to the buyer is this--order your hat from Hats Direct/The Hattery and pay more but receive it sooner, or order from Everything Australian and pay less but possibly wait three months for your hat. If they do have the hat you want in stock, Everything Australian is the better bargain. But they each also have "exclusive" hats. For example, if you want a Campdraft in Bluegrass Green, you'll have to order it from Everything Australian. And if you want a Federation IV or prefer Akubra's Deluxe/Heritage Quality felt, you'll have to order from Hats Direct/The Hattery.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

HJ mine looked just like that , and I steamed the front of the Brim and gave it a gentle tug leaving the flange but minimizing the Norton in the front . It seems to have calmed down a bit , maybe from rain or something . Looks great on you . I hadn't seen this post until now . Great color isn't it .

HJ mine looked just like that , and I steamed the front of the Brim and gave it a gentle tug leaving the flange but minimizing the Norton in the front . It seems to have calmed down a bit , maybe from rain or something . Looks great on you . I hadn't seen this post until now . Great color isn't it .
It is a great color, Michael. I'm liking the color & crease a lot. I do plan to take out just a bit of the cup from the flange & leave a bit of it at the binding the next time I make steam. Plus it has a couple of dimples in the crease to smooth out. But it has just a bit too much cup for what I like & I can't get used to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider