Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

Ooh, added that to my wish list. Yellow roses get mildew? I guess yellow's out for me.

Not all yellow roses do but a majority of them do because they originated from Persia. Not much moisture in the air there. :p Yellow blends are usually ok though and they are more interesting color wise. Examples such as Veldfire are great roses.
3082.jpg

Tatum

Practically Family
Not all yellow roses do but a majority of them do because they originated from Persia. Not much moisture in the air there. :p Yellow blends are usually ok though and they are more interesting color wise. Examples such as Veldfire are great roses.
View attachment 179

Yellow's not my favorite anyway. ;) My single lavender tea rose gave me ten blooms last week, they smell divine in the house.

I picked about twelve peppers yesterday, and I need to get the okra off the plants, they're huge! The corn has hair. I'm excited. What is everyone else yielding?

Yellow's not my favorite anyway. ;) My single lavender tea rose gave me ten blooms last week, they smell divine in the house.

I picked about twelve peppers yesterday, and I need to get the okra off the plants, they're huge! The corn has hair. I'm excited. What is everyone else yielding?

Out of 80 or so roses that I have, I have only one pure yellow rose and only because it was here already. :p
The nectarines are ready, the damsons are all picked, oranges, grapefruit(PU) and lemons are all ready. I am waiting for the tomatoes, swiss chard, strawberries, Pineapple guava and a few other things to get ready though.

Tatum

Practically Family
I've never heard corn silks called "hair" before.

It's become a house joke, as my little nephew referred to it as such. :)

I tend to call it "the crap that gets stuck in my teeth".

Eta: James, 80 roses? Wow. I wish I had room for half that many!

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Roses and I are not friends! Under circumstances too embarrassing to admit, I have fallen into rose bushes twice and have made sure that will not happen again. I have come to be an aficienado of orchids and irises. In fact, today I finished weeding the parkway in preparation for planting another twenty blues and purples to contrast with the California poppies. I'll post a picture in the Spring. As to my vegetable garden, it has gotten away from me and will be the next major weeding and renovation project. It's about time to put in the fall plantings, anyway, so this mild spell is welcome. I only hope I get it all done before the Santa Ana's kick in!
S

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I also have Mexican sunflowers in the mix but the are a bit of a weed. Still, they provide color in the summer after the main iris bloom is gone and the Cal poppies have gone dormant for the season.

It's become a house joke, as my little nephew referred to it as such. :)

I tend to call it "the crap that gets stuck in my teeth".

Eta: James, 80 roses? Wow. I wish I had room for half that many!

:p

Probably more than that but I stopped counting at 80. :p I wish I had room for twice as much. :D
I had someone come over and ask my wife who the rose lover is. She said me of course. :p

Roses and I are not friends! Under circumstances too embarrassing to admit, I have fallen into rose bushes twice and have made sure that will not happen again. I have come to be an aficienado of orchids and irises. In fact, today I finished weeding the parkway in preparation for planting another twenty blues and purples to contrast with the California poppies. I'll post a picture in the Spring. As to my vegetable garden, it has gotten away from me and will be the next major weeding and renovation project. It's about time to put in the fall plantings, anyway, so this mild spell is welcome. I only hope I get it all done before the Santa Ana's kick in!
S

I have a poppy bed at the end of my driveway (there are roses along the driveway. :p). They are like a lawn up here. They just keep coming back and filling in. Seed it once and you are done. :D

Same here. If I were to water the parkway weekly or biweekly I'd have poppies all year long. Maybe I should . . .

Funny you should say that. I just ran a line along the driveway for the roses and ended it with a sprinkler for the poppies. :p
They grow all over the place and I actually have to edge the bed so they don't start covering the sidewalk. :p
I figured I might as well water them because they look pretty sad when they get all dry and wisp. It looks like an abandoned lot. :p

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I keep (kept, really) a small vegetable & herb garden at home. Most every year I plant tomatoes, peppers of some sort, leaf lettuce, spinach, & some assorted herbs - usually basil, chives, and whatever else I feel like. Last year everything did great, and I made tons of salsa from my tomatoes & peppers. This was a big hit both at home and as gifts. This year, my tomatoes & basil did really well, but not much else. It got hot so quickly that my lettuce bolted. The insane heat here pretty much wiped everything out and I couldn't keep up with watering or keep anything alive, so I've given up at this point. I'd love to do an autumn garden, but right now it is too hot to even try to plant anything.

I keep (kept, really) a small vegetable & herb garden at home. Most every year I plant tomatoes, peppers of some sort, leaf lettuce, spinach, & some assorted herbs - usually basil, chives, and whatever else I feel like. Last year everything did great, and I made tons of salsa from my tomatoes & peppers. This was a big hit both at home and as gifts. This year, my tomatoes & basil did really well, but not much else. It got hot so quickly that my lettuce bolted. The insane heat here pretty much wiped everything out and I couldn't keep up with watering or keep anything alive, so I've given up at this point. I'd love to do an autumn garden, but right now it is too hot to even try to plant anything.

I wouldn't give up just yet. Lettuce is really best planted as a cold weather crop near the end of the hot season where you are. Just when the heat is good enough to get the plants started but cool enough to keep them from bolting. Here I plant them in the middle of September along with the garlic. You could certainly plant watermelons there right now. :D
I would install an automated drip system if I were in your area with your conditions. That would certainly take care of many worries in the garden. :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tips! I do have a sprinkler system set up in the garden area, so that isn't such a big deal... but when it is nearly 110 and you're in severe drought conditions (and about to be under water rationing), it really becomes an "is it worth it?" scenario with the water expense vs the veggies.

I am definitely going to try to do some autumn gardening, perhaps if the temps drop down somewhat in September.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I do have a sprinkler system set up in the garden area, so that isn't such a big deal... but when it is nearly 110 and you're in severe drought conditions (and about to be under water rationing), it really becomes an "is it really worth it?" scenario with the water expense.

Aha, I see what you mean now. We have had more than our share of rainfall this year. No rationing for us---finally. :D

Tatum

Practically Family
I've got an "other" post... I harvested some honey this last week! Yummy. It's a combo of mangrove and wildflower, with some of my garden herbs I assume, since I can taste some Thai basil!

The bees have also multiplied. I started the spring with the one hive and am now up to four :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points