Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gas rationing stickers on windscreens

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
j450_weegee_in_shock.jpg

I have seen the letter "A" on a sticker displayed on cars in the 1940s. I understand this to be the WWII gas rationing sticker.

But why the letter "A"?

Did priority vehicles get different letter designations?

Did the "A" stand for anything in particular or was it one of a number of categories?

:jeep::eusa_doh::jeep::eusa_doh::jeep::eusa_doh:

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
There were other stickers as well, there were B, C, T, and X stickers in addition to the As. The rationing was meant to save tire rubber as well as gas, btw.

Ordinary people got A stickers, which entitled them to the least amount of gas. War-workers and essential industry got B stickers, doctors and ministers and the like got C stickers. Truckers got T and high-level politicians got X.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I was looking into adding one to my car sometime ago and had to find out what the stickers meant. There is info all over the 'net about the history of the stickers.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Excellent Post

Mr Wolfie, that was very informative. I didn't know about the stickers, having seen them over the years. Never thought to ask what they were all about.!!

renor27

One of the Regulars
Gas rationing

So there were 4 types of stickers for cars . what about for motorcycles?
Am just about finished rebuilding up my Vintage BMW with sidecar think it would be kind of neat to get a sticker ( if they were made for bikes) and put it on the hacks windsheild.
David

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In addition to the windshield stickers, drivers were issued small square stamps bearing their assigned ration-class letter, a serial number, and a space for their signature. Every stamp had to be signed when handed to a filling-station attendant -- who had to then paste all the stamps down on a large gummed sheet, which had to be submitted to the jobber when ordering a new supply of gas. Every single gallon sold was, supposedly, accounted for this way. There was, however, a thriving market in counterfeit ration stamps, and if you "knew somebody" it wasn't hard to cheat the system.

Somewhere around here I have a few of those stamp sheets, found stashed away in the desk at the family gas station when we closed it down.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Mr. 'H' said:
That's great, remembering something of historic note like that.

Did you ever comment on it or wonder what it meant when you were young?

He explained about gas ratioing and other items that were rationed. He was glad to have someone like me that was interested. I am 37 now and he was 83 when he died this year on July 20th. I was a late child. I have an older brother that is old enough to be my father. I am lucky that I have parents that were old enough to be my grandparents. I was able to be brought up with 30s and 40s values. I come by this hobby naturally.

Eric

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It's amazing how many things were rationed during the War. I wrote an article about the Home front of WWII in my blog, and the list of things I came up with that were rationed seemed to go on forever!

Abbott and Costello once referred to the gasoline cards in a comedy routine they did on the radio. They wanted to travel somewhere a great distance away, and Costello was telling Abbott he couldn't drive that far. In the end, Abbott gave up and asked why.

"Well come on, Costello! Why can't you!?"
"OPA, Bruddah! That's why!"
"What do you mean!?"
"Well I only gotta puny 'A' card!"

Unfortunately, my A&C radio-episode collection is quite extensive, and it would take me the better part of a month to track down that exact episode again.

K

kpreed

I, in my business have been restoring many old family photos. This car has an "A" sticker on it, hope it helps somebody.
J13133_2.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
kpreed said:
I, in my business have been restoring many old family photos. This car has an "A" sticker on it, hope it helps somebody.
J13133_2.jpg

Good detective work there. I actually wonder if different states had regulations about whether the sticker be placed at the top or the bottom of the windshield?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider