Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Michaelshane

One Too Many
More you say?

P1030232.jpg
[/IMG]

Warbaby

One Too Many
I thought it might be #8 - one of my favorite stones. And big-time kudos for cutting your own sawtooth bezels rather than buying the machine-cut stuff. Not one person in a thousand can tell the difference, but you earn serious respect from the few who do.

I've also made a lot of different things over the years but never posted anything here because I thought this thread was just for clothing. I'll dig out some photos and join in the fray.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Warbaby said:
I've also made a lot of different things over the years but never posted anything here because I thought this thread was just for clothing. I'll dig out some photos and join in the fray.

I started out posting just sewing becuase that's all I've been doing lately, due to being far away from my forge right now. I'd love to see what you've made. Doen't matter what the medium is, textile, metal, stone, wood, or what have you. I should dig out some pictures of some of the other works I've done, besides the clothes.

Michael, my grandpa was a lapidary, and I grew up with him always working on jewelry. I think that's one of the things that really influenced me towards smithing and making things by hand.

What kind of camera do you use for your photos? Mine can have a hard time picking up fine detail, and I've been thinking about getting a new one.

Cheers,
Nick

Warbaby

One Too Many
I haven't made any jewelry recently, but here are a couple of pieces from way back when:

Friendship Ring - forged iron and 18k gold with gold rivets.

CynRing_79.08.jpg

Mask for evening wear - sterling, set with a moonstone.

SilverMask3.jpg

MB5

One of the Regulars
I made this bag, the mounting points, swivels, and the slide. I soldered all the connections to prevent them from sliding off the bag the way the commercial products will. The bag is based on the French bag used in The Ninth Gate.
bag.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Just finished another collar, patterned from an unnamed collar from the '30s. It's made from the scrap fabric from a shirt I just finished (photos forthcoming). It's not great shirting material, I bought it to test a pattern alteration, but it'll make a decent day shirt for now. It worked better for the collar, though I'm not sure how the thinner fabric will react with the fusible interfacing after the first wash. Ah well, I really like this style so I'll be making more. I'm going to look for better material for collars (and another shirt) this weekend, and some non-fusible interfacing.

The points are 3 3/8" long. I got a bit of the starch shine on the points, but not all around. Maybe I need to add more starch to the water.

DSC09078.jpg

DSC09079.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Nick, if you could make and mass produced a shirt with that exact collar design (but permanently attached to the shirt), I'd bet that you'd get a lot of orders for it. The one '20s-'30s menswear item that isn't being well produced by anybody (even the Japanese) is dress shirts with period-accurate long collars.

Would you consider taking up this challenge?

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Knocked out a prototype today fro a new razor/brush stand. Now I know what dimensions I will need and a couple other things. Also, the part I like about it is using old cracked razor handles for the horizontal pieces.
002-12.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Nick, if you could make and mass produced a shirt with that exact collar design (but permanently attached to the shirt), I'd bet that you'd get a lot of orders for it. The one '20s-'30s menswear item that isn't being well produced by anybody (even the Japanese) is dress shirts with period-accurate long collars.

Would you consider taking up this challenge?

+1

Nick you have done an awesome job!:eusa_clap :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points