Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Hurrell 40s style photography

Atomic Age

Practically Family
I just discovered this place and WOW, great idea!

I'm a photographer and one of my heroes is George Hurrell. Hurrell is one of the most famous Hollywood portrait photographers from the Golden Age. I recently tried doing some portraits in that style and thought folks here might appreciate them and give their opinions.

2184274773_040a19d1bf_o.jpg

2184274679_4e3bb638b4_o.jpg

Hope I posted these in the right place.

Thanks
Doug

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Hello Doug,

Interesting photos, that first one has an element of mystery to it. What kind of camera did you use?

Welcome to the Lounge!

Atterbury

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Atterbury,

Thanks for the welcome.

These were shot with a Canon Rebel XTI digital SLR, and a fixed focal length 50mm lens. They were actually shot in color, and I used a Photoshop plugin called Virtual Photographer to render it in black and white and add just a bit of film grain. I also added a bit of a soft focus filter in Photoshop.

Doug

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful work!

If she had a hairdo, it would be very convincing!

i was lucky enough to have my portrait done by Mark Viera in 1989 - Mark owned the cameras, lenses and lights from Hurrell's MGM portrait studio (until someone stole them). He also put out a beautiful book of Hurrell's work.

It was quite a thrill to know that the same camera captured some of the greatest stars!

And the pictures came out swell. I will scan and post one.

I especially like the lighting on the second one, on her hands...

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Thank you for your comments. Thats amazing that he had Hurrell's actual equipment. I'd love to see your portraits.

These photos were more of a lighting test and to see if I could get the tone of the b&w correct with a digital camera more than anything else. Part of it is also a test for a short film noir I'm hoping to make. If I do the film correctly, people shouldn't know that it wasn't made in 1953, the year in which it takes place.

If I do more photos like this I'll probably hire a makeup and hair artist.

Doug

Ray925

New in Town
Dishy Doll

It's a bit different shooting this style and quite enjoyable. It takes a tad longer as setting up the lights,getting the pose just right, and capturing the moment with a vintage look has a much different feeling than any flash photography. I use a couple of Bardwell and McAllister lights from the 50's and one Bantum supershot that I believe is from the 40's or 30's....anyway..enough rambling..here's a shot for you! Model is wearing a Vintage 40's dress

pic.php
[/url][/IMG]

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Hurrell

Very nice work Doug, you should check out the work of Roger James in LA, he's the best I've found so far...but you look like you can give him a run for the money soon! http://www.rogerganiajames.com/intropage.html

I'm also a fan of Hurrell, I just recently snagged his Hollywood Portraits book, by Viera, in a used book shop for $70...it's been going on ebay and Amazon for close to $300. Are you familiar with it?

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Atomic Age said:
Here are a few more recent shots...

3986109315_f859d4809d_b.jpg

My jaw is on the floor! Simply amazing! I thought you were going to say these were shots from the original artist. I really love the first portrait. Was your model wise enough to request payment in prints rather than money??? ;) Keep doing what you're doing. Your work is incredible!

Chas

One Too Many
I have several George Hurrell prints. They cost me a freakin' fortune but I'm glad to have them. I have a couple of Jean Harlow (one of the Bear rug portrait) and a Norma Shearer. Hurrell is my hero, photographically speaking. If I wasn't so crazy for the sax I'd be buying 1930's cameras and building a darkroom so I can recreate it. A genius.

Man Ray and Sinclair Bull are my other faves.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
23SkidooWithYou said:
My jaw is on the floor! Simply amazing! I thought you were going to say these were shots from the original artist. I really love the first portrait. Was your model wise enough to request payment in prints rather than money??? ;) Keep doing what you're doing. Your work is incredible!

Thank you for the kind comments. The model is actually a friend who is also on this forum under the name Jitterbug Doll, and we shoot together quite often.

Doug

Atomic Age

Practically Family
WineGuy said:
Very nice work Doug, you should check out the work of Roger James in LA, he's the best I've found so far...but you look like you can give him a run for the money soon! http://www.rogerganiajames.com/intropage.html

I'm also a fan of Hurrell, I just recently snagged his Hollywood Portraits book, by Viera, in a used book shop for $70...it's been going on ebay and Amazon for close to $300. Are you familiar with it?

Thanks for the link. There is also a guy in San Francisco who does amazing work. His name is Jim Ferreira.

http://www.lafterhall.com/filmnoir.html

Doug

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I checked him out, nice work, but you are better. Roger James does great retouching and gets that perfect smooth skin look like in the original glamour shots of Hurrell. Ferriera has great composition and good wardrobe but still is too natural looking and appears to do no retouching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk