Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Hurrell 40s style photography

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Here are a few more from that same shoot.

6398989437_1378acfed6_z.jpg

6398985959_6f87991b2a_z.jpg

6398996797_8809e9b313_z.jpg

6398997613_235204e85c_z.jpg

6398967857_089314015f_z.jpg

Doug

Atomic Age

Practically Family
The lighting is quite good! If you're trying to emulate the classic style however, I wouldn't use quite as wide a lens as that. They rarely used wide angle lenses. Something closer to your camera's equivalent of a 50mm lens would be good for these shots. Other than that I really like them.

By the way where did you get the old .38?

Doug

Gene

Practically Family
The lighting is quite good! If you're trying to emulate the classic style however, I wouldn't use quite as wide a lens as that. They rarely used wide angle lenses. Something closer to your camera's equivalent of a 50mm lens would be good for these shots. Other than that I really like them.

By the way where did you get the old .38?

Doug

Hey Doug, I was originally trying to go for a completely classic look, but as you said they rarely used the wide lens, so I just consider them "classically-styled."

The .38 is mine, it's a 1950's Smith and Wesson M&P Model 10! Great shooter and I love the look!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Gene

I hope that the rounds in your gun are props, not loaded ammunition. After all, you're pointing the pistol at your photographer. I have to catch that stuff, I'm an aerospace safety engineer, an NRA Range Officer, NRA / 4H Smallbore Pistol and Rifle coach. Just the paperwork on accidentally shooting somebody in the head is probably horrible to say nothing of the rest of it.

later

Gene

Practically Family
Hey Gene

I hope that the rounds in your gun are props, not loaded ammunition. After all, you're pointing the pistol at your photographer. I have to catch that stuff, I'm an aerospace safety engineer, an NRA Range Officer, NRA / 4H Smallbore Pistol and Rifle coach. Just the paperwork on accidentally shooting somebody in the head is probably horrible to say nothing of the rest of it.

later

No no no my camera is on a tripod with the timer set...I'd never point a gun loaded or unloaded at a real person! Unless of course it was in self-defense, but that's a whole different story...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No no no my camera is on a tripod with the timer set...I'd never point a gun loaded or unloaded at a real person! Unless of course it was in self-defense, but that's a whole different story...

That's great. If you reload, or know someone who does, you could six brass cases with the lead bullets, but no powder or primers.

Later

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Hey Doug, I was originally trying to go for a completely classic look, but as you said they rarely used the wide lens, so I just consider them "classically-styled."

The .38 is mine, it's a 1950's Smith and Wesson M&P Model 10! Great shooter and I love the look!

I completely understand. There are times when I'm shooting and I really don't want to be completely authentic.

Nice weapon. I'm jealous! At the moment I'm looking for a 1903 Colt hammerless .32 pocket pistol. They are hard to find in working condition.

Doug

Juliet

A-List Customer
Great pictures here! My compliments to the photographers and the models!

This is somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know why Roger James' site is unavailable?

Juliet

A-List Customer
Doesn't look like it, it's been down now for several months. Darn, and I didn't even save those beautiful pictures from his gallery! That will teach me to leave things for later, I guess!

Then again, there are all the awesome photographs in this thread to comfort me! :D

Taz-man

Familiar Face
Does anybody know what type of camera George Hurrell used or the ones that other Movie Company photographers used primarily during the 1920s and 1930s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto