Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I just checked the sweat on mine for a date stamp. Didn't find anything as clear as the ones you have, just some weird marks.

fa2303413ae6abb4759c9d59b8a4d3e4.jpg

Can't tell if they were meant to be something or not.

Powered by happy thoughts

This discussion is indicative of the value this forum exudes. It got me wondering...did German hat manufacture cease during the war years? Is it possible to find a hat with a 1943 date? Just curious, I could only dream of such a hat.

I just checked the sweat on mine for a date stamp. Didn't find anything as clear as the ones you have, just some weird marks.

fa2303413ae6abb4759c9d59b8a4d3e4.jpg

Can't tell if they were meant to be something or not.

Powered by happy thoughts
There is a date stamped on the sweatband. I can only make out 1969 which correlates with the last number "69" of the paper label sequence. The other numbers (running in the other direction) appear to be sweatband related.

This discussion is indicative of the value this forum exudes. It got me wondering...did German hat manufacture cease during the war years? Is it possible to find a hat with a 1943 date? Just curious, I could only dream of such a hat.
Some factories converted to war time production needs. I came across a Rockel & Co. Alsfeld receipt from June 19th 1944 so they were still shipping what appears to be Dress Hats. Also whole sellers and retailers continued to sell what they had inventory. I am pretty sure I have hats that were made or sold in 1943 but no date stamp proof. I tend not to look for date stamps because I don't want to damage the sweatbands.

16396943260_34ed084bfe_h.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/17-rockel-hutfabrik/#entry1115

Last edited:
Some factories converted to war time production needs. I came across a Rockel & Co. Alsfeld receipt from June 19th 1944 so they were still shipping what appears to be Dress Hats. Also whole sellers and retailers continued to sell what they had inventory. I am pretty sure I have hats that were made or sold in 1943 but no date stamp proof. I tend not to look for date stamps because I don't want to damage the sweatbands.

16396943260_34ed084bfe_h.jpg

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/17-rockel-hutfabrik/#entry1115
Cool information. It would be an interesting study to look at the manufacturing plants of hats in relation to bomb/battle damage in their cities. Thanks for this, it just crossed my mind a couple of times, so I thought it didn't hurt to ask.

This is another P&C Habig I have and the one I mentioned earlier. Really like the colour of this one (comes close to the borsalino that was too large for me). Habig Special Qualität, size 57, brim 6 cm and crown 11 cm at the pinch. Beautiful thin and pliable felt. Odd thing about this one is that the size on the label is in the punti system (so 5) and not metric (57). The last numbers on the label are .../ 49.

habig special_01.jpg habig special_02.jpg habig special_03.jpg habig special_04.jpg habig special_06.jpg habig special_07.jpg habig special_08.jpg habig special_09.jpg habig special_10.jpg

This is another P&C Habig I have and the one I mentioned earlier. Really like the colour of this one (comes close to the borsalino that was too large for me). Habig Special Qualität, size 57, brim 6 cm and crown 11 cm at the pinch. Beautiful thin and pliable felt. Odd thing about this one is that the size on the label is in the punti system (so 5) and not metric (57). The last numbers on the label are .../ 49.

View attachment 72062 View attachment 72063 View attachment 72064 View attachment 72065 View attachment 72066 View attachment 72067 View attachment 72068 View attachment 72069 View attachment 72070

As your impressive collection slowly reveals itself, I must say what a delight it is to have you here, Steur! Thank you, sir.

As your impressive collection slowly reveals itself, I must say what a delight it is to have you here, Steur! Thank you, sir.
HatsRme, thank you. It is very much my pleasure to show them here, where they are appreciated and where I can learn more about them. When I first took an interest in hats this is the place I came to, to read and learn what to look for in hats. If I start talking to my friends or relatives about hats their eyes just glaze over and their mind wanders off (if they don't head for the hills right away that is :D).

HatsRme, thank you. It is very much my pleasure to show them here, where they are appreciated and where I can learn more about them. When I first took an interest in hats this is the place I came to, to read and learn what to look for in hats. If I start talking to my friends or relatives about hats their eyes just glaze over and their mind wanders off (if they don't head for the hills right away that is :D).

It has been my experience that it is best to listen the interests of others first, and then you have the legitimate right to reciprocate. I have had to point that out that "right" at least once. After listening to a newly retired man tell me about his motorcycle collection ad nausea, he told me nobody cared about my hats. I immediately pointed to the fact that I really didn't care about his stupid motorcycles either, but I had listened politely. He stopped in his tracks with a huge grin (HA!) turned to his wife, and said, " Wow, hon, Charlie just cut me down, big time, and he's right!"

RJR

View attachment 72062 View attachment 72063 View attachment 72064 View attachment 72065 View attachment 72066 View attachment 72067 View attachment 72068 View attachment 72069 View attachment 72070
Very nice.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I found this hat today that was sold in Munster.
DSCN1980 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Or made there, don't know which. There don't seem to be any markings on the back of the sweat or elsewhere. It is unlined.
DSCN2010 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Back bow, 2 1/4 to 3/8" brim, ribbon a touch over 2", crown around 5 1/2" open
DSCN1998 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Seems a reasonably nice velour. This is probably the truest shot of the ribbon color.
DSCN1986 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

There are many more photos of it on my Flicker page if you want to toddle over there by clicking on one of the posted photos.

Anyone have ideas about the maker or the age?

Thanks,
Michael

Or made there, don't know which. There don't seem to be any markings on the back of the sweat or elsewhere. It is unlined.
Seems a reasonably nice velour. This is probably the truest shot of the ribbon color.

There are many more photos of it on my Flicker page if you want to toddle over there by clicking on one of the posted photos.

Thanks,
Michael
Waiting with bated breath on responses about this interesting hat. Love the ribbon color, does it seem original?

It has been my experience that it is best to listen the interests of others first, and then you have the legitimate right to reciprocate. I have had to point that out that "right" at least once. After listening to a newly retired man tell me about his motorcycle collection ad nausea, he told me nobody cared about my hats. I immediately pointed to the fact that I really didn't care about his stupid motorcycles either, but I had listened politely. He stopped in his tracks with a huge grin (HA!) turned to his wife, and said, " Wow, hon, Charlie just cut me down, big time, and he's right!"
All of you, thank you for the kind words. As to the hats I must say I kind of like it this way. It's like with music where you have artists you consider your own discovery. If everybody starts liking them it's just not your private enjoyment anymore.

Thanks,
Michael
That is a striking hat, beautiful. These black velour hat always seem blacker than black. I think Steve and Manfred are the best chance for more information on it. I did find a similar one on a Dutch site for vintage hats, just to compare it with. That one is branded Parker, but that doesn't tell us much about where it was made and who made it.

parker4.jpg parker3.jpg parker2.jpg parker1.jpg

Thought I'd post another hat I have in the same colour (more or less) as the Habig I posted earlier. It's a bit darker than the photos might show. This one's a Mayser I picked up for 20 euro in a vintage clothing store. It had a stain on it, which I cleaned out with hardly any effort at all. Mayser, size 56, raw edge, lined. A nice very light brown coulour and darker brown ribbon and bow. Nice as it is, it doesn't have the same feel and moldability as the Habig. The felt is soft and has a beautiful finish but it tends to stay as it is. No idea what
its age might be.

mayser albino_1.jpg mayser albino_2.jpg mayser albino_3.jpg mayser albino_4.jpg mayser albino_5.jpg mayser albino_6.jpg mayser albino_7.jpg

Super! It looks like it could be from around 1949. Really great color combo + form.

Thanks,
Michael
Great find! I am thinking it probably had a liner. My guess would be mid to later 1960s. I am not sure who made it.

Thought I'd post another hat I have in the same colour (more or less) as the Habig I posted earlier. It's a bit darker than the photos might show. This one's a Mayser I picked up for 20 euro in a vintage clothing store. It had a stain on it, which I cleaned out with hardly any effort at all. Mayser, size 56, raw edge, lined. A nice very light brown coulour and darker brown ribbon and bow. Nice as it is, it doesn't have the same feel and moldability as the Habig. The felt is soft and has a beautiful finish but it tends to stay as it is. No idea what
its age might be.

View attachment 72150 View attachment 72151 View attachment 72152 View attachment 72153 View attachment 72154 View attachment 72155 View attachment 72156
My guess would be 1990s maybe a bit earlier or later. Really nice color combination. This hat was Machine Formed so not going to have the pliability of old P. & C. Habig Wien which came Open Crown. Regardless Mayser made high quality hats up to this time period. The German hat companies that survived went totally to Machine Formed hats by the 1960s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana