Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
That is a striking hat, beautiful. These black velour hat always seem blacker than black. I think Steve and Manfred are the best chance for more information on it. I did find a similar one on a Dutch site for vintage hats, just to compare it with. That one is branded Parker, but that doesn't tell us much about where it was made and who made it.

View attachment 72146 View attachment 72147 View attachment 72148 View attachment 72149
Thanks Steur. I really like the play of the green ribbon with the blacker than black velour. I would say the Parker has more taper to the crown than this one.

Great find! I am thinking it probably had a liner. My guess would be mid to later 1960s. I am not sure who made it.
Thanks Steve. I would suspect that a hat of this style would have a liner. Or something attached to the tip if it didn't. The sweatband, which is a very light and supple leather was taped only and never sewn at the seam. The felt is very light and there is a definite snap when the brim is turned down. I'm liking it quite a lot and suspect it will see some head time in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Michael

Thanks Steve. I would suspect that a hat of this style would have a liner. Or something attached to the tip if it didn't. The sweatband, which is a very light and supple leather was taped only and never sewn at the seam. The felt is very light and there is a definite snap when the brim is turned down. I'm liking it quite a lot and suspect it will see some head time in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Michael

It could be a little older. I actually have an old Clerical Hat from this shop. The name changed from A. Spanke to Hut Spanke.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/32-ateha-hutfabrik/#entry266

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Steve, thanks. I thought that would be the cause. It is indeed still a very high quality hat; the felt feels almost like antilope finish (I have one of those too, which I will post soon).
I don't think most people know that Mayser Ulm was a major felt supplier (largest?) up to 1990. They moved all their felt making operations to FEPSA (Portugal) around 1990. I haven't been able to find out the details of the business agreement but FEPSA wasn't a major player prior. Also around the same time period Mayser moved all hat production from Ulm to Lindenberg.

95a27e3c1b0a01c3918548cf9772a85e.jpg

0af8b120e8c366b97a807c450f1ec7ab.jpg

e4605b11081ce2814ee68c6b5cf8c919.jpg

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
+1 some interesting back bow styles. I notice the use of the name Homburg, was it the later years that it became popular?
Good catch, Red. I've been watching the Agatha Christie series Poirot on Netflix and "Poirot" and one other "copper" are habitual Homburg wearers... although I still remember the comments on here saying the term "Homburg" wasn't used in Europe until some time later.

It's fun to know a bit of the history when watching shows or movies that portray times in the 20s - 50s. My wife actually thinks I know something about it now. LOL.

Wow! Wonderful advertising shots! Very cool stuff. Dig that back bow of the guy smoking his pipe!
Thanks! Yes that is a good one.

+1 some interesting back bow styles. I notice the use of the name Homburg, was it the later years that it became popular?
I have only seen it used in the 1950s and later.

Just fantastic, Steve!!!! That Regatta is just stunning! (Why don't we have that applause emoji anymore?????)
Josh, Thank you! Yes it's fantastic. Looks really light weight. It would be nice to find one. :)

Haven't posted a hat the last couple of days, but here's a quick one. Wegener in white, size 58 which I could have used as a swimming pool (Wegener hats tend to run a bit large for me). Brim 7cm and crown 10,5 at the pinch. This one had the weirdest felt I have ever eh... felt. Almost like it was some kind of rubber foam and I had to check wether it was in fact felt at all. The sweatband said it was, but very strange stuff (some kind of treatment maybe?). It had quite a bit of mothing too. Still a nice model and white hats are rare, so worth posting here I think. No labels in the hat.

wegener white_1.jpg wegener white_2.jpg wegener white_3.jpg wegener white_4.jpg wegener white_5.jpg wegener white_6.jpg

Haven't posted a hat the last couple of days, but here's a quick one. Wegener in white, size 58 which I could have used as a swimming pool (Wegener hats tend to run a bit large for me). Brim 7cm and crown 10,5 at the pinch. This one had the weirdest felt I have ever eh... felt. Almost like it was some kind of rubber foam and I had to check wether it was in fact felt at all. The sweatband said it was, but very strange stuff (some kind of treatment maybe?). It had quite a bit of mothing too. Still a nice model and white hats are rare, so worth posting here I think. No labels in the hat.

View attachment 72368 View attachment 72369 View attachment 72370 View attachment 72371 View attachment 72372 View attachment 72373
Quite a statement. I would be afraid to wear it around any food, overhead birds, or dusty dirt roads. Pristine.

Quite a statement. I would be afraid to wear it around any food, overhead birds, or dusty dirt roads. Pristine.
Mike, thanks. I know what you mean and I have the same reservations wearing my light coloured hats. Having said that it is a bit odd that we think of them that way, because I don't have the same feeling about wearing panama hats. So perhaps it's best to wear light coloured felts on cold summer days?

A new addition to the collection. A hat I picked up yesterday and I'm quite happy with because I haven't got one of these yet. For lack of a real brand name: Prima Qualitäts Velourhut, dark blue (not black), size 57 (5 on the label), 6 cm brim and 10,5 cm crown at the
pinch, unlined. More a longhair finish than a velour if you ask me, but who's complaining? "Der Hut mit der Krone" on the label, but no idea who the maker was or about it's age. An older one, judging by the sweatband and bow. Late forties, early fifties maybe?

prima_1.jpg prima_2.jpg prima_3.jpg prima_4.jpg prima_5.jpg prima_6.jpg prima_7.jpg prima_8.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Mike, thanks. I know what you mean and I have the same reservations wearing my light coloured hats. Having said that it is a bit odd that we think of them that way, because I don't have the same feeling about wearing panama hats. So perhaps it's best to wear light coloured felts on cold summer days?
I wear my light colored fur felts on cool summer evenings as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points