Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geronimo Brand 1940's Chinos

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Metatron

One Too Many
Are they low rise, or is the guy just wearing them low? There seems to be a lot of crotch material there.
But I guess emailing them can soon clear things up.

They look like the standard issue most companies have when outsourcing production. They generate a higher rise than standard (they're not that low, after all), but a fly that only takes up half the rise - note how all the buttons are jammed into a relatively small space on these trousers.

Edward

Bartender
I saw them at Goodwood. Quality seemed decent for the price, but can't comment on fit as didn't try them on. Wouldn't be surprised if they're not really a slightly lower, more 50s cut.... IME it's common among people on the rockabilly vendor scene (Geronimo's main target market) to use 40s buzzwords, but stick with later cuts. Not sure why...

Metatron

One Too Many
Well from my limited experience many rockabillies are more about bogus haircuts and tattoos than being faithful to 1950s clothing.

Edward

Bartender
Well from my limited experience many rockabillies are more about bogus haircuts and tattoos than being faithful to 1950s clothing.

Depends where you go, how long people have been around the scene, and so on. It's certainly true that a large proportion of the rockabilly community sees it more as a living, breathing thing that has never gone away - they're living something that never stopped, rather than trying to recreate the past, per se - and so would be less focussed on getting every tiny detail right than we might be.

Metatron

One Too Many
Depends where you go, how long people have been around the scene, and so on. It's certainly true that a large proportion of the rockabilly community sees it more as a living, breathing thing that has never gone away - they're living something that never stopped, rather than trying to recreate the past, per se - and so would be less focussed on getting every tiny detail right than we might be.

Yes, sure, I did not mean the 'bogus' in a derogatory way by the way, just not to my personal taste perhaps.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

I would say that "limited experience" is a crucial clause to the above statement. As Edward pointed out, there is a certain dynamic within devotes of mid-century fashion/music who are commonly referred to as the Rockabilly scene. There are those who are more interested in a stylistic, modern interpretation of the 50s, who are generally focused on aspects of the rockabilly subculture like cars, motorcycles, and contemporary interpretations of the music. That said, in my considerable experience, there are many, Many, MANY people within that particular subculture who are fanatically devoted to authentic music and period correct aesthetics. In fact, some of the best collections of 30s and 40s clothing I am aware of belong to people who are currently active within the rockabilly scene. Further, I find that rockabillies are much more willing to pay good money for vintage than people from other vintage circles. For example, while people on the FL hem and haw if a 30s suit sell for $400, I routinely see and hear of rockabilly collectors paying four and even five time that amount for certain rare, sought after vintage items (who do you think it is paying those astronomical prices of 30s and 40s work wear and motorcycle apparel on eBay?).

Regarding those Geronimo chinos, I would suggest inquiring with the company about the rise of the trousers. Nothing in my experience with that company would lead me to believe they would make a low rise pant to appeal to modern tastes. Geronimo makes (made) some of the highest quality reproductions I've seen. I own several older items made by them (a belted Hollywood jacket and a corduroy shirt) that are spot on as far as accuracy goes.

Last edited:
It is this photo, specifically, that makes me worry. The buttons seem too crammed in, only taking up about half the potential fly area. You end up with a higher than normal rise (as I suspect these have) but an essentially non-functional fly (for those functions we don't mention).

geronimochinosfrontfly_m.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Yes, sure, I did not mean the 'bogus' in a derogatory way by the way, just not to my personal taste perhaps.

No worriee, I get you. There is that element as well as the hardcore.

It is this photo, specifically, that makes me worry. The buttons seem too crammed in, only taking up about half the potential fly area. You end up with a higher than normal rise (as I suspect these have) but an essentially non-functional fly (for those functions we don't mention).

geronimochinosfrontfly_m.jpg

Important, as that colour particularly would show up wee spots very clearly.

Edward

Bartender
I saw them at Goodwood Revival. Geronimo had a stall. Some nice looking bits if you favour the early mid 50s rockabilly look. Similar to some of the Heyday bits, though markedly cheaper and the cloth felt better to my hand. If they're at Rhythm Riot this year and have a changing facility I might try some on at least.

Metatron

One Too Many
I would say that "limited experience" is a crucial clause to the above statement. As Edward pointed out, there is a certain dynamic within devotes of mid-century fashion/music who are commonly referred to as the Rockabilly scene. There are those who are more interested in a stylistic, modern interpretation of the 50s, who are generally focused on aspects of the rockabilly subculture like cars, motorcycles, and contemporary interpretations of the music.

I think 'stylistic, modern interpretation of the 50s' is a more civilised way of putting it. I did not intend my original statement as derogatory.
On a separate note, I definitely think a vintage suit is worth paying good money for if it is what someone has been looking for, and there isn't much chance of finding something similar. Sometimes that *one* item can replace a lot of filler material in one's closet.

Regarding those Geronimo chinos, I would suggest inquiring with the company about the rise of the trousers. Nothing in my experience with that company would lead me to believe they would make a low rise pant to appeal to modern tastes. Geronimo makes (made) some of the highest quality reproductions I've seen. I own several older items made by them (a belted Hollywood jacket and a corduroy shirt) that are spot on as far as accuracy goes.
Thanks for your feedback, that's good to know.

D

Deleted member 16736

I emailed Geronimo customer service asking about the front rise. I'll report back my findings.

UPDATE: Customer service got back to me in a timely manner. On a pair of 36W 40's chinos, the front rise is 13", consistent with vintage patterns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward

Bartender
Interesting they give that. I tried a couple of pairs on - 40" and 42" - at Rhythm Riot this weekend. They didn't look especially low and the fly seemed ok, but they didn't feel right. When I pulled them up to where I'd want to wear them, they felt comfortable enough, but it distorted the crotch and made them look funny. In retrospect, I think it may be that they are cut to have a droopy crotch on them, like dungarees but without the top half / bib / straps. Shame, because the quality actually felt pretty nice. Streets ahead of the likes of Heyday (expensive, cheap modern fabric which bobbles very quickly, stitching often gives - all my personal experience). The buttons are nicely stitched on, seems good quality. I might try a pair on again if I have the opportunity in future when I lose more weight (got another two or three stone I want shifting) and see if they fit my shape better then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112