Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a vintage haircut: what to ask for?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
~Psycho Sue~ said:
Do you dry cut and do the slithering technique to blend as well? I think it is describes as such in that book. I worry that if I get a Middy without the intended cut technique, the tension on the hair will be wrong and not lay right.

Gosh, no! That technique was probably more common in the 1940's, but hairdressing has changed (and for the better.) For example, stylists no longer cut over top of the fingers while holding the ends. Dry cuts should only be used after a wet cut, for details/finishing touches.

I section my hair off in 5 different places while thoroughly wet and use standard styling scissors. Don't worry about technique - A wet cut with modern techniques will give you exactly what you want. If you're going to a stylist, you must make sure they understand exactly what you need this cut for.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
Gosh, no! That technique was probably more common in the 1940's, but hairdressing has changed (and for the better.) For example, stylists no longer cut over top of the fingers while holding the ends. Dry cuts should only be used after a wet cut, for details/finishing touches.

I section my hair off in 5 different places while thoroughly wet and use standard styling scissors. Don't worry about technique - A wet cut with modern techniques will give you exactly what you want. If you're going to a stylist, you must make sure they understand exactly what you need this cut for.

;) Thanks C-dot! Your hair looks adorable so I trust what you say! My mom is a hair dresser who was trained in 1973. She was taught alot of the vintage techniques in school because the little old ladies who still got their hair set in the shops every week demanded the old styles. I trust her to do the Middy for me...AND OVER THANKSGIVING I WILL HAVE HER CUT MY MIDDY! I think it's going to end up to be the short version instead of the long one because my hair is not long enough yet for the middy-long. I am excited about it!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Sounds exciting indeed! The Middy is great because it still works even when it gets longer. The back can grow as much as you like, so long as the top and sides are kept the right length. :)

You American weirdo's, having Thanksgiving in November! lol

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
Sounds exciting indeed! The Middy is great because it still works even when it gets longer. The back can grow as much as you like, so long as the top and sides are kept the right length. :)

You American weirdo's, having Thanksgiving in November! lol
HAHAHA! I think it's a conspiracy devised by pumpkin farmers!

Jirina

New in Town
C-dot said:
I do a middy plus as described in 1940's Hairstyles. Good thing I learned basic hairdressing in high school, because I can't let anyone near my hair lest they cut a strand wrong! People today don't wear hairstyles, they wear haircuts. Stylists don't understand shingling, or the u-shape, so I do it myself.

I have a middy plus right now, but i'm gonna cut this into shorter middy.

"People today don't wear hairstyles, they wear haircuts"

C-dot, you're right. I admit that my friend cut my hair even he is not a hairdresser, but he always listen and compliant what i want and he is a really talented of cutting hair!
I have really bad memories of getting a vintage haircut from the hairdresser.
The hairdresser haven't understand that i want wear curls etc...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Jirina said:
I have really bad memories of getting a vintage haircut from the hairdresser.
The hairdresser haven't understand that i want wear curls etc...

Tell it, sister! Why would you set and style your hair when you can just iron it straight and be so of-the-moment? :eusa_doh:

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Yay the middy!

I did it.. I trusted you guys and got a middy!
I am so excited about playing with styling it, it feels like xmas!
I had to get a middy pls with shorter back bits and no u as my hair had been a bob, but it will grow quick.
I will post pics in the before and after thread when I get the hang of how to do it.
Thanks for the advice on this thread, its priceless.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
Claireg said:
I did it.. I trusted you guys and got a middy!
I am so excited about playing with styling it, it feels like xmas!
I had to get a middy pls with shorter back bits and no u as my hair had been a bob, but it will grow quick.
I will post pics in the before and after thread when I get the hang of how to do it.
Thanks for the advice on this thread, its priceless.

YAY! I am excited for you! I get mine cut by my mom next week!

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I'm waiting for my copy of the Ivan Anderson book to arrive in the mail to take to my salon. I just cut my own bangs and now the rest of my hair is in desperate need of a shape up so I imagine I will probably get a modified middy since the middy long is still a little shorter than I'd like. So excited!

Claireg

One of the Regulars
should we make a specific middy thread to show off how we style it in differnt ways??
I have tried a few differnt ways now - maybe it would be helpful for people wanting to get a middy cut if they could see what we can do with it.
Whaddya reckon??

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Claireg said:
should we make a specific middy thread to show off how we style it in differnt ways??
I have tried a few differnt ways now - maybe it would be helpful for people wanting to get a middy cut if they could see what we can do with it.
Whaddya reckon??

Sounds like a good idea - Ask the Bartenders!

nostalgic

New in Town
*bump*

I didn't want to start a new thread since this already existed....
I am getting my hair cut tomorrow and based on all of the wonderful advice and ideas on this thread, I have decided to cut my bra-strap-length hair into a U-shape that starts at my collarbone and goes back.
Does that sound about right if I'm just looking to add a little more shape to my set and not necessarily volume? Does anyone have this cut (or something similar)? And lastly, how does it look when not styled?!
I'm sorry for all of the questions (I think this is only my second post), but I've only had my hair trimmed/cut once in over two years and I'm a little paranoid :eek:
Any advice or answers are much appreciated!

edited to add: whoops 5th post yay!

Inky

One Too Many
nostalgic said:
Does that sound about right if I'm just looking to add a little more shape to my set and not necessarily volume? Does anyone have this cut (or something similar)? And lastly, how does it look when not styled?!

hi!

I have a basic u-shape cut - my bangs start just under my chin and it goes round in the u-shape right now about 4 inches past my shoulders in the back. I have a very small bit of layering in the very center back area because my hair is heavy and was not holding a curl well. I am planning to add just a bit more when I go for my next color/trim at the end of the month.

I wear my hair side-parted and only style it on weekends. It is wavy/curly and looks fine when not styled. Sometimes I use a cute clip or comb told hold the side(s) back but typically not.

When I do style it I get a very good 40's style and it is very versatile as I learn how to do my hair more and more.

Let us know how it goes for you!

nostalgic

New in Town
thanks inky!

Thank you Inky!
I have not been brave enough to post pics on here yet but I will be sure to take some after I set it (may not be until after the weekend because of my work schedule). If this cuts drying time in any way, shape, or form, life will be good!

mentha

Familiar Face
Does any of the Dutch ladies know of a hairdresser that understands the classics, like the Middy? Preferably in the Utrecht-Den Haag-Rotterdam area ;)
I always go to Kinkky here in Gouda and I'm really happy with them, but I'm not sure if they'll get the whole Middy thing when I ask them...

RueBea

New in Town
Long Middy

I just got the most amazing haircut. Yesterday I had hair down to my waist, now I have an authentic long middy hair cut from the 1040's. I had been wanting this cut for the past 5 years, but had an intense fear of a stylist screwing it up. I bit the bullet, told myself it would grow back.

I took in photos of Rita Hayworth and several diagrams of the middy cut. The stylist followed the diagrams to the "T", and I am extremely happy. I was also able to donate my hair to locks of love and got the hair cut for free. Yay!

Just wanted to share. :)

nostalgic

New in Town
Congrats Miss Bunny! I too second the picture request! I also bit the bullet since my last post and I think it was a healthy experience since I was terrified to cut my hair since I'd started growing it. I don't have a middy, but it's a longer U-shape and it looks so much nicer than having my hair just hang there! The one set I did with it was great (except it rained right after I brushed it out... of course): it actually stayed in spiral curls for a day and then I brushed it out the next. Now I'm thinking I could even go a little shorter.
Oh, I went to a more trendy salon since I'd had a horrible experience at Supercuts (don't laugh, yes I've been there) and went with the "you get what you pay for" theory... within reason :p . The guy was great and very attentive. As he was cutting he all of a sudden said "Oh! Veronica Lake and Jessica Rabbit!" lol I wouldn't say it's quite that but it works.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
does anyone know where I can find a diagram of a long middy for me to take to my hair dresser? She and I have been talking for some time about it and she said that if I can bring her a diagram she can make it any length I want.

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
cherry lips said:
Thank you for showing interest in my hair hahaha! I'm sending cherry blow kisses to you all *smooch*
Here are pics taken this evening when Mary and I went lindy hoppin'.

silkeshr1.jpg

silkeshr2.jpg

silkeshr3.jpg

This is what it looks like at the moment, but you can alter it by the way you brush it, and where you place the part. The hairdresser cut it so as to enhance my natural curls, and then set it. When I walked out it looked like I'd gotten a perm! The back had perfect finger waves, and every curl was in it's proper place. It looked very old-fashioned and fancy, kind of like I was wearing a wig, or like I was a first lady! But after sleeping on it it became messy, and more youthful I think. When I set it myself it's pretty, but it doesn't turn me into the president's wife; I guess I lack the magic hands. Mary, you have to teach me how to finger wave (the back of my head)!

Such a beautiful cut & style cherry lips.
When you went to your hairstylist what did you ask for? Did you take any pictures? If so, what pictures did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ