Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Vintage White Label Vanson ENFIELD

classicinjection

New in Town
01515_aFNKYdnpbvY_600x450.jpg
The measurements have it fitting pretty well if they work out I might try to darken it up a little, if not I'll put it up for sale and continue the search for THE jacket. Has anybody seen a Vanson this color before?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
This looks great. Please experiment on a nonvisible spot with the darkening of the leather, because if it doesn't work out, I may very well be interested if it's my size.

classicinjection

New in Town
The jacket arrived the other day, the fit is pretty good but it smells of cigarette smoke. So now I have to try and get smell out. I tried the dryer with dry sheets that didn't work I burrowed a ozone generator but the wife can't stand the smell it left in the house so I had to cut the treatment short.... next any suggestion. I'm hesitant todo the washer treatment but that's probably what it needs the guys at Vanson recommended using the tub verse a machine if I decide to go that route.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So I use an Ozone generator for vehicles that reek inside, that's perhaps the best suggestion. Run it in an old vehicle, with the jacket hanging up inside. Ozone generators shroud not be use in inhabited spaces. It'll probably take 4-5 one-hour sessions, and you need to leave the car closed up for 24 hours afterwards. That ought to do it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I would wash in a front loader with mild detergent and put it through a whole cycle. I do this often with leathers and it has never damaged a jacket before over many years of doing this. Dry away form heat or it may shrink.

The jacket arrived the other day, the fit is pretty good but it smells of cigarette smoke. So now I have to try and get smell out. I tried the dryer with dry sheets that didn't work I burrowed a ozone generator but the wife can't stand the smell it left in the house so I had to cut the treatment short.... next any suggestion. I'm hesitant todo the washer treatment but that's probably what it needs the guys at Vanson recommended using the tub verse a machine if I decide to go that route.
Hang it outside for a few days, maybe a week. Cig smell will vanish. Don't soak it. No reason to. If you have a garage just leave it over night for a good week. Wipe it down with dryer sheets prior to doing this. Smell will be history. Cig smell is much easier than mold or moth balls.

classicinjection

New in Town
While talking to the Vanson people we were trying to pin down age of the jacket it looks to be pre-numbered version that puts it mid 80s or the number has worn off. It's as thick as my Comet but not quite as thick as my Model D which is really thick. But it's very supple.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hang it outside for a few days, maybe a week. Cig smell will vanish. Don't soak it. No reason to. If you have a garage just leave it over night for a good week. Wipe it down with dryer sheets prior to doing this. Smell will be history. Cig smell is much easier than mold or moth balls.

^^ this - try putting a fan under it for "forced induction" (sorry I'm a gearhead myself) and that should help quite a bit too.

classicinjection

New in Town
I think I have the smell out, I did the ozone thing now it's in a bag with baking soda just to be sure. Next week I'm going to pull it out and worki on some of the water stains and the cuff areas then condition it. I'll post new pics after it's cleaned up.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic! hope it works out well for you. I have a ~1980 black Enfield that I bought off this forum, and I love it, perfectly broken in. Hope yours serves you for many years after properly cleaned up.

classicinjection

New in Town
IMG_3796.JPG
Used Vanson leather conditioner on the jacket today it darkened up a bit as it was pretty dry. It's a little long in the sleeves about an 1" and about 1" wide in the shoulders with a t-shirt on. Overall it fits pretty good. I'll measure it up later if anyone is interested in it I'm looking for something a little darker but similar in style just a tad bit smaller.
How do you determine when you have enough conditioner in the leather?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
God, this looks amazing. If I ever find something like that in a size 40, I'll jump at it..

If the leather isn't stiff nor feels dry, it's good.

classicinjection

New in Town
I might have a trade for you. Vanson model A. It's a size 42" but fits more trim. Dark Brown.
View attachment 84118 [/QUOT
Nice jacket you don't see a lot of Vansons in Brown. I'm looking for a regular style collar verses the cafe style, i have a Comet and Model B. I'm tying to find a more casual style and fit along the lines of a Highwayman or Halfbelt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112