Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
hey all- who's got pics of ghost signs?

y'know- the ones painted up on buildings back in the golden era that have faded to almost nothing.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A search on your Google or Yahoo using "antique signs" or "antique road signs" "vintage signs" "vintage neon signs". "old brick building" gets better results than "vintage." Substituting the word antique for vintage produces a few different images, but some cross over. For some more fun look up vintage, old or antique gas stations and there'll be those and associated road signage. "Old" and "vintage motel sign" gets lots of neat images. "faded sign" gets some as well as "ghost sign."

Old, vintage and antique work well with singluar of sign, building instaed of plural. Get more hits with "...sign" than with "...signs."

My screensaver/wallpaper utility is a freebee from webshots.com and I have all sorts of categories with 1000s of pics including "Places" where I have old buildings, signs and landscapes.

Have fun looking!;)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I've seen a couple around various buildings around Downtown LA and Hollywood. I'm glad to know they've survived for so long

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
An old ad was uncovered then re-covered too soon.

A while ago some siding was removed from a San Francisco office building. it uncovered a 1950s Shasta soft drink ad painted on the side. Someone from the building told Shasta's headquarters. Representatives came out to find that it had been painted over almost immediately.:(

Sincerely,
The WOLF

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ghost signs have been a passion of mine since I was a little girl!

We used to have a lovely specimen downtown here -- the slowly-fading remains of a Coca-Cola sign on the side of a drugstore that had been on the same corner for at least 80 years. I used to use it as a landmark when telling people how to find me ("turn left at the Coke sign..."), but this summer a local bank bought that entire block and evicted the drugstore and the other tenants in order to turn it into their corporate headquarters. Before I had a chance to run down with my camera to get a last shot, they'd sandblasted every bit of the old paint off the wall. I'm still fuming over that.

When the theatre where I work was being restored a couple years back, they took off some awful aluminum siding to reveal a brick wall with the barely-visible traces of a Socony gasoline sign from the "Fireproof Garage" that used to be next door. Those bricks, alas, were too far gone to save -- and the restoration didn't go so far as to repaint the sign!

In Lewiston, Maine, about two hours from here, there's an absolutely gorgeous Uneeda Biscuit wall -- it's facing away from the sun most of the time, so it's faded very little -- and the colors still pop.

Johnny Dollar

New in Town
i remember when living down in charlottesville, virginia, i would see ghost signs all the time when buildings were torn down or renovated.

here in baltimore, the place is lousy with ghost signs. there are flickr groups as mentioned above. the best one by far is the one in fell's point to vote against prohibition:

402882649_9913853e89_z.jpg

this is my other favorite:

485492097_244b17b600_z.jpg

Johnny Dollar

New in Town
thanks!

here is another one - it was recently "restored," i.e. painted to look like new, but i loved the old version so much better.

2559242554_a5357d2478_z.jpg

you can see this on the west side of 83 north as you are driving through baltimore.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Near to where I work. Isn't that a great name for matches...PUCK!! like Puck of Shakespeare fame :)
And a long gone Cafe of the 30's / 40's on the side of the Art Deco Co-operative Building.

ARTDECOPLACESNE006.jpg

ARTDECOPLACESNE002.jpg

ARTDECOPLACESNE007.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
About half way between Mohave and Barstow, California there is a sign - an old neon one that at one time spelled out "Rock's....Cafe".

Well, Rock's burned down many years ago, judging from the grass that has grown over the foundation, but the sign is still there, pointing at an empty space. Absolutely wonderful.

2955750795_d48be9f5e6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana