Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

I think the "Fireproof" angle was more a response to the many gigantic urban fires of the 19th and early 20th centuries. It wasn't just warehouses advertised as "Fireproof," it was any building made of concrete, steel, and brick -- theatres, ballparks, apartment houses, anything like that. There was a low asbestos-and-steel building behind the theatre here which opened in 1923 as "The Fireproof Garage," and was build shortly after a disastrous fire which had wiped out the entire block.

Meanwhile, so far as Ghost Signs are concerned, do you know the work of Frank Jump? He's a New York-based photographer who's done a lot of documentation of the city's old painted wall signs. His book, "Fading Ads of New York City," is a must for any coffee table.

I know the book (we have it, but many of our books are in storage as we are going to move) - and, yes, he's done a great job. We are a sucker for books that capture / document "old" New York.

Okay, so my last ghost picture posts were a bit depressing as we saw a gorgeous ghost sign buried behind a new building.

Today, I snapped the below pictures of a new sign (last year or two, I think) done in, IMHO, a very Golden Era style. It's great to see at least a few new ones like this still being created (for those in NYC who want to see it, it's on 57th Street just west of Park Avenue). I took many pictures of it, but owing to its location (and my limited skills), it was hard to get a really good shot - these were the two best:

And a close up of the guy

In keeping with the 'fire-proof storage' theme
906301c01fa9c1032ec4a8f988e0623a.jpg

This one's technically not a ghost yet. The street level has been converted into a restaurant, but the upper floors are still in use as storage units.

Apologies for the poor quality phone pic.

So I'm running an errand today and I came across the below ghost sign which might just be the world's most expensive ghost sign if we judge it by real-estate prices.

It is on the corner of 5th Avenue and 57th Street in NYC. On one corner is Tiffany's, another is Harry Winston (a jewelry store that if you have to ask the price, you don't go in - many of the stars at the Oscars are loaned these six- and seven-figure jewels for the evening) and a third side is Bergdorf Goodman - one of the world's most expensive department stores. At one point, this was the most expensive retail real estate location in the world (if it isn't, as this stuff changes, it is still near the top).

So I was really surprised to see - peaking up over Bergdorfs - a clearly very old savings bank sign (in surprisingly good shape). I also included a picture of Bergdorf (this is not like any department store that Fading Fast shops in - it's more like a collection of incredibly high-end brands) and a picture of the building on the other side of the sign which is 9 West 57th Street. 9 West is also a famous building for both its architecture (the sloping glass front was never done on that scale before this building) and its incredible views of Central Park. It was also the building where Chandler from the TV show "Friends" worked.

I didn't think (I have a small brain) to snap a picture of 9 West that captures the slope of the glass on the bottom floors as I wasn't thinking about that fact when I was taking the pictures (but you can Google 9 West 57th Street and, then, hit "images" and they come right up).

The sign:

Bergdorf Goodman's:

And 9 West:

dc38708bfb3c42a294f973e1d22bcb62.jpg

Sorry for the drive-by shot. Snapped this downtown today. This place was still open back when I was in high school. They're still around, only in a different location, and they only do police and fireman uniforms now, no marching band or anything else.

1983dc75149fdb840e86eeaffd828911.jpg

Spotted this one today. The building now houses, among other things, a print shop and a branch of the post office.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Going up a few posts above ^^ I think I know exactly where that Fire Proof Storage Warehouse is (or was.) It's on Massachusetts Avenue in Cambridge, right? There's something particularly wonderful about that ghost sign: if you stand in precisely the right place, the other building blocks out part of the sign, and you can read the following legend: Ire Proof Rage Warehouse.

That always gave me a huge giggle.

Edward

Bartender
I am pleased to report that this unit's redecoration has been completed, a new business has recently opened, and - to date - they seem not to have any inclination to paint over the old sign. I must try and get an updated photo in case that changes.

20140519_210921_zpseomq4noa.jpg

This is a commercial outlet on Whitechapel Highh Street, East London. The buildings in this row, at least those which survived a hefty remodelling of the East End courtesy of the Luftwaffe, are predominantly late Victorian. This one was an internet cafe when I first moved in to the area in 2001; as the time for those passed, it shut and reopened as a Bangladeshi fast food outlet. In the last ocuple of years, there has been a lot of investment in cleaning and tidying up the shop fronts along the High Street, which has really improved the look of the area. This shop frontage is in an ongoing process of rebuilding. Stripped back, it has uncovered an early 20th century signage. No idea what the original business was, though it could have been a clothing retail or tailor's site, as the area was well known for its Jewish tailors in the thirties. Lovely old sign to see - a shame it'll eventually be covered up with something new.

Splinty it's ALWAYS GREAT to see a post from you! And in keeping with the Coke motif today (from yesterday, actually) from Main St. in Manchester, New Hampster. This is what happens if you mix flour and Coke; double vision...?
IMG_7014.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
This one emerged when building was pulled down. A new building has gone up hiding it again.

You can see below remnants of posters advertising movies. One of them I noticed was advertising a silent film about war. It was dated 1919.

sign.jpg

That sign is cool, and very well preserve Seb Lucas, but the old posters are (were) a real treat.

Great Coke signs Justin and Charlie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points