Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost signs

Downtown Richmond, VA

19f499924d2141044dbbc4b1059aa990.jpg

^^^ There was a time when pool halls were considered déclassé and contributing to the delinquency of minors, etc. Now we have the Internet so all that can happen in the privacy of anyone's home or, really, anywhere with mobile. Great sign though.

I debated putting this one in vintage roadside as the sign isn't really ghosted, but it is still a great example of what I think is a 1920s sign that has been kept up as the Hotel Wellington was built in 1929 and has operated continually under that name since opening. I like that the hotel is tucked in amongst similar pre-war buildings (note the Art Deco trim on the building just past the Wellington) so you get a bit of a time-travel feel from this picture. I did my best not to capture newer architecture (couldn't keep the modern skyscraper at the back from peaking in) but still prominently show the sign.

In doing some quick Internet research, I found this modern-day picture of its lobby - clearly Art Deco was the driving theme (didn't find any original photos - yet):

LizzieMaine

Bartender
P1020030.jpg

This sign in Belfast, Maine is one I grew up with. The building was, in the years of my childhood, a clothing/Army-Navy store called "Kilroy's," and the Coca-Cola sign was painted over by a bright yellow, red, and black sign advertising the Dubble-Ware brand of work clothing sold at the store. When I was young, only the COC of the Coke sign, and the part to its left which read "Delicious and Refreshing" were visible. But the Dubble-Ware sign abraded and faded steadily over the years, and is now almost entirely gone.

Coke signs in general seem to be the most durable of late 19th/early 20th century wall signs -- and for good reason. They used paint with a very high lead content, which soaked into the brickwork and was highly resistant to weathering. That's also why they tend to be left alone -- they require hazardous-waste protocols to sandblast off.

kaiser

A-List Customer
P1020030.jpg

This sign in Belfast, Maine is one I grew up with. The building was, in the years of my childhood, a clothing/Army-Navy store called "Kilroy's," and the Coca-Cola sign was painted over by a bright yellow, red, and black sign advertising the Dubble-Ware brand of work clothing sold at the store. When I was young, only the COC of the Coke sign, and the part to its left which read "Delicious and Refreshing" were visible. But the Dubble-Ware sign abraded and faded steadily over the years, and is now almost entirely gone.

Coke signs in general seem to be the most durable of late 19th/early 20th century wall signs -- and for good reason. They used paint with a very high lead content, which soaked into the brickwork and was highly resistant to weathering. That's also why they tend to be left alone -- they require hazardous-waste protocols to sandblast off.
Good point about the lead, it can have a very enduring legacy, just think about what is going on in Flint Michigan right now.

P1020030.jpg

Of course you know this: You and the three-remaining-seventy-years-of-service Coca-Cola employees are the only people on planet earth who do. I am consistently awed by your wealth of knowledge. Kudos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk