Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Baggers

Practically Family
BT's right, it does look like a Wolesley, but without seeing a shot of the helmet's profile, or even a 3/4 view, it's impossible to say for certain.

Be advised, however, that there are helmets out there being advertised as Wolesleys that have no resemblance to the real thing beyond having an extended rear brim.

And I don't recall seeing a real Wolesley in either of the new Mummy films. However, it's been awhile since I've seen them and could definitely be having a "senior moment." ;)

Cheers!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Thanks guys. I didn't post a profile photo because this helmet is an American dress helmet similar to the British 'Zulu' style and also has a decorative spike on top. Mostly I wanted to find out about the shape of the brim. The extended back on the helmets (like those in 'Out of Africa') made me think of the Wolseley, but all the repros I've encountered online have a distinct peak to the front brim (not the nicely rounded shape). Guess I'll have to track down some originals. Other than 'the bay' are there any other sources I should know about?
-Mike

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Great, New/Old Pith Helmet-

Just picked up this old Pith Helmet/Sola Topee and a 1924 copy of Thomas Cook's
"India, Burma and Ceylon, information for travellers and residents".

The Helmet is the kind I like, tall, with the quilted covering.
It has a nice lining, sweatband and suspension and is very tidy inside and out.
Back in the day, they thought a red lining would protect one from the Sun's rays...

***Bartender- feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread if necessary.

Pics-
sorry about the blur- I was avoiding using the flash.

DSCN2641.jpg

DSCN2640.jpg

DSCN2643.jpg

DSCN2642.jpg

DSCN2644.jpg

DSCN2645.jpg

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Guys-

Still fine tuning the Khaki outfit-
I have a couple of will-do-in-a-pinch efforts
but Shanghai and an overdue arrival from Delhi may find the answer to the problem...

I await my Tailored Khaki Adventuring Sports Coat and Trousers from my last, ill-fated trip to India:
High-waist trousers, high armholes (of course)and multi-pleated, yoked, belted back...

Shanghai in less than 2 weeks... then on to NZ.
Can't wait.

Speedster- I'm looking for a tape measure- can't find one- may have to go out and buy one.
I always pinch a stash of paper ones from IKEA, great for the wallet and the travelling clothes hunter- but the cupboard was bare...

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi Dan-
Hopefully something will arrive next week by courier from India.
My Mother in Law sent the parcel from Delhi on Wednesday.

A couple of months has elapsed between my giving explicit instructions in writing, photos, diagrams, clothing samples and pigeon-Hindi to the ancient Taylor-to-the-Raj, and his commencement of the project- I hope he was still up to speed and thoroughly versed in the intricacies of my gear.

I hope ALL was still clear and fresh in his mind.

I hope.

We'll see soon.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
Will this be a pre-production test suit for Fedora Loungers in need of classic/vintage style clothes??:D

If it's Adventuring attire of the Khaki Drill variety you desire and you're somewhere in North Africa, the Middle East or the Tropics, 1920-1939, then it may well be right up your cup of pie...

I may make a few, if friends so desire.
May make a few friends, if I so desire.

Speedster- when I'm able and have something worthy of viewing, I'll invite you around to mine for a look-see.
A month or two should do.

B
T

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for showing that hat.
Seeing it gives a good idea of how they
worked. I guess the quilted padding held
the water that cooled the air as it passed through.

I hope to find one in my size some day.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Sola Topi

Thanks Douglas and Feltfan.

I think the padding is just a "khaki flourish"...

An embellishment where there isn't so much room to do so.

BUT having said that and having seen a "spine protector" from the British Raj years... red lining and quilted cover (connects to the shirt or jacket)for the nape of the neck and spine... to protect One from the Sun's rays... probably caused more heatstroke than anything else.
Especially over the British Army's wool shirt.

So maybe it had a practical intention but not a good idea in practicality.
Extra insulation from the death rays.

I'm well acquainted with the Pith Helmet... water... evaporation... refrigeration application but I'm sure it wasn't used much, especially about Town.
Most of the Pith Helmets left in good condition are probably not from such salty adventures.

It looks nice though, doesn't it..?

I have several but this is by far the best.

Thanks again,

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points