Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glamour's Golden Age: Beautiful and Damned

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Saw this on BBC4 last night. Very interesting and some good footage to go with interesting stories.

Strangely, I can't understand why they insisted on using 'Swing, Swing, Swing' (late 30s) to footage of people dancing the Charleston, over and over. Also there is alot of 30s film slipped in there too, and possibly even some early 40s. A minor gripe - it was really very good.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I watched it today as I had the day off to go to the vets with Rufus and after that was over I was at a loss for something to do.
It was amazing!

Annichen

Familiar Face
Oh god! I hope this ends up on youtube or somewhere so I can watch it, I love 20s/30s London/Bright Young Things ballyhoo:eek:
There is hardly any documentaries about this, no clue why..it is really juicy!

Annichen

Familiar Face
Oh wait! Is it the program that starts with the Adam & the Ants "Prince Charming" song?
Deals with the main people of the Bright Young People,especially Stephen Tennant & Elizabeth Ponsonby?
In case, BRILLIANT program!
The whole Glamour's Golden Age series is really good.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Yep, that's the one! I thought it was really cool, and they show clips from Stephen Fry's film Bright Young Things, which I'd never heard of but now want to see... made me want to read some Waugh as well, which is BAD as I have a university reading list to get through.

Americans... maybe there is something you can download to hide where your computer is from? Do you understand what I mean? I know some of my friends have them so they can stream TV from American websites without being blocked.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Stephen_Tennant_1924.jpg

Photographed by Cecil Beaton

"I Love stephen Tennants Biography, he spent his whole life ( well lots of it) in bed"

Serious Pleasures (the book) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serious-Pleasures-Life-Stephen-Tennant/dp/0140165320

Stephen James Napier Tennant (21 April 1906 - 28 February 1987) was a British aristocrat known for his decadent lifestyle. It is said, albeit apocryphally, that he spent most of his life in bed.
He was born in England, the youngest son of a Scots peer, Lord Glenconner, and the former Pamela Wyndham, one of The Souls. His mother was also a cousin of Lord Alfred Douglas (1870-1945), Oscar Wilde's lover and a sonneteer. On his father's death, Tennant's mother married Lord Grey, a fellow bird-lover. Tennant's eldest brother was Edward - "Bim" - who was killed in the First World War.

During the twenties and thirties, Tennant was an important member - the "Brightest", it is said - of the "Bright Young People." His friends included Rex Whistler, Cecil Beaton, the Sitwells, Lady Diana Manners and the Mitford girls part of the set that made the Nordstrom Sisters popular at The Ritz in 1939. He is widely considered to be the model for Cedric Hampton in Nancy Mitford's novel Love in a Cold Climate; one of the inspirations for Lord Sebastian Flyte in Waugh's Brideshead Revisited, and a model for Hon. Miles Malpractice in some of his other novels.
Also during the 1920s and 1930s, Tennant had an affair with the poet Siegfried Sassoon.[1] Prior to this he had proposed to a friend, Elizabeth Lowndes, but had been rejected. (Hoare relates how Tennant discussed plans with Lowndes about bringing his Nanny with them on their honeymoon.) His relationship with Sassoon, however, was to be his most important: it lasted some four years before Tennant off-handedly put an abrupt end to it. Sassoon was reportedly depressed afterwards for three months, until Sassoon married in 1933 and became a father in 1936.
For most of his life, Tennant tried to start or finish a novel - Lascar. It is popularly believed that he spent the last 17 years of his life in bed at his family manor at Wilsford, Wiltshire, which he had redecorated by Syrie Maugham. Though undoubtedly idle, he was not truly lethargic: he made several visits to the United States and Italy, and struck up many new friendships, despite his later reputation as a recluse. This became increasingly true only towards the last years of his life. Yet even then, his life was not uneventful: he became landlord to V. S. Naipaul who immortalised Tennant in his novel The Enigma of Arrival. When Tennant died in 1987, he had far outlived most of his contemporaries.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
Americans... maybe there is something you can download to hide where your computer is from? Do you understand what I mean? I know some of my friends have them so they can stream TV from American websites without being blocked.

the term most often used is "IP Address blocker"... ;) it makes it look like you're in whatever country you select... I have to use it to sign into some of my US accounts so they don't freak out and think they're being hacked.... (I live in a tiny developing country in the Balkans, so it always looks suspicious to account monitors...) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112