Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

goatskin or lambskin

kojax

Practically Family
everybody is running scared here lol......i am getting a civil a-2 made of goatskin and the other jacket g-1 made of lambskin. i think the g-1 will be lighter then the goatskin......thank you people you are great

H.Johnson

One Too Many
As with most leathers the tanning and preparation makes a lot of difference to the appearance and durability of the leather. The question was about a particular type of jacket that should be made from goatskin for authenticity. That's the natural answer, but I'd like to put in a good word for 'hair off' lambskin, providing it's 'done right', it's as durable as you would need.

Millions of 1940s and 50s 'bike jackets can't be wrong...

In the fairly recent past...I collected many vintage MC jackets including Buco...Schott...Sear's & Wards versions...Langlitz..(Among others). All made in steer...HH..and occasionally goat. Are these "millions of hair-off lamb '40-'50s bike jackets(bicycle)?..or MC (biker)jackets? Exclusive to Europe? Here in the states,lamb,is used for "fashion" jackets that may resemble a style of jacket of more durability. A2 flight jackets become "lamb" fashioned Bomber jackets. In fact..I don't recall even a cheap Rock 'n roll concert Brando type jacket constructed of "lamb'...but I could be wrong on that. Vintage hair-on HH vintage jackets do show up on occassion...but I'm not familiar with the term "hair-off" Lambskin....let alone..hair-on lamb. Can you elaborate? Wool-off sheep would certainly seem to be fragile.
HD

rgraham

A-List Customer
Here's a lambskin motorcycle jacket. I doubt you'd want to actually ride a motorcycle wearing one. The price seems reasonable. :rolleyes:

J

john z

H.Johnson said:
...but I'd like to put in a good word for 'hair off' lambskin, providing it's 'done right', it's as durable as you would need.

Millions of 1940s and 50s 'bike jackets can't be wrong...
I am understanding by "'hair off' lambskin" you mean a sheepskin shorn of its wool?

As for millions of 40s/50s bike jackets I think you'll find the skins of choice were Horse, Steer, Goat & Cow. I would think it highly unlikely that any motorcycle jacket designer appreciating the desired function of the product would specify Lambskin to protect against abrasion & puncture.

Just my understanding, not necessarily fact.

Peacoat

Bartender
Lambskin gives as much protection in the event of a "go down" as this T-shirt I am wearing while doing 18' circles, locked and scraping all the way around. Of course if you don't ride a motor, lambskin will work just fine. This pic is for you H. Daddy.

Motorcop49-1.jpg

J

john z

Peacoat said:
Lambskin gives as much protection in the event of a "go down" as this T-shirt I am wearing while doing 18' circles, locked and scraping all the way around. Of course if you don't ride a motor, lambskin will work just fine. This pic is for you H. Daddy.

Motorcop49-1.jpg
Pic 1 in a series of 2 to demonstrate lacerations received when falling from your motorcycle are the same in a T as in a Lambskin jacket???

Pic 2 is eagerly awaited :D

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While my lambskin was very beautiful it simply did not fit in with my intended purpose. While riding my bicycle I was concerned about falling off and getting scrapes and cuts. And of course, destroying my jacket.:eusa_doh:

Peacoat said:

Motorcop49-1.jpg

Come on Summertime! I wanna go:( ...even if it's just in circles....:D
HD

bobjones

A-List Customer
john z said:
Lambskin is fragile & tears relatively easily.

Goatskin is THE most abrasion resistant leather hence being the material of choice for the best motorcycle leathers.

I, and I would believe many others, would strongly disagree. 5 oz. FQHH such as what Aero Leather or Lost Worlds offers would protect FAR greater protection in a motorcycle fall than any goatskin I've seen.

Even heavy steer or cowhide would do better than goat, IMO.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Here is a snippet from the Langlitz website. They are pretty well known for their leather motorcycle apparel. For what it's worth.

"Leather Choices
English Deutsch

Leather choices are also something to consider. While black has many advantages and is considered the norm for most bikers who want the traditional look, we offer many colors of cowhide.

You can order our garments in light-, medium-, or heavy-weight leather, depending on your personal preference. Our medium weight is most popular, as it provides good protection and comfort.

We also have lightweight goatskin for those who want the ultimate in luxury without sacrificing strength. These hides are extremely supple with a more textured finish than our cowhide. They are also more water resistant and extremely durable. Ross discovered the advantages of goatskin when he learned about working with leather in the glove industry prior to founding Langlitz Leathers. We continue to offer it to those who want something a bit more comfortable yet still durable. "

Peacoat

Bartender
I have heard, probably on this Forum, that goatskin is the most abrasion resistant of the hides. If true, that feature, coupled with the water resistant nature of the hide and its comfortability, would make it the overwhelming choice of serious motorcycle riders. But I don't see motorcycle jackets routinely offered in goatskin. The post by rgraham above quoting Langlitz is the first goatskin motorcycle jacket offering I have seen. Nor do I, after comparing my goatskin jackets to my motorcycle jackets in different hides, believe that goatskin is the most abrasion resistant.

If anyone has seen studies of the various hides for abrasion resistance, please let us know. I have seen studies comparing the resistance of cowhide and denim jackets (not much comparison), but none comparing the different hides.

While we have moved away from the original topic somewhat, we are still in the ballpark as goatskin is 1/2 of the thread topic. Now, to get us completely back on topic (I think it was pretty well played out anyway), Goatskin vs. Lamb? No question about it--take the goatskin.

rgraham

A-List Customer
I think one problem with any comparison is that not all leathers of the same animal are treated the same during the tanning process. Results vary, so to compare is tough. I'm pretty sure that you could make a fairly sturdy lambskin (though never enough for motorcycle use), and a very weak horsehide. For riding, thickness accounts for a lot in the protection department. I think you want a leather that would allow you to slide on the pavement rather than stick to it.

kojax

Practically Family
g-1 jacket

the only reason i am picking the g-1 lambskin from gibson -barnes i just will be wearing it out i am salesman really not working with it.......i have a a-2 from gibson barnes goatskin very light jacket to....

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kojax said:
the only reason i am picking the g-1 lambskin from gibson -barnes i just will be wearing it out i am salesman really not working with it.......i have a a-2 from gibson barnes goatskin very light jacket to....

Hey Ko you do not have to apologize for getting your beautiful jacket; just enjoy it.

I am glad I got the Goatskin took a spill mountain biking in Massachusetts I was clocked at 37 MPH. Jacket looks brand new

J

john z

bobjones said:
I, and I would believe many others, would strongly disagree. 5 oz. FQHH such as what Aero Leather or Lost Worlds offers would protect FAR greater protection in a motorcycle fall than any goatskin I've seen.

Even heavy steer or cowhide would do better than goat, IMO.
Well I'm afraid you & the "many others" are wrong. It's a well known fact the strength-to-weight ratio of goatskin is higher than other leathers. Hence the best motorcycle racing leathers are made of goat - lightweight, supple & tough.

Here's a quote from the site linked below,

"Why Goatskin Gloves?
Goatskin is renowned for being the leather offering the highest abrasion resistance available. In addition, goatskin gloves provide you above normal finger dexterity, allowing you to do many more things without having to remove the gloves."

http://www.chilhowee.net/motorcycle-gloves/GL-IM011.html#here

I do agree with you in as much that my 4oz HH LWs J23 would allow me to feel less pain from bumps/blows due to falling than would one of my goat G1s. That would be due to the "padding' effect offered by the thicker hide.

IMO..I think goat is probably the most resistant to abrasion especially considering how thin most goat hides are when used for jackets. The thicker a goat coat...the unique stiffness of the hide comes into play,tho. It seems goat can tend to retain it's cardboardlike finish in more robust hides. Although Heavy FQHH(such as Aero's) can be a handful of stiffness when new....HH seems to offer a somewhat waxy pliability that can soften much easier with wear comparaed to heavy goat. Imagine goat hide as thick and heavy as FQHH.
Some MC riders contend that the thicker the leather hide..the more safety and protection. However..consider that MC racers wear racing suits of fairly thin (usually steer or cow)hides. Flexability...freedom of movement is of prime consideration. Armor inserts are offered for key abrasion points such as shoulders...elbows...knees..but many riders feel that even these(in some circumstances) are cumbersome. MC racers are under continual stress...but even street riders also need flexability of movement for any sudden event..along with the concern of something between them and the pavement.
However..in my view...Goat hide has a certain "coldness" about it..even with a decent lining...where most other hides seem to be more comfy for me.
I still contend that Lambskin although soft and comfortable..and can look quite nice...is susceptible to rough up or more than likely tear during the slightest scrape. Treated with kidgloves:) ,tho..Lambskin can last many years.
HD

Vince

New in Town
Goatskin!

Dear Kojax:

Not to sound like an echo,-but yes goatskin is the better! I have a Cooper and it is waiting for the artwork ( my Welsh girlfriend has agreed to pose ala 1943!) so it had to be the goatskin!

Vince:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points