Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin vs Horsehide

thor

One Too Many
Gyms. Aaaarggg. They smell. Not to mention the whatever-replaced-disco music, the crappy daytime tv, and the sweat on everything.

On the other hand, If you come out looking like Daniel Craig it's well worth it!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Is this a thread for goat/horse advice or a thread about slagging my jacket ;). I based it off the Buzz Rickson Civilian model flight jacket and some input from a member. http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/images/br_avcoat_mont_blk.jpg. The chest pocket is perfect for my cell phone and I love it. The length problem happened as I was told by Aero that they do not do a front length measurement but only back length, which I stated as 26 inches, the front of the jacket is two inches shorter than that. That's all I will say about this now :).

Apologies, Eq, I had no idea that was your jacket :D . I didn't mean to slag it off, and as you say it has historical precedent, so that's me told.

Edward, I have a pair of G1s on my LHB, and tbh, I don't really use the right hand one at all, and try to keep my other one as lightly loaded as possible (iPod, a shrapnel-free wallet) mainly to avoid ruining the line of the jacket. I can layer one of Aero's heavy Harris sweaters under it comfortably in a size 36* - LHB's have generous armholes that I reckon could accommodate almost any chunky knitwear without feeling constricted. *due to regular gym habit, I'm afraid;)

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Only if Rachel Weisz comes with the package.

To get back on topic...anyone have any pix of her wearing goat or horse?

rachel-weisz-giveaway-jacket.png

Edward

Bartender
Is this a thread for goat/horse advice or a thread about slagging my jacket ;).

Ha! Small world, eh? ;)

I based it off the Buzz Rickson Civilian model flight jacket and some input from a member. http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/images/br_avcoat_mont_blk.jpg. The chest pocket is perfect for my cell phone and I love it. The length problem happened as I was told by Aero that they do not do a front length measurement but only back length, which I stated as 26 inches, the front of the jacket is two inches shorter than that. That's all I will say about this now :).

Interesting, I've not seen that Buzz before. I think the stitching round the pockets on it aids it somehow. (Not that yours is bad, just personal taste!) Does this design date to the late twenties, around the time zips were just starting to become more common? I love Buzz's civilian stuff, especially the Air Transport coats.

As for goat vs horse hide from my limited experience I can only echo what has already been stated, that goat is much more supple at once and doesn't seem to age. I suppose you must ask yourself if you want to age with your jacket or have one of you stay young :D.

Heh. Maybe too where and how you want to wear it. For an office coat (for those whose work environment allows that) with collar and tie, the goat might be better. I know with my A2s - ELC horse, and Aero goat (both seal) - it's the latter I reach for (despite the squadron patch) more often for collar and tie rather than denim casual, simply because it looks that much tidier.

The jacket or Rachel? BOTH! 

I'm happy to share with you. You can have the jacket.... ;)

armscye

One of the Regulars
Back to Horse vs Cowhide

Getting back to horse vs goat, I think it is important to define our terms correctly: many have reported that horse has abrasion resistance superior to all other common jacket materials (except possibly kangaroo). But abrasion in a scooter crash is not the same thing as longevity over time or resistance to aging.

In my experience looking at new and old jackets for 25 years, horsehide is not the most long-lived leather, especially if ill-maintained. Goat has greater long term resistance to cracking IMO, and as others have noted, shows less evident wear. I attribute this to the very tough outermost layer of goat-- which I've found literally bends even chisel-tip needles if you're trying to effect a repair-- plus more internal oils. Goat also seems to hold dyes well, and to resist mold better.

Yes, horsehide develops interesting creases and graining over time, and eventually has the most evident antique patina. But both horse and cowhide eventually show over-stressed fold lines as gray or tan creases, which then crack if not lubricated. I have never encountered a fold crack in goat.

Most loungers see horsehide's patina as desirable, and are eager to maintain their jackets, which mitigates these differences. Indeed most of our jackets could outlive us, even if made of the lesser leathers like pig and lamb. But for ultimate endurance, I believe goat is the leather to pass on to your granchildren.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk