Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going vintage from a shaved head...

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First of all: what you are doing is wonderful! :clap:
Second (and this is coming from a girl who shaved her head [size=-2]..rather bad perm made me do it[/size] some years ago):
1. HATS, hats, hats. In all form, all colors.. because you'll be getting a LOT of "What's wrong with her" looks, even in these, modern, times. And, the looks will get be best of you, no matter how much you try to ignore them.
That leads me to: 2. IGNORE. Ignore the looks, all of them, from "Oh, my, poor girl with leukemia", over "She's gotta be an ex-punk" looks, to "I guess she's never having a bad hair day" look (followed by a giggle on their own joke)
3. As the hair grows (and let's hope it'll grow stronger, better and more awesome than mine), you can always try 1930s short hairstyles.

..happy growing! :high5:

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Hi Everyone - thanks so much for all your wonderful suggestions and kind words :) It's been a little while now since i did the shave (raised about $1500 in the end !) I have to say I'm loving it! I didn't go fully bald - just to a no.2 buzz cut on the sides and a little longer (a 3 or 4 I think) on the top :) I definitely have got quite a few stares but to be honest they don't bother me very much - I do feel bad when people look at me with pity though :( I've worn a few berets and I've been looking at getting some cute headbands after reading your suggestions - it is still way too short to actually clip anything in...

So here are a few pics..

I got my head shaved in the city at a stand they set up for people doing the event - there were people from local radio there and a bit of a crowd :/

P1000376.jpg

and after...

581653_10152635272995507_480736485_n.jpg

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
You are all so brave! I'm getting married next year, and as soon as I do, I am shaving one side of my head. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and do it before the wedding.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone :) Thought I'd do an update for you a few months on - I went back to my beloved red hair about a month ago - I wanted to leave it a while before colouring again so as not to completely ruin my hair (I dyed it several different colours in the lead up to the shave to raise more money) and its now long enough to try a few different things and pin it back (!) thanks for all your suggestions - in the end I wore a lot of berets, cloches and headbands :) frogive the bad picture quality I had to take them with my computer :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk