Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Age Comic Books

Corto

A-List Customer
Mr Vim said:
For whatever reason, I cannot post the pics I have of some The Spirit covers,

but I just love that character, the rumpled suit, and the dynamic story telling, especially the covers. The Covers of The Spirit tell a story all to themselves, even the new ones from DC, I just want to buy them when I see them.
Will Eisner was one of the greats- some would say, the greatest.
I think a lot of his Spirit stuff is in reprint right now. Skip the new DC stuff (no offense to Darwyn Cooke, but nothing can compare to the original, right Mr. Cooke?).

You might like Milt Caniff's stuff too. There's a lot of his stuff here.

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
I love EC horror and sci-fi comics.
picture_24.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
ELBOW LAKE, Minn. (UPI) -- A Minnesota remodeler said the comic book -- Superman's first appearance -- he found in the walls of a home is worth 10 times what he paid for the house.

David Gonzalez said he purchased the Elbow Lake house for $10,100 and discovered a copy of Action Comics No. 1, a June 1938 comic book featuring the first appearance of Superman, among the old newspapers used to insulate a wall, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Wednesday.

Gonzalez said he wasn't quite as careful with the find as he should have been, accidentally tearing the cover and downgrading its condition from a three out of 10 to a 1.5 out of 10.

http://www.arcamax.com/entertainment/weirdnews/s-1329347?source=outbrain

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Only partly Golden Age, but yesterday was Jack Kirby's birthday, and The AV Club ran an excellent introduction to The King's astounding career:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/a-beginners-guide-to-the-king-of-comics-jack-kirby,102227/

This is worth a look even if you're pretty well-versed in Kirby... It's a fine reminder of how prodigously creative he was throughout his life, and how large his legacy looms in today's world of endless superhero films, TV series, novels, etc.

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Yeah, same here. The comic also looks just too good to be true. The paper hasn't yellowed over the last 75 years at all it seems. Pulp paper used in comics, newspapers, and many old magazines from the day was not meant to be archival. So this comic is very fishy I think.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Newsprint can look almost white after 80 years if it's been kept in an environment away from light and oxygen for all that time. You can often find newspapers and such underneath old linoleum that are still as fresh and supple as the day they were laid down.

Of course, you can also bleach yellowed newsprint to make it nice and white. Not that anybody would do anything like that to a rare funnybook just to plump up its value.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I have the Classics Illustrated comic of The War of the Worlds (#124) published in 1955. Classics Illustrated began publishing in 1941 so I suppose that makes them "of the era". They have always been my favorite series of comicbooks.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The restoration lessens the value of a comic book even though it is improved. Comics are graded based
upon the condition of the unaltered original. Sometimes a collectible comic is more valuable without
restoration even if it has a loose page.
~~

154ej2x.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-expected-fetch-1-5m-stolen-11-years-ago.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I recently found this comic...
This was also a favorite of mine as a kid.

654w8y.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points