Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Aircraft

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Mine has to be the Ju52, both military and civilian, I would love to use one to travel around the world in, on my own private adventure.

1361488.jpg

&sid=ccfb595afac3dae8078e21fd1d095de6

Would keep it in silver but design my own tail fin logo.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Goose

Goose.gif
[/IMG] I can not believe that no one has mentioned the Grumman Goose! A real ariel yacht, and still working for a living. Some will remember the very forgettable television series Tails of The Gold Monkey. Terrible plot, very inaccurate history, but Cutters Goose was great!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Cutters Goose

cuttergoose12.jpg
cuttergoose204.jpg
When did you see Cutters Goose? It had to make a crash landing in 2005, the two brothers that owened it got out all right, but there was a fire. Luckily the local Fire Department had just processed fire suppression on aircraft and saved the plane from being a complete right off. As you can see the plane was repainted since its movie days. On the good side, some guy salvaged it and was rebuilding it! He was suppose to have a web sight up in 2006 and sell tshirts, but no new word, I would have bought a shirt! I hope he did not run out of money, I can find nothing new on the planes whereabouts.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Cutters

Supposedly this is the documented Cutters Goose. I can not seem to find any more information other then a few news paper articles on the demise of Cutters Goose. I would sure like to know!

One of my favorite Golden Era aircraft is the Handley Page HP-42, the four-engine biplane airliners that were built for Imperial Airways (now British Airways) in the 1930s. It conjures up images of travel to exotic lands back when they were truly exotic. After establishing an enviable safety record in the service of Imperial Airways, they were requisitioned by the RAF during WWII for use as transports where they were all lost in various noncombat mishaps.

http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/handley_hp-42.php

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
The most beautiful aircraft of the golden era... hard to say. But here are my candidates.

First, the Supermarine Spitfire. Its eliptical wings make it unmistakeable.

th_spitfire.jpg

Then there is the PBY or Catalina. Its long range made it invaluable during WWII, but she is a looker.

th_PBY-N287.jpg

Finally, there is the most romantic aircraft of the golden era, and the one I would most love to have flown in - The Pan Am Clipper.

th_clipper.jpg

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
I got the opportunity to take a ride in a PBY Catalina over the weekend :D

It's great just getting to see one up close, getting to fly in one was an opportunity I couldnt pass up! After taking off we were able to get right up behind the pilots for a while in the cockpit, and move through the cabins into the back. Amazing views from the blisters!

I'll try to get a video clip onto youtube sometime!

CIMG6932.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Way cool. Question: does that aircraft have the same wing as the B-19? How much did it actually share with the DC-3? And the DC-6?
OT: I once (1969) flew from Oahu to the Big Island and back in a C-54 (on the way out) and a C-47 (on the way back). They were both military, so they were naked on the inside. We flew for about an hour (in the C-47) in low slow circles over the Kiluhea Crater, so the pilot could log his hours for the year. Great experience.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That DC-4E was completely unique in it's design. It was created at the suggestion of the major airlines of the day. After a year of shake-down under the United livery, it was decided it was just too complicated to operate and the airlines pulled out. Douglas scrapped design completely and started anew with a "new" DC-4. By the time it came into production, the war was one and the military preempted the airplane from commercial use. Thus the C-54!

-dixon cannon

Talbot

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Way cool. Question: does that aircraft have the same wing as the B-19? How much did it actually share with the DC-3? And the DC-6?
OT: I once (1969) flew from Oahu to the Big Island and back in a C-54 (on the way out) and a C-47 (on the way back). They were both military, so they were naked on the inside. We flew for about an hour (in the C-47) in low slow circles over the Kiluhea Crater, so the pilot could log his hours for the year. Great experience.

Well, thats got to be better than P51 time. Thats Parker 51 time:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB