Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Aircraft

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
CAF

kampkatz said:
Do you know if there are any flying examples of the F-82 anywhere on the airshow circuit?
None are flying at this time! There are at least four being restored to flying condition. The old Confederate Air Force had a flying example, yes, it looks funny on final!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
If any of you who are interested in the F-82, there's a static one at the air park on Lackland AFB in San Antonio. It does have Korean War markings. If you're military or retired military, you'll be able to get in to see it.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Oh yeah it definitely will. An axis roll would feel more like a tight barrel roll and the pilot(s) would experience G forces similar to sitting in a bucket and being swung around by a cable.

HepKitty

One Too Many

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Spad

HepKitty said:
here is a nice one

http://aviationmuseum.com.au/aircraft/Dragonfly.cfm

and my favorite (aside from the F22 of course but that doesn't quite fit in this forum), the A-1 Skyraider

http://www.skyraider.org/skyassn/index.htm

and me lucky enough to climb into one a few months ago. so stoked that I could see over the instruments, that's a challenge for little me. some of you have already seen me in front of this one, pretending that I owned it

The good old Spad! The Air Force approached Douglas to put them back in production in the 60s, sadly, the tooling was gone! One of the WWII designs, that could run out of oil for the engine before they ran out of fuel! On the Sandy missions, rescuing downed Air Men, the pilots would pack their lunches. The A10, never really replaced it, and the Navy is still with out a replacement.

lord_k

One of the Regulars
Well-Forgotten Aircraft

Armstrong Whitworth AW.15 Atalanta
%23%20AW.15_Atalanta%201a.jpg

%23%20AW.15_Atalanta%202a.jpg

%23%20AW.15_Atalanta%201.jpg

The Atalanta was a high wing monoplane, powered by four 340 hp (250 kW) Armstrong Siddeley Serval III engines. Its composite construction included steel, plywood and fabric. The undercarriage was of the fixed type, but was cleanly streamlined to minimize drag. The overall design of the aircraft was rather modern, and somewhat closed the performance gap that existed between British and American airliners.
The aircraft had very few design flaws and any teething problems were quickly overcome. The prototype was flown to Croydon Airport for acceptance by Imperial Airways, and on 26 September 1932, it flew a commercial service from Croydon to Brussels and Cologne.
The Atalanta was capable of carrying up to 17 passengers, but Imperial Airlines limited the seating to nine passengers for the planes operating the Indian route and 11 passengers on those operating the African route.

Operational history
Specs
Video

lord_k

One of the Regulars
Savoia-Marchetti SM.75 Airliner

5034500879_24154e388a_z.jpg

The Savoia-Marchetti SM.75 Marsupiale (Marsupial) was an Italian passenger and military transport aircraft of the 1930s and 1940s. It was a low-wing, trimotor monoplane of mixed metal and wood construction with a retractable tailwheel undercarriage.
The SM.75 had a four-man crew, and its cabin was built to accommodate up to 25 passengers. Its short take-off run of 337 meters (1,105 feet) and shorter landing distance of 280 meters (919 feet) meant that it could operate from short runways on secondary airfields.
The SM.75 was powered by three Alfa Romeo 126 RC.34 radial engines rated at 559 kilowatts (750 horsepower) each at 3,400 meters (11,155 feet). Eleven aircraft fitted with three Alfa Romeo 126 RC.18 14-cylinder engines rated at 641 kilowatts (860 horsepower) at 1,800 meters (5,905 feet) were designated the SM.75bis.
(Wiki)
Image: paul.malon @ Flickr

lord_k

One of the Regulars
Dewoitine D.33 Trait d'Union

s640x480

Nicknamed 'Trait d'Union', this plane has set nine world records (flight duration, distance, speed) in 1931. Two were built (D.33-01 and D.33-02); both crashed attempting non-stop Paris-Tokyo flights in 1931. This is the D.33-01
0064369a

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB