Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Aircraft

Chas

One Too Many
Like quite a few fighter pilots, BVR was a mediocre pilot. Billy Bishop, for example, was by his own admission a terrible pilot but a crack shot.

BVR's greatest strengths were as a leader and mentor to newer pilots; most of his kills were oppurtunistic kills in a/c that were far superior to the ones flown against him- I would rate him as an average pilot who was very lucky to have gotten as far as he did and probably doesn't deserve the legend tag. He was helped by the RFC's insistence upon sending men out to do a difficult job with crap aircraft (the RE 8 and the BE 2c). Only once in his career did he go mano y mano with a good pilot (Lanoe Hawker) and he never faced anybody like Ball, Mannock or Collishaw. From what I have read a lot of BVR's kills were "set up" for him. At the end of the day, he was killed making two rookie pilot's mistakes: target fixation, for one and secondly taking unneccesary risks to shoot down a plane that was running for home meaning, flying too low and exposing himself to ground fire.

To be fair to the blonde one, though, it's possible that his head wound affected his judgement in the last few months of his life and that contributed to his downfall.

There were quite a few pilots that were probably better shots and pilots than BVR-Rene Fonck, for example, was known for shooting down enemy a/c with as few as 10 bullets. He isn't remembered because, frankly, he was a bit of a jerk. It is impossible to verify, but it's very possible that he shot down as many as 100 a/c.

Werner Voss was almost certainly a better pilot than Richtofen; when 56 Squadron shot him down one of the British pilots said that his flying, shooting and fighting was so good that "he seemed to be shooting at all six of us at once".

Last edited:

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
One of my favorites.
From FS2004, Pan American L-049 Lockheed Constellation leaving Midway Island.

connie3.jpg

http://plane.spottingworld.com/Lockheed_Constellation

connie3.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
I had FS9 configured so there was nothing newer than 1957 in it. Fantastic taxiing out from the gate and having to wait for a Convair on short final.

I upgraded my PC and have pure jerk-o-vision now. Frame rates ping from 4 - 40 FPS. I have have tried many different drivers to no avail.:confused:

FSX seem to run OK though, however there are not as many vintage options available without putting your hand in your pocket.

Not vintage, but enjoyable nonetheless, FSX Hawaii

Untitled9.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled6.jpg

I understand they are working on the next installment of flight sim as we speak.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Sorry for the delay but I finally got more photos of the poor old thing rotting in the weather

Sorry but you just had to see that coffee can

And the really cool mailbox

For some reason, starting to get caught up in collecting the various Wings of War board and miniatures games has really made me start to get curious about WWI combat aircraft... thinking it'd be really neat if I could put together all the Fokker Dr. I's of JG I in miniature, but documenting all ~50 is gonna be an ugly job.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
I had FS9 configured so there was nothing newer than 1957 in it. Fantastic taxiing out from the gate and having to wait for a Convair on short final.

I upgraded my PC and have pure jerk-o-vision now. Frame rates ping from 4 - 40 FPS. I have have tried many different drivers to no avail.:confused:

FSX seem to run OK though, however there are not as many vintage options available without putting your hand in your pocket.

Not vintage, but enjoyable nonetheless, FSX Hawaii

Untitled9.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled6.jpg

I understand they are working on the next installment of flight sim as we speak.

That is a big improvment over FS9. I only fly the vintage stuff, but haven't changed the AI's. I need to get around to that.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I volunteered at The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome for two summers, where I was able to work around/with museum's collection of planes and autos (dating from 1900 to about 1935). http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/index.php

The collection includes flying "Pioneer" aircraft (1909 Bleriot XI, 1910 Hanriot), WWI fighters (Fokker Dr. I, Sopwith Camel, Albatros D. Va), jazz-age fliers, and many more. Rides are also available via 2 1929 New Standard D-25s. The entire collection is available for viewing on the main-site.

bleriot-old-rhinebeck-aerodrome-usa.JPG

Old_Rhinebeck_Aerodrome_Albatros_DVa.jpg

P1000335.JPG

The experience was fun, even if the repeat sunburns weren't...

Last edited:

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Calclassic is your friend.

Have you had any experience with either the GoldenWings or SilverWings packages?

Talbot
I believe I have the GoldenWings download. That is where you fly around the Caribbean and Hawaii in an S-42. I don't recall the SilverWings package.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I volunteered at The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome for two summers, where I was able to work around/with museum's collection of planes and autos (dating from 1900 to about 1935). http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/index.php

The collection includes flying "Pioneer" aircraft (1909 Bleriot XI, 1910 Hanriot), WWI fighters (Fokker Dr. I, Sopwith Camel, Albatros D. Va), jazz-age fliers, and many more. Rides are also available via 2 1929 New Standard D-25s. The entire collection is available for viewing on the main-site.

The experience was fun, even if the repeat sunburns weren't...

ooh, some fun stuff! Thank you for the link and the photos :)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Norton Rally

I volunteered at The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome for two summers, where I was able to work around/with museum's collection of planes and autos (dating from 1900 to about 1935). .
This reminds me, I should get off my rear and get my Norton Fastback on the road. This years national Norton rally is just up the road from Old Rhinebeck! A great excuse to finally stop in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points