Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era CDs at Costco

android

One of the Regulars
We just picked up two four CD boxed sets at Costco. The first is all 1930's music and it's just called "1930". The second is dance music from 30's, 40's & early 50's and is called "Let's Dance" Each boxed set was only 14.99 and CDs have about 12 songs each. They are published by Quality Audio out of Canada. A lot of vintage music for the money.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Sam's Club has some great vintage music and movies too. I picked up a 4 CD box set called American Songbook with 15 songs on each CD for $17.99 (Rosemary Clooney is on the cover).

Movie-wise, I also bought a 2 DVD set for about $17 with Kiss Me Kate and High Society (both have music by Cole Porter). I really enjoyed the movie High Society (Fred Astaire and Frank Sinatra). There are some Bogart movies there as well as Our Gang and some Chaplin and Marx Bros. DVDs.

If you all haven't bought the new Nat King Cole cd, you really should...it' rocks!

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Have you tried browing Amazon.com? I looked myself, and they've got offerings for dance and jazz music from that era. The Charleston was popular during that era,and the indy hop gained popularity in the late 1920's. Swing music came into development during the 1930's.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Josh, as to the music of the 20's you can listen to Radio Dismuke to hear some of the best 20's Jazz! From Paul Whiteman to McKinney’s Cotton Pickers!
They're range is from 1925 to 1935 and they have great stuff. They also have a play list wile you listen so you can see who the artist is and the song's name. You can listen and learn as you enjoy!!!

As to where you can buy good 20's music well, that's hard because not many music shops carry early stuff like that. The soundtrack to the Aviator is good, but most of the music featured in that film is from early 1930 to 1939.

Try Amazon.com and ebay! I have friends that buy tons of music off of ebay for cheap! And they get lots of great stuff! Ebay; it's not just for vintage clothes!

Say, I must ask about the box sets you have found at Costco. They may be priced right, but are they original recordings? Not some new band playing the old songs? I ask because when I buy vintage music, I want the early recordings and not some new band playing the original charts. Yes that's right; give me the old records surface noise and all man! I dig that jive!

http://www.live365.com/stations/dismuke

Root.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I can confirm that the Sam's Club box set I mentioned are original recordings...from various artists:
Ethel Merman, Fred Astaire, Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Mel Torme, Ella Fitzerald, Bobe Hope, and more.

Makes me wish I had a Costco membership to check out that 1930s box set.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cool! I'm glad you hear that they are original recordings.

I have something that you all wish you could have. A vintage record shop! There is a recordshop in Pasadena that has all the kinds of music you can ever want! They specialize in vintage music from all eras. The Big Band and Jazz eras are their specialtise! I have gotten some rare and hard to find CD's there for good prices. They also have 78's 45's 33's! For those who don't understand those numbers, I'm refering to 78rpm 45rpm and 33rpm records. I know, sounds to good to be true but this shop has been around since the 1950's.

So, next time any of you may be headed for Pasadena you must check out this rare survivor of the golden era!

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.canterburyrecords.com/our_company/our_company.html

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
The sound track from The Great Gatsby (Redford version) has an excellent selection of 20's music. Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk