Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Things You've Revived Or Repaired For Use

wahine

Practically Family
I stopped using a coffee machine, brew by hand instead (the coffee always comes out as a surprise, so far). I also try to use less plastic, which is a sisyphean task.
Never stopped using fountain pens or my 50s (or 40s?) toaster.
When I need some household supply or clothing (except lingerie), I always check the thrift stores and second hand stores, before I go to a "regular" store.
Gave up washing my hair every day.
I never really stopped listening to records, but I had stopped buying new ones. Now, I buy more records than CDs, and even listen to shellacs once in a while.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
About a decade ago I started playing jazz on Buescher saxophones with their original mouthpieces. This was in response to a school of classical sax players (yes, there are such people) who said it couldn't, or maybe shouldn't, be done. They got beautiful mellow tones from their Bueschers, but they knew and cared nothing about vintage jazz styles, where those same Bueschers were used in bands like Paul Whiteman's.
Buescher+ad.jpg

2320780645_1bf4a4347e.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
That's wonderful! I just imagine you playing the sax while you steer a plane. Oh no, you don't have your hands free. So you must be balancing! On top of the bi-plane. :D

AM Radio - People my age seem to think it is only home to talk radio. I've got a few friends who like oldies and/or classic country music. I've introduced them to three local stations that a few of my friends listen to regularly, now. They sound even better on an old tube radio.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Getting a lot of interesting suggestions here.

How about glass refrigerator dishes? With all the scares about microwaving plastic, I'm surprised that more people don't store their leftovers in glass. I recycled all my plastic a long time ago anyway, b/c I just don't like the way it looks or feels. There's nothing as depressing as old plastic, but I digress. I store all my leftovers in 1930s-1950s glass and pyrex refrigerator dishes. That just looks so much more appetizing.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Getting a lot of interesting suggestions here.

How about glass refrigerator dishes? With all the scares about microwaving plastic, I'm surprised that more people don't store their leftovers in glass. I recycled all my plastic a long time ago anyway, b/c I just don't like the way it looks or feels. There's nothing as depressing as old plastic, but I digress. I store all my leftovers in 1930s-1950s glass and pyrex refrigerator dishes. That just looks so much more appetizing.

I use those.

The more I read here, the more I realize that I'm so accustomed to my revivals that I have overlooked them as "normal."

I don't anymore, just broke this week lol

I don't own a microwave.

We have two Classic-Country Stations and an Oldies Station that actually plays Sinatra and the like. On clear nights, I can pick up stuff from Nashville, Chicago, etc.

^^That's a good one, Tom. I also sometimes surf the AM dial, as a break from talk radio, and have found a couple of stations that still play music in English...

Good question!

Exactly. Does it count as a revival if you've always used it?

St. Louis

Practically Family
Hmmm ... maybe plastic food storage is a Midwestern thing, then?

Some friends of mine have revived the peculiar idea of raising respectful children. Just imagine, every time I go to their home I'm greeted at the door with, "hello, Miss St. Louis." Then I have my coat taken, and only then do I get the big slobbery hug (which I love.) These parents have to take endless complaints from all and sundry because they won't allow their children to address adults by their first names.

The Gentleman

New in Town
Hmmm ... maybe plastic food storage is a Midwestern thing, then?

Some friends of mine have revived the peculiar idea of raising respectful children. Just imagine, every time I go to their home I'm greeted at the door with, "hello, Miss St. Louis." Then I have my coat taken, and only then do I get the big slobbery hug (which I love.) These parents have to take endless complaints from all and sundry because they won't allow their children to address adults by their first names.

:D Haha. It's going from bad to worse. No liberty, right?!
Reminds me of no-spanking allowed laws, which already exist in Sweden.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
St. Louis, this has NOTHING to do with the thread, but your comments reminded me of an episode of that gawdawful TV show "Hardcore Pawn". My father and I were watching it last night (why, i have no idea). That show deals with the TRASH of Detroit, I swear.

Anyway, this black guy and his mother, who is like half his size, come into the pawnshop and he tries to sell his speaker-system for $150. The shop-assistant says she can only offer him $40, because they're only worth $100, and she could only probably sell them for like $70-$80.

The guy demands $150. She says she can go up to about $50 if it helps him at all, but she absolutely can't go any higher, simply because they're not worth that much...they're speakers, after all.

The guy starts using...language, shall we say...and this is a full-grown guy. He's in his 20s or 30s or something. And his mother EXPLODES at him. She starts telling him off in the middle of this fully-packed pawnshop, in front of everyone, on camera! REAL loud. So EVERYONE can see it (which I think was the point). She goes: "You apologise to [the shopkeeper]! Don't you say things like that! I raised you BETTER than that!"

The guy flatly refuses to apologise. And his mother reaches up, and literally twists his ear and drags him out of the shop by his ear, scolding him like he's a 10-year-old schoolboy, every step of the way. And the shop-staff are like, trying their best not to laugh.

Outside, the lady makes her son get back in the car, and she tries to apologise for his behaviour. I feel sorry for how embarrassed she must've felt. Somehow, I think being completely humiliated by your mother on national TV might straighten him out a bit.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
These parents have to take endless complaints from all and sundry because they won't allow their children to address adults by their first names.

Thank you. Some of my students know each others' parents, and so call them by their first names. However, if said parents come to our school to volunteer, I tell my students that they will address those parents as Mr., Mrs., Ms, whatever but not by their first names...Related to this, I've taught at/visited several schools over the years, and my present site is the only one where I have heard teachers and parents addressing each other by first names. In very small towns, such informality might be understandable, but not even in this "Hipster" part of Los Angeles is such intimacy a positive factor. There needs to exist a certain (for lack of better terms) formality between parents and teachers in order to maintain the professionalism required and expected in the field of education. So, despite the playful protests of a few adults, I remain "Mr. B."

I see nothing wrong with that. I was taught to address adults by their last names. The only exception was a neighboring farmer who insisted we just call him 'Butch,' which my parents finally decided was okay.

To this day, I call my friends' parents Mr. or Mrs., unless told to address them otherwise.

This show is drivel, but I have watched that episode and loved how she put her boy in his place. Good parenting (even if it obviously didn't stick!)

St. Louis, this has NOTHING to do with the thread, but your comments reminded me of an episode of that gawdawful TV show "Hardcore Pawn". My father and I were watching it last night (why, i have no idea). That show deals with the TRASH of Detroit, I swear.

Anyway, this black guy and his mother, who is like half his size, come into the pawnshop and he tries to sell his speaker-system for $150. The shop-assistant says she can only offer him $40, because they're only worth $100, and she could only probably sell them for like $70-$80.

The guy demands $150. She says she can go up to about $50 if it helps him at all, but she absolutely can't go any higher, simply because they're not worth that much...they're speakers, after all.

The guy starts using...language, shall we say...and this is a full-grown guy. He's in his 20s or 30s or something. And his mother EXPLODES at him. She starts telling him off in the middle of this fully-packed pawnshop, in front of everyone, on camera! REAL loud. So EVERYONE can see it (which I think was the point). She goes: "You apologise to [the shopkeeper]! Don't you say things like that! I raised you BETTER than that!"

The guy flatly refuses to apologise. And his mother reaches up, and literally twists his ear and drags him out of the shop by his ear, scolding him like he's a 10-year-old schoolboy, every step of the way. And the shop-staff are like, trying their best not to laugh.

Outside, the lady makes her son get back in the car, and she tries to apologise for his behaviour. I feel sorry for how embarrassed she must've felt. Somehow, I think being completely humiliated by your mother on national TV might straighten him out a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto