• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Hammerklavier, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Sopranos for me until Twin Peaks now.

ton312 likes this.
  2. Young Sheldon will bomb harder than "Joey". Some thing are funny as passing mentions, but not as main plot. What's now killing BBT is the never believable Leonard/ Penny relationship.

ButteMT61 likes this.
  3. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

I liked Sheldon's girlfriend. She's a great actress. Wolowitz too. There's this episode where he's making impressions of famous actors and it was the single funny moment I've ever seen in that show. You can tell the rest of the cast is actually laughing for real.

4. Fanch

Fanch My Mail is Forwarded Here

And then we have the ultimate anti-PC bigot, Archie Bunker (All In The Family), although a number of the younger Lounge members may have never heard of him. I have always appreciated over-the-top humor (Animal House, Stripes, Ghostbusters, etc.), and especially black humor (Fargo). Anyhow this crazy thread now has over 10,000 views and over 360+ replies. Below are a few of Archie Bunker's famous one-liners I pulled up from the internet to add my minuscle contribution to this thread:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    tropicalbob, ton312, El Marro and 2 others like this.
  5. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Practically Family

George was always my favorite. Oh man, I adore the Simpsons! I have the first 10 seasons on DVD. The first 7 were masterpieces.

ton312 and ProteinNerd like this.
  6. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd Call Me a Cab

I have to add Friends to the list of great sitcoms....damn, that was first showing so long ago it predates the internet and mobile phones!

Yet both it and Seinfeld seem to still be relevant and funny...I guess relationships and humour haven't changed as much as technology.

ton312 likes this.
  7. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Curb your Enthusiasm was good albeit for some reason I can't say I exactly liked it all too much. But the best part about it was that the 7th season actually had a good chunk of the Seinfeld episode in it.

ButteMT61 and Edward like this.
  8. ton312

ton312 Call Me a Cab

IMG_5356.JPG

Monitor and ProteinNerd like this.
  9. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Did you know that he lost the rights to The Prisoner in a poker game some years back? I interviewed a guy, he played one of the Lone Gunmen in the X Files, who had been working with him towards a new version of the show. He said that one day McGoohan phoned up and rather sheepishly confessed what had happened and that it killed months and months of pre-production.
    McGoohan had thought he had an unbeatable hand and had stuck the rights into the pot to stay in the game. Unfortunately, another player, who was a producer, pipped him to the post and was despicable enough to take the rights off the actor, who was getting on in years and not as steady as he once was. It is for this reason alone that the terrible version of The Prisoner set out in a desert appeared some years back. (How's that for a thread derail!:D)

10. handymike

handymike My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'm glad Curb your enthusiasm is coming back!

11. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

He's not a bad jazz pianist too. I was at a party a few years ago and he was having a great time to himself, thumping away at the keys. Incidentally, in real life, the actors who play Leonard and Penny were secretly lovers for a few years, which now watching old episodes back, adds a certain edge to it...

Edward and Monitor like this.
  12. dudewuttheheck

My actual favorite sitcom is Parks and Recreation and by a VERY wide margin.

ton312 and Sloan1874 like this.
  13. Ah, Friends... now there's a show where I hated pretty much every character with a passion. It had the odd great moment - I'd say across eleven season there was certainly enough good material for one whole series - but so much padding.... £Guys, we've run out of ideas again, and there are still two episodes to make for this season!" "Don't worry, we'll just put Monica in a fatsuit AGAIN." I think the biggest problem that I had with it was, with the exception of Chandler, every single character in it was utterly hateful -or at best deadly tedious - and yet the whole thing revolved around the presumption they were likeable. That's where How I Met Your Stepmother scored big over them: the pathetic man whore character was actually shown to be pathetic rather than, supposedly "lovable" in some way I could never fathom. I did at a timed hold out hope they'd can it and do a sitcom based around Chandler - thinking of how Frasier (before it jumped the shark) was a truly great sitcom, birthed as a spin-off from a third-rate pile of rubbish.

The episode where Larry ends up conducting a chamber orchestra playing Wagner on the lawn of the guy who called him a "self-hating Jew" for liking Wagner was hysterical. Also when he takes the prostitute to the ball game so that he can use the car pool lane to get there faster....

I remember that remake. The desert location took away something great - by making the isolation so 'real, and thus giving tangibility to him being trapped, it lost the whole sense of surreality which was so great about the original.

14. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

It was terrible, wasn't it? I watched the first one or two, but the original show was an product of its time and trying to repeat it out of context robbed it of its x factor.

Edward likes this.
  15. ton312

ton312 Call Me a Cab

Sloan1874 and dudewuttheheck like this.
  16. Given that Fawlty Towers and Blackadder can be taken as read, I'd complete to top five ever sitcoms list by adding Black Books, Father Ted, and..... maybe The IT Crowd? Honourable mentions: Give my Head Peace and The Inbetweeners (original UK product).

17. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Currently sucked into watching "El Chapo".

18. dudewuttheheck

Ron is my hero. Lagavulin 16 is my favorite Scotch too haha :D

ton312 and Sloan1874 like this.
  19. I see "Wolowitz" at the Rose Bowl flea market often. He's a TINY dude. I was shocked, and I have gotten used to that shock after my first one with Tom Cruise 20 years back...

Sloan1874 likes this.
  20. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

lol well, if I remember right, there aren't that many people you'd actually find tall.

Is TC really that short? I've read somewhere he's like 5'7" which isn't short IMO.

ProteinNerd likes this.