Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I thought Seinfeld was well written but terribly irritating. I saw a lot of them back in the day but never with much enjoyment. Friends was abominable - a celebration of empty blandness. To be honest I've never understood the enthusiasm for sitcoms. Saw quite a few Big Bang eps they were intermittently funny but not something I would ever seek out to watch. I think I prefer British humour - Black Books and Blackadder were amusing although I wouldn't call myself a fan. If I want a laugh I generally watch bombastic commercial news broadcasts.

lol well, if I remember right, there aren't that many people you'd actually find tall.

Is TC really that short? I've read somewhere he's like 5'7" which isn't short IMO.
Yeah, I'd say that's right.
So, the first time I met him, it was for the movie "Far And Away" He was married to NK. She's closer to 6' and had nice heels on. I was just like Holy Hell! That's Maverick, and he's THAT short? Sure, my height didn't help, but you get the point...I wasn't ready for that.

But, more importantly, it's pre-season football, which means that regular season football is close which means jacket weather is close(r). I'm OK with that!

Well, no matter. He is my favorite actor ever. Well, him and Hoffman. Jacket season is approaching. The nights are cool enough to consider wearing a jacket. Not quite there yet but... Then again, after a week of 115F temperatures, anything feels like a leather jacket weather.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tom Cruise can be nutty, odd, etc. but I dig him. He's lived a fairly clean life for being one of the biggest stars in Hollywood. That's hard to pull off.

I enjoy most Tom Cruise movies and the efforts he goes to doing his own stunts so as an actor I really like him but saying he lives a clean life.....he practically the head of the biggest cult in the world!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I'd say that's right.
So, the first time I met him, it was for the movie "Far And Away" He was married to NK. She's closer to 6' and had nice heels on. I was just like Holy Hell! That's Maverick, and he's THAT short? Sure, my height didn't help, but you get the point...I wasn't ready for that.

But, more importantly, it's pre-season football, which means that regular season football is close which means jacket weather is close(r). I'm OK with that!
A two-fer: one of my all-time favourite sit-coms and an explanation as to why Cruise looks small to some people and not small others...

Edward

Bartender
Is TC really that short? I've read somewhere he's like 5'7" which isn't short IMO.

I'm short - I'm only five ten. Cruise could pass for a leprechaun. Until he opens his tiny mouth and attempts an Oirish accent, that is...

I see "Wolowitz" at the Rose Bowl flea market often. He's a TINY dude. .

I thought so, given how slight he looks on camera. Mind you, all the cast of TBBT look tiny!

Edward

Bartender
I enjoy most Tom Cruise movies and the efforts he goes to doing his own stunts so as an actor I really like him but saying he lives a clean life.....he practically the head of the biggest cult in the world!

He's a great actor in the same way as David Hasselhoff is a great singer.

Probably best we steer clear of his religious activities.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I've enjoyed TC in most of the films that I have seen him in. He tends to do his job quite well. I think a lot of the hate comes from Top Gun which I can't blame him for...

I know making fun of Cruise is always a fun fad but I have yet to hear coherent response to why exactly is he considered to be a bad actor. Disliking the guy is one thing but I am still waiting for anyone to point out one single example of Tom Cruise alleged bad acting.

I mean, okay, make fun of the guy and his quirks but don't shit on his work he always gives so much into, work he does better than most, if not everyone out there. If Stanley Kubrick, for example, wanted Tom Cruise to act in his movie then hey, let's not then pretend like we actually know what we're talking about when we criticize his work.

I've enjoyed TC in most of the films that I have seen him in. He tends to do his job quite well. I think a lot of the hate comes from Top Gun which I can't blame him for...

Agreed. And yeah, Top Gun is exactly what it is and Tom Cruise is exactly what he's supposed to be in that movie. He played that role so perfectly that people still hate him for it to this day. It's an action figure movie. A moving poster. And that's exactly what he's portraying. Same as how most TC haters agree that Rain Man is a brilliant film with great acting but somehow, magically, TC still continues to suck the moment the movie ends even tho, as far as I am concerned, he has nothing more to prove after Rain Man.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Cruise is a big movie star and has been for years. That's amazing enough. His acting has never left much of an impression on me. I think he was most enjoyable when he played bumptious young men on the make.

I like TC in his lane. I even like top gun for all it's cheesy 80's bullshit. In fact thats why I like it. He's no Daniel Day Lewis tho. Now that's a an actor who scares and entertains me beyond belief. That man has mastered the craft.
IMG_5367.JPG

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good actor? No doubt. Otherwise worthy of praise? Not in my book.

Bartender Edit:
The controversy regarding Cruise's involvement in Scientology - and the controversial nature of that movement itself - is well known, but not really a debate for the Lounge. Let's stick to the acting here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21