Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gramophones, Phonographs, Victrolas....

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Yesteryear, Your work is really amazing - a true passion.

I do civilian homefront reenactment at Reading each year and would love to get a small portable record player like in your last photo. do they turn up on Ebay or other place reasonably?

Thanks, Sharpsburg

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Thank you Sharpsburg,

They do turn up on eBay at times, prices vary. I bought mine from a fellow phonograph collector for $150.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Several months ago, I got this beautiful 1926 Victor VV 4-4 "Granada" along with all the original storage albums full of the first owner's record collection. Though most of the records show signs of being played frequently, few have visible groove wear, a testament to the record-preserving Orthophonic reproducer.

IMGP0794-1.JPG

And here it is in action:
[video=youtube;-vK4NwE3jX8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vK4NwE3jX8[/video]

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Coneelrad, the smaller Orthophonics, the Granada, the Consolette, 4-3, 4-7 and especially the 4-40 are terribly underrated machines.

All are attractive, and when properly set up they are fine phonographs indeed.

From the video it appears that your reproducer is a bit close to vertical. The needle point angel should be about 60 degrees to the surface of the record. It also appears that the rubber isolator bushing at the back of your reproducer is too hard.

This would be the case if it was an original bushing, which would have perished to stony hardness over the years, or if it was one of the common replacements sold by the phonograph supply companies, for all of these are entirely too stiff. Properly soft isolator a are available on eBay.

You would be amazed at the improvement in your machine's reproduction with an appropriately soft rubber bushing. The bass response will be extended, the treble less scratchy, and record wear will be cut even further.

Here's another one of mine:

[video=youtube_share;w4VkEHuJO8g]http://youtu.be/w4VkEHuJO8g[/video]

Last edited:

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Vitanola, thank you for your response and advice.

Regarding the angle of the reproducer, by my measurement, the needle hits the record at about a 70 degree angle, and it's turned as far forward as it can be.

As for the isolator bushing, I'm fairly certain it's original to the machine. If you could point me in the direction of a suitable replacement, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, If you happen to have any other advice for improving the machine I would love to hear it.

Ripper

Familiar Face
Hi, I have a Victrola VV1-5 1926 portable. Yes, i know it's not original but it's just for me and i love it! It was covered in a white, cloth type material, kind of like wallpaper. I redid it in a brown ,embossed lambskin i had laying around. Works like new ! It's amazing the craftsmanship that they had back then, not like the Chinese crap now a days. [emoji6]

fd099a07b15c56fdee53d041230593e5.jpg

4ed4f6a72adfdbc45cbca9998fed76ec.jpg

e376dddc328ab5b84cb056569dc92f54.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

sarah1

New in Town
Several new videos I uploaded recently featuring my 1945 HMV-102 portable gramophone playing some Big Band hits.

Hey yesteryear :)
The gramophone looks nice .This reminds of the old times when they were famous.Even I used to own a gramophone and loved it.But I recently replaced it with a latest technology turntable and that also works good for me.Being a music lover I have lot of CD's with me which now I can play on my player and I could even mix different music. I read about these record players on http://www.crosleyturntablereviews.com/and I just love them.If you are also a music lover you would definitely love these players.

Nobert

Practically Family
Best thread I could find to ask this. Does anyone happen to know, which is the better quality machine: a Webster Chicago 102-1, or a V-M Tri-o-matic? Assuming that either one is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ