Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GREAT AERO half belt thread.

Cossack or Half Belt with these specs: Cordovan/FQHH/Alpaca/Black mouton?

• Half Belt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cossack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
OK, I'm wanting to tap into all the knowlege on the site again ! My query is this : apparently the so called 'half-belt' leather jacket such as that currently offered by Aero was a popular style in the 30s/40s. There are two versions offered, the standard half belt and the 'long' half belt. From the pics, the 'long' appears to be approx 5" longer. Which would you say was the commonest during the 30s/40s? There is also the 'Hercules which I think I like the look of as much as, if not more than, the half-belt. Was this popular during the period ? My main query though is the overall length - what would you go for, standard or long ?
longhalfbeltrear.jpg

Standardhalfbeltrearwithmeasurement.jpg

longhalfbelt.jpg

Hercules.jpg

The last pic is the Hercules

Thanks for your valued opinions

Colin

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a tough choice Silhouette!

I love 'em all. I purchased the standard halfbelt in brown from Aero ten months ago, and I can't wear it enough. It's the bees knees. From my eleven years of being into 'Golden Era' vintage everything, all those styles appear quite authentic to me. My only qualm would be that perhaps the collars might be a tad longer, but i'm not going to knitpick when the overall look and quality of the jackets are so good.

I've seen many original jackets from the 30's and 40's with the features seen in the Hercules and the Halfbelt models. My next jacket (dream on, Benny, you know the Australian dollar is worth less than Monopoly money . . .) will be the Hercules in vintage brown. One day. Really. Man, I want that jacket!

Barry

Practically Family
Benny Holiday said:
I've seen many original jackets from the 30's and 40's with the features seen in the Hercules and the Halfbelt models. My next jacket (dream on, Benny, you know the Australian dollar is worth less than Monopoly money . . .) will be the Hercules in vintage brown. One day. Really. Man, I want that jacket!

I am thinking about the Hercules for my 2nd Aero. I just recently saw that picture on Mark Moye's website. I was thinking about the very different Veste Del Rallye but now I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the Hercules in Cordovan (probably with the three season lining or maybe even the cashmere - I'd love a shearling, it just doesn't get that cold here).

Barry

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I think you're safe either way...

I have an old Hercules Horsehide jacket from the forties, and it is almost identical to the Aero Long Half-Belt. I also have a regular Aero Half-belt, and I have seen plenty of vintage jackets similar to it as well, though. I think it just comes down to your personal preferences. Personally, I prefer the slightly longer style, as when I wear untucked shirts like pendletons or sweaters, the shirts show out from under the back of the shorter jacket. I have actually condsidered selling it because I wear the longer one so much more. If authenticty is and issue, you might also want to consider the slimmer "30's" cut half-belt if you are trying to be more period accurate. My regular Aero half-belt is cut very much like a modern jacket-- not nearly as "fitted" looking as my old Hercules. Of course, I also went with Aero's advice and ordered up a size, which I now regret, and that could be the main problem.

Either way, Aeros are excellent quality and you can't really go wrong.

--G.R.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Aero Long Half Belt Arrival

Well, I just received the long half belt I ordered through Mark Moye and to say I am totally blown away by it would be an understatement !
My Aero A2 is a 42 and fits me just right and I am a 42 chest, but .....
I decided to go for a 40 to get a trimmer 30s/40s type fit given that Aeros non military jackets are more of a modern fit. It certainly paid off because the fit is absolutely spot on and I couldn't be more happy with it. It's as stiff as a board of course but will soften up with wear. Can't wait for Autumn and the cooler weather !! Actually I'll be able to take it for a walk now and then in the cooler summer times - ie early hours of the morning lol
I will post pictures as soon as I get some done. I got this jacket basically because I wanted a leather that would be appropriate to the 30s/40s 'look' and I think with the right hat ( which I've yet to get) and a decent shirt/tie/pants I'll look 'the business' ( well I can dream can't I ?lol )

Benny Holiday

Congrtaulations Silhouette53 on a great buy!

I've got thew regular-length halfbelt, and I love it! It's cold here now and I wear it all the time. I had to have it ever since I saw 'Seabiscuit'!

The long model is every bit as awesomely authentic. Can't wait for pics - be sure to use a wide-angled lens to fit your smile in, no doubt you'll be grinning from ear to ear! :eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The cat that's got the cream!!!

And by all accounts, you have gone for the cream of the crop with that 30's jacket. I know the one, and as my American cousins might quip..."THAT'S AWESOME!!"

But, being the reserved Anglo-Irish-Scot that I am, I'll wait and let your photos do the talking!! Can't wait!!!

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Benny Holiday said:
I've got thew regular-length halfbelt, and I love it! It's cold here now and I wear it all the time. I had to have it ever since I saw 'Seabiscuit'!

The long model is every bit as awesomely authentic. Can't wait for pics - be sure to use a wide-angled lens to fit your smile in, no doubt you'll be grinning from ear to ear! :eusa_clap

That's weird ! :eek: I just had that DVD delivered today from Play.com and was planning to watch it this evening. Saw it mentioned in the lounge for its 'Golden Era' clothes etc and ordered it for that reason. Must look out for the jacket !!

Benny Holiday

Where's Rod Serling when you need him?

Ha ha! You were meant to have that long halfbelt, Silhouette! It's like the threads of some grand master plan of your life are coming together . . . lol

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I've had my eye on that model, too, but its probably much too warm where I live.
Enjoy it, its a great jacket!

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Flitcraft said:
I've had my eye on that model, too, but its probably much too warm where I live.
Enjoy it, its a great jacket!

Well I can tell you that even in the coldest of weather, I won't be needing any layering ( even if the fit allowed any ! ) You don't mention exactly where you live but Aero will, if requested, make this jacket in the lighter hides and, with a normal cotton lining such as in the A2, I don't think it would be too warm - unless you're somewhere with a tropical climate of course - in which case leather of any kind is a no-no ! How about taking all your vacations during the winter months in Chicago ??lol lol

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Here am de pics !

As promised, here are some pics in which I totally fail to do the jacket justice, but then I do have an aversion to being photographed and any 'posed' photo of me looks totally unnatural. Anyway .........[huh]

openfront.jpg

Frontzipped.jpg

Back.jpg
[/IMG]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nice!

Now that's a super jacket! Suits you well. Is there an interior pocket?
It's the cuff detail on this that I really like. I wish the Indy jackets had it.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Yes, I requested an interior pocket same as that found on the USN G1 jacket.
Handy for keeping cash / wallet etc secure. Not that i have any cash left now !!!lol lol

Baggers

Practically Family
That is a good looking jacket, Sihoulette53. I have a black Cossack and a brown Barnstormer, both in the mid weight hide with cotton drill linings, and can vouch for them being lighter. Not by much, admittedly, but they do give me a bit of break with our warmer Texas weather. I also had them put the G1 style inner pocket in the Cossack and it does come in handy.

I may still have to get one for myself this fall, but I'll probaby have to sell one or two of my others so I can justify it.

Cheers!

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
Which hide and color is that, Silhouette53? I've been thinking about an Aero for next fall.
NB

Hi ND - it's the heavy horsehide in Aeros standard Brown. The colour isn't too accurate in my pics so here attached is the pic from Mark Moyes Aero website and the colour is pretty accurate in this pic. There is a reddish tone to it despite it being Brown - looks really rich, I like it a lot.

longhalfbeltrear.jpg

Baggers, DON'T sell any of your jackets !! Everyone should have an Aero collection !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff