Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great songs remade

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Pen Collector said:
Just thought I would ask. What do you think of today's artist that remake some of the old classics?

I am always looking for CD's like these. I know that I can buy these songs by the original artist but sometimes I like to hear other singers do their version of the classics. Do any of you know of other CD's like these that are good?
Modern artists remaking classics, eh? Well my favorite would have to be this one:

The Brian Setzer Orchestra swingin' Beethoven and Bach. Ya' can't get more classic than that! lol

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
Nice music Carlisle Blues and J.L. Picard! :)

:eek:fftopic: By the way, amazing life of Carla Bruni!!!! First she was super-model, then singer and finally First Lady of France! WOW ;) :D ( she married French president Nicolas Sarkozy in 2008)

:eek:fftopic: Lady Hadley,

Excellente remarque! but I see her from a different perspective: first she was a bright woman, then a very talented artist...finally she married Sarko...;)

Thank You, and have a great day.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
When you consider how often the great songs are covered, and how the vast majority were written by songwriters as opposed to the artists who covered them, it's tough to say there's only one definitive version of most songs. Each artist gives it an interpretation, and we will either like or dislike it according to one's own tastes.

I enjoy many modern artists' interpretations of the "standards" (there's irony), both crooners and bands:

Diana Krall
Michael Bublé
Bryan Ferry
Harry Connick Jr
Brian Setzer
Colin James
Johnny Favourite

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BinkieBaumont said:
"I know how a lot of "Artistes" have jumped on the Nostalgia band wagon, "Yes Rod Stewart I'm looking at you" but really I do think Harry Connick Junior was one of the first contemporary stars to introduce Swing to a whole new generation in the 1990's?"

No, however, I believe it takes just as much creativity to interpret as it does to write. In some regards more as the artist is working within the constraints of the piece s/he is interpreting.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk