Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey flannel or twill trousers with morning dress?

Abraham

One of the Regulars
What are your thoughts about grey flannel or twill slacks in place of striped or houndstooth slacks as a part of a morning dress outfit?

What color waistcoat (different than the vest below) would you pair with grey slacks and a black morning coat? Black or possibly dove? Thank you.

sdc16551.jpg

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
A lighter grey perhaps? I think striped trousers look better and add some interest to what is essentially a black outfit.

A lighter grey, with small herringbone would be good, but grey flannels will likely work, because they g with almost anything!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
A solid lighter mid grey is perfectly acceptable, although I think it works better with a stroller than with formal morning wear. Btw, flannel is made in a twill weave. Flannel is the finish.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
OK, cool. What color waistcoat to go with light grey flannel slacks and a black morning coat?

Black or dove?

Opps, I meant to say "black or buff." I mixed up "buff" (light tan) with "dove" (light grey.)

So which color waistcoat with a black morning coat and light grey flannel slacks?

Last edited:

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I must say this really appeals to me! Early each Sunday I go to church wearing dress slacks, shined black oxfords, a white french cuffed shirt and a foulard tie -- usually no coat. If it's cold I'll wear a navy blue blazer.

When I then go to my second church of the day, the snooties (wearing all sorts of full-cleveland wear) don't like the fact that I rarely wear a suit or even a coat.

To think I could transition from what I wear to full on morning dress with the addition of: a waistcoat, a morning coat and a tie stickpin is just too delicious to pass up! And it will drive the snooties nuts!

Abraham

One of the Regulars
That's a really good question. I would intentionally leave the top hat, gloves, pocket watch and walking stick home in order to make the outfit less "cartoonish" to those who simply do not understand...

However 4-5 times a year we do have outside events that require sitting in the sun. I detest the "ill-fitting ball cap with a suit" look that's so common here in California. I think if I get the morning dress outfit working, I would actually spring for an Akubra top hat if they would agree to make me one in size 63.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I'll be honest, I think the presence of a sole morning coat will be pretty obtrusive in itself. I don't know how fitting morning dress is for a church anyway outside of a wedding.

I love morning coats (I have four of them), but the realistic opportunities to wear them are dwindling, unless the wearer has no qualms about sticking out like a sore thumb. I'm willing to chance it, but not regularly.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
The second church I attend is full of snooties who get quite upset when a male does not wear a suit or at least a sports coat and tie to liturgy -- not that most of them know how to dress anyway. Wearing morning dress would be a way of complying with the standard while also giving them a metaphorical middle finger. In other words I couldn't care less what they think.

On top of that I happen to like morning dress. On Christmas and Easter Sundays, the ushers at my former parish would all wear morning dress. Very classy I always thought.

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
I must say this really appeals to me! Early each Sunday I go to church wearing dress slacks, shined black oxfords, a white french cuffed shirt and a foulard tie -- usually no coat. If it's cold I'll wear a navy blue blazer.

When I then go to my second church of the day, the snooties (wearing all sorts of full-cleveland wear) don't like the fact that I rarely wear a suit or even a coat.

To think I could transition from what I wear to full on morning dress with the addition of: a waistcoat, a morning coat and a tie stickpin is just too delicious to pass up! And it will drive the snooties nuts!

Honestly with your attitude, why don't you just skip the second service? I'm not sure that is why one should be going to church.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
Honestly with your attitude, why don't you just skip the second service? I'm not sure that is why one should be going to church.

Honestly with your attitude, why don't you endeavor to keep your cake hole shut? While you're at it, learn how to think. No where in my postings did I suggest that I attend church in order to model certain outfits.

I'm actually looking forward to this Sunday -- Easter Sunday. My morning dress outfit is all ready to go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm