Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grommets, washers and the like - what do I need?

Starkman

New in Town
Hey all,

Well, I've made the decision to install heat-escape holes into several (inexpensive) hats I own, but I have a few questions.

First, is 1/8" a good size for hat ventilation?

Next, will grommets alone be enough to secure the holes from ever unraveling, or will I need a grommet and washer set up?

Finally, any suggestions on kits for this project? At the moment, I'm looking at this kit (https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/424_16/eyelet-kit.cfm), but it only comes with grommets (no washers)...if that's a problem.

Thanks much,

Starkman

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Starkman,

I see you only have a few posts, so welcome!

I also see your post has been seen many times, but no answers given so I will make a few comments.

Google your question and the Fedora Lounge for a search to see if this has been asked before. I know that it has been touched on, but maybe not as directly. There is a wealth of info in the old posts and they are not all that hard to find.

But asking is not a bad idea either - just a question of where. You might try your question on the Ask a Question and Get an Answer thread up at the top of the whole menu. There are people who watch that area to answer such questions. Also look at the Campaign Hats Now Forming thread because there was a discussion of period correct holes in those style of hats which might interest you. Options that I have seen there include punching, burning and grommets. Also placement and decorative designs were discussed in great detail.

You might get better results if you mention the type of hat and how you plan to place the holes.

You might also compare what you plan with how companies do this already. For example David Morgan sells Akubras and has a lot of grommet work in his particular offerings for strap retention and ventilation. I think he mentions the grommet size in his ads.

Just random thoughts from a guy with no grommets in his hats!

Good luck!

Fed

viclip

Practically Family
Grommets alone would be fine for ventilation only. I doubt that 1/8" grommets would help that much unless you used quite a few. Having said that, back in the day ventilated fur felt hats were offered with tiny holes arranged in patterns, I recall seeing posts on this forum dealing with the dies used to stamp the holes. These were plain holes, fur felt really doesn't "unravel", if that's what your hats are made from.

That said, if there's any possibility that you might use the holes for the installation of a chin strap or wind trolley, then in addition to grommets be sure to use backing washers. The hat material simply isn't strong enough to take much force without the grommets ripping out, unless suitably supported from behind.

Assuming you go with metal grommets & that your hats will see outdoor use, bear in mind that steel will emit rust stains & brass will produce verdigris, when exposed to moisture esp. acid rain. Therefore I'd recommend using quality grommets that will stand up to the environment without discoloring your hats, stainless steel if you can find them.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
+1 to the current replies.

Background info that might assist in solutions:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-ventilation.31624/

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vent-holes-do-they-work.42034/

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/snowflake-star-vent-hole-template.82749/

On the Hat Ventalation challenge you are having perhaps a straw or lighter felted hat would be an excellent acquisition. Nothing is as comfy as my bald head in the elements, but the health concerns and protection trump comfort. I have taken to carrying a cotton handkerchief in a back pocket and occasionally wiping the sweat and the top of my head when it is warm.

I wish you well on your pursuit. Best, Eric -

Starkman

New in Town
Hey, thanks so much for the responses.

As to the kinds of hats I have: inexpensive, mostly man-made materials and none for "outdoors" use; that is, I'm not an outdoors person, but I will definitely take into consideration moisture reaction on the grommets I install (thanks, viclip, for that suggestion). In that I won't be rough-housing the hats, I suspect I could get away without using back washers, but I'd probably feel safer using them. (And, oh, thanks, viclip, for your thoughts about the 1/8" grommet size probably not being sufficient to make a difference.)

Fed in a Fedora: thanks much for the response. I've already done the googling you've suggested and found the sites Short Balding Guy found, but I didn't find the specifics I needed. In view, however, of your suggestion, "You might try your question on the Ask a Question and Get an Answer thread up at the top of the whole menu," I'm not sure where that section is (I don't see a specific link of that thread).

Finally, I just might try taking out the liners, but...well, all my hats are mostly made in China, which means, I could be looking at the unraveling of my entire block if taking out the liners backfires! We shall see!

Thanks again, folks, for the input.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
[/QUOTE]
Fed in a Fedora: thanks much for the response. I've already done the googling you've suggested and found the sites Short Balding Guy found, but I didn't find the specifics I needed. In view, however, of your suggestion, "You might try your question on the Ask a Question and Get an Answer thread up at the top of the whole menu," I'm not sure where that section is (I don't see a specific link of that thread).
[/QUOTE]

If you go to to the Main menu of the Hat forums, this thread is pinned at the very top item. However, here is the link for your convenience.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer.41576/

I actually mention it because I have found it a very helpful and entertaining thread. One of my favorites so I take every opportunity to send people to it.

Fed

Starkman

New in Town
Well, fudge! I initially saw the Hat topic and the Ask/Answer question thread; I thought that's where I went to post this thread! Sheesh! Now I don't even know where this one was posted! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21