Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guernsey jumper

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
This year my interest in Guernseys has revived and I've worn them on quite a few occasions: usually Navy, Oatmeal or Army green. Fortunately I can wear a sweater at work and this Fall/Winter I've been alternating between Guernseys and My trademark Woolly Pully commando sweaters.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I liked the above conversations of the North Sea Sweater's journey getting from the UK to the US. It sounds the gentleman has a great warm sweater there.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I'm enjoying wearing my oatmeal ('New Natural') Guernsey today, as worn by the Desert Rats! I think it's the Army associations of this sweater that give it the edge. ...

I believe I promised a picture of the North Sea sweater "in action." With the temperature in teens today and single digit windchill, I've been wearing it all day.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I like it very much. It's the same colour as one of my Guernseys, which I might wear tomorrow. ...

We have snow here and it will be clear and frosty next week - my all-time favourite London weather (summer in London is a rehearsal for Hell) and great for sweaters as well.

I'm about to place an order with Black Sheep Knitwear.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Incidentally, your NYC weather seems to be all over the place. I sometimes listen to WNYC-FM on my iPhone and have noticed huge - and I think unusual - fluctuations in the temperatures.

Incidentally, your NYC weather seems to be all over the place. I sometimes listen to WNYC-FM on my iPhone and have noticed huge - and I think unusual - fluctuations in the temperatures.

It's been crazy this winter so far. You are spot on - we have had several 30 and, even, 40 degree temperature swings in 24-48 hours. Just this week, we had a high one day of 64 (which is crazy in and of itself for January) and a low of 20 two days later. And while that was a bit extreme, we regularly have 30 degree plus swings. I'm hoping we'll soon settle into a more normal winter.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I’m looking forward to getting out the Guernseys, Chunkies etc., but for this stage in the autumn it’s military knitwear (Woolly Pullies) all day every day and that’s fine by me!
(Of course Guernseys also very much qualify as military knitwear.)

Reactions: Hal

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I’m looking forward to getting out the Guernseys, Chunkies etc., but for this stage in the autumn it’s military knitwear (Woolly Pullies) all day every day and that’s fine by me!

(Of course Guernseys also very much qualify as military knitwear.)

They do, I think Admiral Lord Nelson first saw and introduced them to the Royal Navy in the late 1700s/early 1800s and they have been used on and off also in the Army, especially in WW11 desert campaigns (Montgomery) and after that too. I think there are in fact photos of that on this or another FL thread.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
They do, I think Admiral Lord Nelson first saw and introduced them to the Royal Navy in the late 1700s/early 1800s and they have been used on and off also in the Army, especially in WW11 desert campaigns (Montgomery) and after that too. I think there are in fact photos of that on this or another FL thread.

Yes, you're right. There are some photos of the Desert Rats in Guernseys on the Woolly Pully thread, sent in by a nice American chap a few years ago. I have a Guernsey in that colour. You're right about the Naval heritage of the 'standard' Navy Guernsey, taken over by Nelson from the Channel Island fishermen. The military and cultural heritage of the Guernsey is one of the things that makes it such a pleasure to wear.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Yes, you're right. There are some photos of the Desert Rats in Guernseys on the Woolly Pully thread, sent in by a nice American chap a few years ago. I have a Guernsey in that colour. You're right about the Naval heritage of the 'standard' Navy Guernsey, taken over by Nelson from the Channel Island fishermen. The military and cultural heritage of the Guernsey is one of the things that makes it such a pleasure to wear.

Yes the patterns on the sleeves and sometime main part of the Guernsey used to denote individual family members of the fishermen. (I think it is/was similar with Aran Sweaters too)
I am wearing a Navy Guernsey at the moment.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes the patterns on the sleeves and sometime main part of the Guernsey used to denote individual family members of the fishermen. (I think it is/was similar with Aran Sweaters too)
I am wearing a Navy Guernsey at the moment.

I am wearing a Navy Woolly Pully. It won't be at all long before I start wearing Guernseys again. I love their rugged masculine quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider