Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guess what's in the glass!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
One of the things that's vintage about me is my love of alcohol. However, I'm by no means a connoisseur of glass shapes etc. I drink my standard rum & coke, gin & tonic, and southern comfort & gingerale. If I'm in a bar I might order a mojito or a cocktail of the night. I love pictures of stars enjoying their booze, but more often then not, I can't tell what they're drinking! It would be fun to see if we have the same taste. Will you help me drink lovers?

Ann-Margret
ann-margretdrink.jpg

Ava + Frank
avafrankdrinkwstraws.png

Audrey Hepburn + fiancé
AudreyHepburnfiancdrink.jpg

Anne Bancroft
annebancroftleo-1.jpg

Alain Delon
alain_delon_flugadrink.jpg

Betty Grable
BettyGrablecocktail.jpg

Colleen Miller
BoozeColleenMiller.jpg

Christine Carre
ChristineCarreDrink.jpg

Corinne Calvet
CorinneCalvetCocktail.jpg

Sandra Dee
DEE.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Doris Dowling
DorisDowlingtobakalkohol.jpg

Gail Patrick
GailPatrickdrink.jpg

Gianna Maria Canale
GiannaMariaCanaleDrink.jpg

Inger Stevens
IngerStevensbl.jpg

Susan Hayword and Ingrid Bergman
IngridBergmansusanhayworddrink.jpg

Jayne Mansfield
jaynedrink.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips said:
Marilyn Monroe
mmdrink.jpg

[/IMG]
I'll take Marilyn for an example. I'd say that more than half of these celebrity imbibers are drinking champagne from the old fashioned wide topped champagne glass.
A friend once explained to me that for a long time (see ALL golden age movies, for example) champagne was drunk from this style of glass, instead of the flute universally used today, because the English drank their champagne that way. The French always used the correct tall narrow flute glass. But the Brits, for some reason, didn't like all those bubbles. Tickled their noses or something. So they drank their bubbly in a wide topped glass to make the bubble dissipate. And the Americans aped everything the upper class Brits did.
Crazy! But that's what the man told me, and this guy usually knew what he was talking about on such matters.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I agree that the glass Marilyn has is used for champagne. I had heard that it was the French who came up with that glass, modelled after the breast of Marie Antoinette. Go figure! [huh]

I think Ann Bankroft might be enjoying a Manhattan or maybe a Vodka Gimlet.

I'll guess Liz is working on Bourbon, neat.

Sandra Dee looks like a Gin and Tonic gal.

Lana Turner probably has some sort of cordial or appertif or maybe a little concoction of poison at the ready should her mobster bf get smart with her.

Doris Dowling is drinking...oh, who the hell cares what it is...Bartender, I'll have what she's having! ;)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Wow, thank you dhermann1 and 23SkidooWithYou! What would I do without you?.. I'm going to look up the drinks I'm not familiar with. I did buy a vintage cocktail book to try to make my habit more classy, but I got tired of angel's tit, aviation, and pina colada and missed my standards that only need two ingredients. Here are a few more thirsty souls:

Liz again, different drink
butterfield8drinkcolor.jpg

Ava again, different drink
AvaJazzFestival.jpg

Is this beer? Olivia de Havilland
OliviaDeHavillandciggdrink.jpg

This was beer - James Dean
fulljames.jpg

A mojito gone wild? - Rhonda Fleming
rhondaflemingmojitood.jpg

Please continue guessing! I still don't know what everyone's sipping...

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Oh mint julep, that's what they always drink in the south in old movies. I wonder if I would like it? I know don't like whisky on it's own... but it sounds so yummy!

What does B.B. and Warren Beatty *swoon* prefere?

BrigitteBardotdrink.jpg
Warren1962_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana