Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitars

Edward

Bartender
Sertsa said:
Edward - Nice collection. As far as amps go, have you looked into any of the Tweed Champ or Princeton-based amps being built by a few people? One of these is Lil Dawg Amps. I've been considering one for a while, and I guess he can have a long waiting list, but he's hand-building these for pretty reasonable prices:

http://www.littledawgamps.com/

I've never owned one, though. (I have a Fender Pro Junior and a Tech 21 Trademark 10)

Nice amps! (Both the ones on the site and yours. ;) ). I probably will look into something like that eventually. I could never move back in with my parents, but I certainly do miss their detached house: ideal for cranking the amps when noone else was in... ;)

Does anyone on here have any genuine vintage guitars - early 50s Fenders, 30s and 40s Dobros, pre-war Martins....? Were they bought as collector's pieces, or inherited as family guitars?

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Thanks Edward. And yes, it's tough to not be able to crank them. That's why the Tech 21 comes in handy. I usually get home after midnight on weekdays, so I use the Tech 21 and headphones. (I'm thinking of getting a Korg Pandora or something, though, so I can practice with the drum machine).

The Harmony, Vega and Gibsons I posted earlier are the vintage ones I have, and they're not collector pieces, but they have a cool vibe. All inherited.

(I also have a '65 Selmer Mark VI tenor sax, though, which was my main gigging instrument some years ago. I majored in music at one point. I bought it after my first non-student Sax, a Selmer Omega, was stolen after a gig. The man I bought it from was getting up in age and just played old, "cigar cutter" saxes from the 30s and 40s, but I had to basically interview with him, and he listened to me play it before giving me approval to buy it.)

warbird

One Too Many
My latest

3e16_3.jpg

4513_12.jpg

That crappy blue background does not do justice to the guitars color. It is green toward the center and gets more blue as it moves out. Reminds me of the ocean. It an Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition.

This is the higher end epi and has great similarities of action and sound to the Gibson. I played both and the Gibson was better, heavier and had a thicker maple top. But the Epi sounds great itself and I just couldn't justify spending 5x more for the Gibson, so I bought the Epi. I don't really care that resale won't go up on this was 40 yrs from now like the Gibson.

One thing this town has no shortage of it's music shops which probably number per capita more than any city in the country. Ans because so many come her eto make it- and bust out and sell their stuff, there's no better place to find used axes, amps, etc.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
The Loar Guitars

Does anyone have any experiences with "The Loar" guitars? They make flattops and archtops inspired by Loyd Loar Era (early 1920's) Gibsons like the L-5. They are handmade in China and carry a very attractive price tag which is what picqued my interest.

warbird

One Too Many
I've heard they are a pretty good guitar. I'd ask around and see how folks compare them with the Epiphones made today of the same styling. It's still not what you'd call a cheap guitar. They have some unique qualities, but I have not played one so I do not know.

Course now if you want the Gibson version, I know where you can get one signed by Loar himself, for the low low price of only $40k

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Warbird, where is this L5 of which you speak? $40K for an L5 is a steal compared to what a Loyd Loar signed F5 mandolin goes for. Please post the link if possible. Thanks.

warbird

One Too Many
George Gruhn had one in his shop not too long ago, I remember. I honestly don't know if he still has it.

By the way, if you seek a hard to find or collectors guitar or the finest examples of vintage guitars, the best shop in the world is Gruhn Guitars in downtown Nashville. George Gruhn also just might be the most knowledgeable person in the world on vintage guitars. And he makes a fine guitar as well.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
tiki008ke5.jpg

My new toy. Squier Deluxe Strat in Daphne Blue. I had an Epi SG once upon a time, but had to sell it. My oldest son is taking lessons as well, so I thought I'd get back into it.

nola89

Familiar Face
Sorry my picture taking capabilities are at a loss. Will post when able.

Guitars:

-Epiphone Byrdland apart of the Elitist series
-Gibson Les Paul Classic
-Gibson Les Paul Standard circa 1976
-Gitane DG-255 petite bouche soundhole
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe which I got signed by B.B. King after I sat in on a gig with him.

Amps:

-Fender Twin
-Fender Blues Jr.
-Roland Cube 60

As a jazz player I use no effects.

jac

Familiar Face
"Bad Gas"

Unless I missed it, no one seems to have mentioned GAS, or 'Guitar Acquisition Syndrome'.

I personally am grateful I don't have a lot of space, or there would be more of these things.

The bad part is, this isn't all of them plus I keep a couple at the shop.

Loar Guitar

The L5 Chinese copy of the Gibson archtop is a real piece of Chinese "Junk" NPI,it is not a carved top,its laminate,I played one at Mandolin Bros.Save you money,no guitar from China ,even the Eastmans sound good.

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
Here are a few (not so good) photos of my guitars.

This is my Telecaster:
kevtqd.jpg

My acoustic Yamaha:
xfq6u0.jpg

My Spanish guitar:
2qbxa2x.jpg

I also have a 12-string guitar, I'll post a photo of it another time.

p.s. Sorry the photos are so big!

kools

Practically Family
1950s Harmony H-62

This is my setup when I wanna sound like T-Bone Walker of Pee Wee Crayton. 1950s Harmony H-62 (bought after I snapped the neck on an identical black one) & Victoria Pro 1 x 15" amp.

DSC00189.jpg

Mark G

A-List Customer
Here's a couple of my favorites that I've built over the years.

The first is a chambered mahogany bodied, figured maple top with an active piezo bridge pickup and stereo jack.

sunburstbolt.jpg

The second is a Camatillo back and sides, bear claw sitka top, with an armrest and sound port.

L12close2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Mark G, those are impressive - are you in business as a luthier?

warbird said:
I don't really care that resale won't go up on this was 40 yrs from now like the Gibson.

An awful lot of folks seem to buy into the gibson brand in the mistaken belief that in 50 years' time they'll be sitting on a fortune.... Doesn't seem to occur to them that while the (over) mytholigised 59 LP Standard was produced in extremely low numbers - about 300, if memory serves - modern Les Pauls are produced by the thousands, every year. They'll never have the value that the originals did. Also, fwiw, In the 20 years that I've been watching the second hand market, I've never seen a regular production Gibson LP realise a greater proportion of the average selling price for a new example than does the equivalent Epiphone, on average. [huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This is a cool thread, even for a non guitar player.
For those interested, I've seen a couple of Les Paul models shown here. Les Paul, as I'm sure all of you know, was the inventor of the electric guitar. At the advanced age of 93 (he'll be 94 June 9th) Les is still making a weekly gig at the Iridium Jazz Club here in New York. God bless him, he can't last forever, so if you ever get to the city, keep him in mind.

funneman

Practically Family
This thread breaks my heart.

Until recently I owned the following:

'67 Gretsch Single Anniversary in two-tone green
'66 Fender Telecaster in shell pink
'80s Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster in midnight blue
'80s Ric 360 six string in natural
80s Les Paul 1960 in all gold (back, front and neck)
90s Martin D-16
80s Guild D-40 twelve string
90s Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb w/1960 cab

All have gone to pay the Mortgage Monster:(

Beautiful instruments gents, hang onto them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto