Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guitars

Burnsie

kools said:
1930s King Mortone

P1020542.jpg

Nice King Mortone - here's mine:
Thommymark.jpg

It's a really nice solid bass - it's taken heaps of abuse and comes back swingin'!

Earp

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
I'm going to see about a Godin 5th ave. tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Hey Dinerman, I have a Godin Acoustic Electric that I just love. Versitile, unique and great sounding guitars aren't they? I had to get one after I saw Bruce Cockburn playing one on the Sound Stage television show a long time ago.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Sertsa said:
Great guitars. In something related, has anyone else seen the Godin 5th Avenues and Kingpins (the later of which have P-90 pickups)?

godin5thavecognacpu.jpg

When I was looking to get my guitar, the only full-hollow arch-top I could afford was the Ibanez AF95 I wound up with. A few months later the 5th aves Kingpins showed up *grumble*. I would love to have one, but I'd have to ditch my current guitar to afford it at the moment, and I've grown somewhat attached to the Ibanez in the 'some days I really hate you, but you're mine' sort of way, so that probably wont happen.

RKidd

New in Town
Earp Here's a picture of me and my custom Martin D15 (spruce and rosewood) Nice sound and smells great!!
Earp, is that one of the Martin Customs sold through Guitar Center/Musicians Friend a year or so back?

Earp

One of the Regulars
Hey RKIDD!! Yeah, although I got it about 4 years ago. It's a little plain compared to other guitars but I kind of like the simple, more spartan look of it. It does have nice "tortoise" binding and cool gold foil logo to dress it up. But where it really shines is where it matters -- it's sound. I've had several owners of more expensive Martins that continuously comment on how much they like the sound of this one. The bracing is a little different and lets the top really vibrate. Of course I play it constantly and it's really opened up nice over the years. I'm really happy with it.

Regards,
--Wyatt--

RKidd

New in Town
yeah, alot of the older Pickers around here think mine is a DMX or a Sigma cause of the sparse binding and matte finish. As soon as they hear it though it's more like, "hey let me see that thing!"

guitar.jpg
[/IMG]

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Those Godins are okay, Dinerman. But to my ears/eyes/hands they feel quite clumsy compared with the oldies they're emulating.

Have you had a scout around for a vintage Harmony archtop or hollow body, or even something older, like a Slingerland or similar? You can still score these for only a couple of hundred $$$ more than the Godin — even at UK prices this is true — and a guitar like that would be so much nicer to play and live with. My Harmony Stratotone has been with me since the late 80s and I play it every day. I intend to keep on doing so till one of us gives out.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I went and tried them out and was quite pleased with them. Nice tone, not the same baseball feel to the neck as some of the old ones, and it's something I don't have to worry about too terribly much. I have the Kingpin ordered (No one local had it in the cognac burst finish I wanted).

I've been looking around at old ones as well, through classifieds, craigslist, used instrument shops, but I've been running into warped necks, necks that need to be re-set, cracked tops, separating binding and even one where the body had completely caved in (though amazingly not cracked or separated). Seller on that one informed us that that was the way they were supposed to be lol .

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Yes, you've got to be careful about the condition, especially when buying remotely. But a slightly warped neck can be tamed, within certain tolerances. On an old guitar you can expect worn frets, bad electrics, cracked bridges and nuts and so on, along with warped necks and whatnot. But these should be regarded as minor problems that you can use to your own advantage in buying a gem — because the person selling just can't be bothered to do so.

Good luck searching.

Do you have a vintage/vintage-style amp?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Those Velocettes look good. Still, you can't take it with you.

I prefer smaller valve amps for general use and recording. All my wee valve amps are gone now. I'm reduced to using a Zenta transistor one from the 1970s, which I bought to match the priceless rare chipboard guitar of the same name. I hope to start a Zenta combo just as soon as I find a bassist with similar provision.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Carlisle Blues said:
I am thinking of getting a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 or maybe a 5:50. Anybody have any experience with them??

I already have a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

I tried a 5:25 at a GC some time ago and was really impressed with it. I was actually trying out some guitars and plugged into the Mesa Boogie. I wanted to try to create a simple, low-key try out space in a Guitar Center (not easy), plugged into the 5:25, set the wattage at 5, and the master volume pretty low and got a really nice, rich, somewhat tweedish sound at very low volume. I nearly bought it just for that, but it seemed overkill to get an amp that large and expensive to mainly use it for that.

I have a Fender Pro Junior and Tech 21 Trademark 10 (small analogue modeling amp).

Speaking of which, Dinerman, I think you should try out a Tech 21 Trademark 30 as a school amp (I don't believe the 10s are still made unless you find a used one). The one I have sounds and reacts much more natural to me than digital modelers I tried, it has headphone and XLR outs and is pretty compact and light. Here's a link for info, if you don't know about them:

http://tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark30.html

On the Godin posts - Thanks. I'm really tempted by those, but I haven't had a chance to try one out.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for your input Sertsa!!!!!

I just took a look at the Pro Junior nice tube amp..........probably has a sweet tone cranked. I know it has 15 watts sounds like it is enough for your purposes. Do you gig with others?

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Carlisle Blues: The Pro Junior is pretty nice, especially since it's hard to find something that straight-forward and simple that's not in the boutique range. The problem is that it wants to be cranked, which I never really do in my setting.

I've wanted an old Princeton Reverb or even tweed Princeton, but the market had really shot up on them, at least the last time I looked.

I haven't gigged in a while, and when I did regularly, it was usually on sax. I picked up guitar a few years ago after being laid off. I needed to focus on and learn something to keep from going nuts, so I thought I'd get back into music that way.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Verrrrrrry Cool Sersta:cool2:

Music has a nice way of making the disorder of the world seem orderly. You could have resorted to :beer: to pass the time. What kind of guitar do you have .

I have a Gibson CS 356 with Bigsby for bluesy tunes and jazzy stuff. I also have a Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat for other things...Nice Tobacco Flame Top.

My Acoustic is an Ovation 2000 Collectors Series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ