Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gurkha Long Pants?

Baggers

Practically Family
Hi Otterhound, good to see another D/FDubya-er!

There were trousers as well, but I believe the cross-over waistband was actually a post WW2 feature of British KD (Khaki Drill). During the war there were some private purchase uniforms that had it, but I don't think it became standard for issued uniform kit until sometime afterward. A great reference is Khaki Drill & Jungle Green, by Brayley and Ingram.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the "Ghurka" tag is just clever marketing. Ghurkas wore the same tropical uniforms as every other British soldier posted in such locations. The only things that would have differentiated them besides their obvious physical characteristics would have been their kukris and the odd bits of uniform accoutrements unique to their regiments.

And, If you want to check out those Bill's Khakis shorts, I saw them at the Orvis Store in Preston Center the last time I was in there a month or so back. They aren't authentic as British Military clothing, but they do look cool!

Cheers!

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Link

Have you a source for these shorts beyond Bill's, Baggers? Something authentic?

Though my first foray into shorts wearing last Monday even drew a "tan 'em or hide 'em" from my wife.

mikepara

Practically Family
Baggers,
Great KD items! You are the Dogs nads.:eusa_clap
Only Its a shame about your hose.:eusa_doh: They wore Grey woolen socks in all theatres until 1953. Green are modern.:rolleyes:

Also its a little known fact that hose tops are still worn in the best Commando circles today. Mainly with climbing boots

Baggers said:
If you want authentic, I'd suggest What Price Glory. Jerry has a 1941 pattern KD short that's nice and baggy and long (just ask Mojave Jack ;) ). They're the same ones I'm wearing in this thread.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
mikepara said:
Baggers,
Great KD items! You are the Dogs nads.:eusa_clap
Only Its a shame about your hose.:eusa_doh: They wore Grey woolen socks in all theatres until 1953. Green are modern.:rolleyes:

Also its a little known fact that hose tops are still worn in the best Commando circles today. Mainly with climbing boots

Thanks, Mike!

Those are full hose I'm wearing in that shot, not hose tops. I knew they wore regular grey socks with ammo boots, but are you certain the "Rupert" style full hose were grey as well? I might have figured a ight khaki, but not full on grey.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Big and baggy! That's for sure! I actually defied the King and had mine taken in a bit. Still plenty big and baggy, though!

Chicken! Oh well, as long as you didn't mess with the length (they are still knee length, I hope?)!

But of course you know that you must post a picture, don't you? I showed you mine, now you have to show me yours! lol

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Chicken! Oh well, as long as you didn't mess with the length (they are still knee length, I hope?)!

But of course you know that you must post a picture, don't you? I showed you mine, now you have to show me yours! lol

Cheers!

lol

I will, as soon as I get my digi back. The only thing I am lacking now is a pair of ammo boots. I've been balking at that, since their not the kind of thing you can wear around the house! Hobnails are so hard on the tile! I also need some rank slip-ons. My tin hat is still in Michigan, too, but I have my slouch here.

Baggers

Practically Family
otterhound said:
That's a compliment?

Actually, yes. Slightly more genteel than saying he's the dog's nuts. variations would be "dog's danglies," "dog's bollocks," "cat's 'nads," that sort of thing.

Who was it that said Americans and Britons were one people separated by a common language, or words to that effect? lol

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot