Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are people still buying their stuff? I just had a look at their sale page and it was coma-inducing. I still like the pairs that I have, though I currently have my Pima Fires up on eBay - realised that I'd worn them a grand total of half-a-dozen times, tops, so out they go!
I'm with you on this one, I find myself less and less interested in the things I see on their site. I think that's part of this is due to saturation, I only need so many pairs of selvage denim (and I know I have twice that number at this point). There's more to it than that though, I don't think that they are doing anything particularly daring or interesting. They are kind of like a crowd funded J. Crew or Gap and that isn't what I'm looking for these days.

technovox

One Too Many
I'm with you on this one, I find myself less and less interested in the things I see on their site. I think that's part of this is due to saturation, I only need so many pairs of selvage denim (and I know I have twice that number at this point). There's more to it than that though, I don't think that they are doing anything particularly daring or interesting. They are kind of like a crowd funded J. Crew or Gap and that isn't what I'm looking for these days.
I would suggest that they're a big step up from J.Crew...I've found that most of the Gap's and J.Crew's merchandise is mass produced in China, cheaply made, and falls apart after a few seasons. Conversely, Gustin's Heavy Americans are still pretty much the only jeans I've worn every day for the last two years, and they are going strong with plenty of miles left...and I like Casechopper's notion of patching them up. Personally, I'm not interested in anything "daring"...I just want well made basics, ideally made locally, that will wear for years and look better with age. And my Gustin jeans have filled that criteria for me perfectly. I also would have added their waxed Trucker to my wardrobe, but the fit was never quite right for my long arms.

Of course, I may be a bit biased toward them since they're a local outfit.

Last edited:
I don't like the way they fit me, but they were my "gateway" jean at less than $100 per pair.
I've since become very fond of my SJC Yardboss jeans (also at a similar price point). ;)

tropicalbob

Crew has gotten worse and worse. I see from their latest catalogue they're jumping on the exercise clothing bandwagon, which is all you see down here. I agree with Techno about the Heavy Americans, though, as they've become my favorite jeans. I recently went for one of their canvas sport jackets as well, as I liked the look of the dark brown one. The thing with Gustin, though, is that I've completely forgotten about the purchase by the time the thing arrives.

I don't think there's a better denim (generally speaking) for the price overall. The rest of their gear is whatever for me, but the jeans work fine for me. I'm not a $400/pair Iron Heart guy, and I don't like GAP/Old Navy jeans. They're a good in between as well as some LEVIS.

El Marro

I am very happy with all of the Gustin jeans I own. Like ButteMT61, I can't see myself forking out hundreds of dollars for a single pair of pants. The Gustin regulars fit me very well and they are made just across the bay from where I live in Berkeley.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I did pick up a pair of Lee Archive jeans for Gustin $$ at the Aero sale, and they're probably my favourite in terms of fit and cut, if not weight. I still love the Zimbys and Okayamas, but I've just not been interested in anything that's come out of them for a loooong time. Perhaps if a pair of 23oz-ers came out or unsanforized jeans came back, but after the debacle that was the leather jacket, I've stopped even getting the mail-out, so it's moot.

El Marro

I've been wearing the Japan Big 20 every chance I get for the last few months and trying to bring out some creases and fading. I want these jeans to look more like the ones that Casechopper posted the other day! I guess I just need to put in the time...

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Picked up a pair of Rogue Territory jeans recently in 14oz. http://www.rogueterritory.com/

The 14oz feels very stiff and is taking me some time to break in. I am working my way up by increasing daily wear time slowly. Still very high quality, and I'm sure that once broken in they will last for a very long time.

Not a huge fan of $200 soft jeans that get holey after a few months.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
I've gotten stuff by them and ended up reselling it. There's just other stuff I'd rather wear and I find their product a bit plain.

They are excellent quality though and work well for people who want simple well made goods.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Gustin Super Heavies with around 3 years on them
I've reinforced the crotch and the area where my cell phone started wearing through by backing with scrap denim and sewing over the area a bunch.
0tCv1vkh.jpg

casechopper,
Do you wash these by just throwing them in the wash with other clothes, or do you soak them and rinse them separately? Just wondering as they seem to have a nice fade and the high wear areas haven't washed out. I have a few pairs of Gustins (but it would apply to any raw denim) that I rotate through wearing for work, and have been handwashing them. I had a bad experience tossing a pair of raw denim in the wash (the dreaded washer/dryer fades), so I haven't machine-washed any since.

casechopper

casechopper,
Do you wash these by just throwing them in the wash with other clothes, or do you soak them and rinse them separately? Just wondering as they seem to have a nice fade and the high wear areas haven't washed out. I have a few pairs of Gustins (but it would apply to any raw denim) that I rotate through wearing for work, and have been handwashing them. I had a bad experience tossing a pair of raw denim in the wash (the dreaded washer/dryer fades), so I haven't machine-washed any since.

I wash them every 10-15 wears. I just throw them in with other clothes at this point. The first couple times I washed them separately but now they get washed like any other clothes. I do turn them inside out and hang dry them. Hand washing sparingly is the best if you want high contrast fading. I'm just too lazy to hand wash every time.

casechopper

Mine stopped crocking indigo after 2-3 washes (40-50 days of wear). The leather patches have mildly stained the surrounding denim on a couple of my pairs but nothing too crazy. I did hear that some of the original thin patches stained pretty bad but mine haven't. Maybe that depends on the detergent you use?

ProteinNerd

I dot know what's wrong with me but I find I keep pulling the trigger on anything but Jeans from Gustin. I know its like going to a steak house and ordering spaghetti but I'm now waiting on a Long Sleeve Henley 3 pack and now the 9 ounce Herringbone Workshirt lol

El Marro

When will dye stop leeching...esp leather?

TIA
Ribdoner,
In my experience some pairs leach more than others...
I have a pair of the heavy slub that used to turn my palms blue every time I wore them, even after several washes. On the other hand, my union blues haven't stained anything yet and I haven't washed them once.
P.s. I'm wearing the Vanson Colorado today and I got a compliment from a lovely young lady at the coffee shop. Thanks again!

Ribdoner

A-List Customer
Ribdoner,
In my experience some pairs leach more than others...
I have a pair of the heavy slub that used to turn my palms blue every time I wore them, even after several washes. On the other hand, my union blues haven't stained anything yet and I haven't washed them once.
P.s. I'm wearing the Vanson Colorado today and I got a compliment from a lovely young lady at the coffee shop. Thanks again!

THANKS for your reply and I hope the jacket brings you the best of luck, as it did me:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points