Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

This comment was offered with regards to the Loomstates which are funding right now. From Gustin's own description, "Note: We recommend going up 3 sizes compared to your standard Gustin size owing to the denseness of the weave and the shrink-to-fit nature of this fabric."

I quit buying Gustin because I bought a couple pair that fit great and then the next three I ordered were all slimmer than my first in the same size. Sloane mentioned the same experience.
Oh, thank you. You may have saved me some grief. I like Gustin but not enough to assume that risk of fit variance.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I quite like my 2 pairs of Gustin jeans but does anyone else find them a restrictive in the errrr crotch region?
Not particularly. I wear the straight cut in their size 38 (36 in most other jeans) and I find them pretty comfortable. Not as roomy as a pair of Carhartts but adequate.

I just ordered a pair of ready to ship straight leg jeans in black. 36" inseam will need a good 2" hemmed off. Good reason to stop back down to mildblend.

El Marro

Ton,
I'd wait to have them hemmed until you've washed them at least once. Most of their jeans are Sanforized so you are not going to have any kind of crazy shrink. They probably will lose a little length on the first wash though, and it would be a shame to have that happen after you have them hemmed to your liking.

El Marro

handymike and ProteinNerd,
I think you guys are right about it taking two or three washes to see the real shrinkage. I remember Ciano Farmer told me the same thing and he said that this is especially true of the heavier weight denim.

tropicalbob

I just got the Zimbabwes today. They're 15 oz. or so, and I'm finding it impossible to roll up the cuffs without it looking ridiculous (the length is 36" and I need about a 30". So, off to the tailor they go on Saturday. Comfortable unwashed, as advertised.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I just got the Zimbabwes today. They're 15 oz. or so, and I'm finding it impossible to roll up the cuffs without it looking ridiculous (the length is 36" and I need about a 30". So, off to the tailor they go on Saturday. Comfortable unwashed, as advertised.
My Zimbabwe straight jean stands pretty much alone as my all time favorite, including comfort when worn. I had bought two Zimbabwes in my size but thus far have not worn the second and think the first might well outlive me. Since my inseam is 35" unlike @tropicalbob there was no need for me to reduce the 36" length. Although rolled up cuffs seems to be the current style, I would feel like a total geek with cuffed jeans.

tropicalbob

My Zimbabwe straight jean stands pretty much alone as my all time favorite, including comfort when worn. I had bought two Zimbabwes in my size but thus far have not worn the second and think the first might well outlive me. Since my inseam is 35" unlike @tropicalbob there was no need for me to reduce the 36" length. Although rolled up cuffs seems to be the current style, I would feel like a total geek with cuffed jeans.
I know what you mean; it's not something adult males have ever done in this country. I also don't think it works with a jacket and tie, which is how I normally dress for work.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I know what you mean; it's not something adult males have ever done in this country. I also don't think it works with a jacket and tie, which is how I normally dress for work.
When I was a kid growing up in the 50's I wore only unsanforized Levis and had to cuff but couldn't wait until the jeans had shrunk to the extent cuffing was unnecessary. Still, I felt like a total geek with cuffs rolled up even then.

Very interesting. I'd assume they would shrink somewhat universally to a point after the first wash, and wouldn't shrink any further. I cuff all my jeans but don't usually double cuff them. First pair due today. I'll be interested to see how they fit. I like their model and @handymike is right. There's a slew of them on eBay for cheap.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Oh, thank you. You may have saved me some grief. I like Gustin but not enough to assume that risk of fit variance.

I dug up the jeans that didn't fit and posted them for sale on ebay. Here's what happened so you understand the issue and can make a better informed decision. I ordered a pair of the Gustin #145 NATURAL INDIGO X PERSIMMON in 35 and these were my second pairs of slims. They ran small to the guide and the first pair I ordered ran true to the guide.

After I ordered at some point Gustin added this warning about the #145's, "Note: Order one size up as this fabric has a tighter weave prone to less stretch." The fabric pretty much doesn't have any stretch and where taking out an inch of stretch is pretty normal for most sanforized denim I wasn't comfortable that it'd work with this fabric. The thighs were too tight without stretch, the cuff also ran 1/2" small so my first pair felt fitted where these just felt super-skinny. I was righteously pissed since they were $145. Last pair of Gustin's I ordered since it kind of took the fun out of it. The waist was an issue but the knee-to-cuff and lack of stretch was a bigger issue for me. It was the first run of this fabric so the Gustin guys probably wore some prototype pairs around and observed, "this S*** don't stretch." Gustin is pretty fun to order from since you can get some really unique denim so I wouldn't write them off.
  • Waist - 35" second pair / 35.5" per guide
  • Thigh (2" down) - 24" / same as guide - my first pair were slightly bigger than 24"
  • Knee (15" down) - 17" / 16.5" per fit guide but my first pair was 17" too
  • Cuff opening - 15" / 15.5" per the guide / my first pair of slims was closer to 16"
  • Inseam - 36.5"

casechopper

Gustin Super Heavy progress photos after another 5 months of wear and a bunch more patches added.

c8d84ETh.jpg
zipBzqTh.jpg
REacuk3h.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana