Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hail, Ceasar!

MikeKardec

One Too Many
The Coen Brothers create a quirky though lackadaisical love letter to old Hollywood that is more remarkable for the things it takes seriously than anything it might ever so slightly poke fun at. People here at the Lounge will probably enjoy this film as much as any audience because it takes time to immerse you in the costumes, locations, cars and film making of Hollywood in the studio days.

Following a day (or so) in the life of "Head of Physical Production" Eddie Mannix the audience watches him attempt to sort out some of the many personal and personnel problems on the lot. In doing so the Coens get to have fun recreating a number of the styles of late 1940s early 1950s movies and play around offering cameo parts to some great known and unknown modern actors. It's goofy and fun, though very mild stuff. I don't think I'd tell most people they should rush right out to see it, although I enjoyed myself.

I am not too demanding of well made films if I enjoy the "world" they exist in and this world was pretty good. On the other hand, if someone made me studio head and in charge of the Coen Brothers during this production I probably would have locked them in a screening room running Billy Wilder's "One, Two, Three," until they admitted that they got the message. This movie needs Stakes and Pace. Given those two absolute requirements it could probably have been one of their better efforts with just one rewrite.

Film makers AND Studio Heads live their lives on the clock and there is a sense of this in the film but no DEADLINE. Even in TV you could be spending the era's equivalent of $10,000 an hour, $170 a minute, day and night while a film is in production. If the fictional film, "Hail, Ceasar!" had been referred to as an over budget Cleopatra-like bomb in the making, Eddie Mannix's constantly glancing at his watch would have powered the film. Music like "One, Two, Three's" Saber Dance and perhaps the imminent arrival from New York of the Big Boss, Mr. Skank, would have completed the effect.

There are VERY few films that take the process of film making seriously. In fact, other than Elia Kazan's "The Last Tycoon," I can't at this moment think of one. Usually, the films being made are idiotic and the process dreadfully misrepresented. In this area, for sort of a silly movie, "Hail, Ceaser!" isn't too bad ... but not that great either. Certainly it could have shown Mr. Mannix doing what would have been the lion's share his job ... fixing actual, physical production problems like improving the edit of a scene or saving a producer's day through his understanding of the film making process. Few film makers are in as good a position to quickly demonstrate this sort of thing as the Coen Brothers. They are fine, fine, film makers but the prejudice against showing how it's really done still seems to lurk in this work.

A thing that the film really does get right is that in the "Jewish Empire" that was Hollywood, many of motion picture crafts people, technicians, assistant directors and "production executives" like our "Head of Physical Production" Mr. Mannix were often devout Catholics.

As usual many of the performances, mannered though a few are, are a great deal of fun. Ralph Fiennes shows again (following up on his channeling of Peter Sellers in The Grand Budapest Hotel) that he is as good a comic actor as anyone, maybe ever. Is it just me or is this guy really really funny when he isn't in a film that takes itself too seriously?

There is also a bizarre and amusing scene with Francis McDormand (Joel Coen's wife) that at least suggests that, once upon a time, there were female editors. Actually, in the silent days there were quite a few ... some saw this discipline, easily the most important and artful in the process, as the equivalent of sewing!

Finally the film accepts that some in the business were real actual verifiable communists who worked to control the content of movies at the party's behest. This is presented in a sort of harmless and amusing manner (and truthfully many of them were harmless and amusing) but it is VERY common in Hollywood circles even today to claim that virtually everyone labeled a "communist" had somehow just gone to the wrong person's dinner party or had accidentally "attended a meeting" without knowing what was up.

I'm guessing that if you've studied the era from outside Hollywood the reality of actual communists is not too surprising but dealing with the "communist question" in Los Angeles is still kind of a verboten subject. Interesting to see it dealt with without excuses here ... possibly it's because it's ostensibly a comedy and it's all pretty light and fluffy even when it's not trying to be funny.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Today's CPUSA got a kick out of it too.

I'm hoping we can get this -- the Coens always go over well with our audience, and as for me personally, I imagine it's got about as much in common with actual moviemaking as "O Brother Where Art Thou" had to do with actual chain gang jailbreakers and Klan rallies in the Depression South. I tend to think of the Coens, when they work in full Clooney mode, to be more like cartoonists than filmmakers -- they paint with a very wide, broad brush, with just enough realism to make it plausible but not so much that you drown in a sea of tedious literalism.

If Preston Sturges were alive and making pictures today, he'd make Coen Brothers pictures.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I was very split between this and The Finest Hour for my choice at the movies this evening. I ended up seeing The Finest Hour, as I figured Hail, Caesar would be too crowded. Ended up having to deal with an unruly patron and his wife's phone anyway, but I still really want to see this one. It looks absolutely fantastic.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
There's a pretty good review here -- http://www.vox.com/2016/2/6/10926402/hail-caesar-review-movie-clooney -- that gives the film more credit than I initially did, though I mostly agree with it. Interestingly, the film has garnered positive write ups in both Lizzie's CPUSA link and National Review On-Line. I admire any work of art that allows varied audiences to take home the vision they want. Many would probably argue with that but I'm a firm believer that to be truly successful you have to make your audience a creative collaborator.

Also, reading between the lines, there may have been a scene of Mannix editing a film that was deleted. A Western Star, suddenly upgraded to drawing room dramas, has a very difficult time on the set. But you later see that someone has manipulated his performance into something that, while far from perfect, significantly more acceptable. It's a comment on either the excellence of the director or on someone's ability in the editing room. If you go to IMDB and look carefully at the lesser and "uncredited" credits you'll see character descriptions that are indications that quite a few scenes that never made it to the finished film. Indeed, in one incarnation Dolph Lundgren played a Soviet Sub Commander!

Now I'm realizing that if the film is actually a "love letter" to anything it is sending a bouquet to the producers and production executives who make movies work ... no matter what. Back in the day, like this version of Eddie Mannix, they were the father/fixer figure for an entire studio/family. These days, now that many actors and film makers have clout that exceeds the studio's and agents to muddy the waters even more, the job has gotten much harder. However, it's still amazing how a visit to the set by the man who represents the power of the studio or network can settle down the most unruly star or director.

In what may be a fantastically oblique reference, Johan Hill plays a character who is a professional legal entity, a legal "person" who can stand in as the corporation's literal "body" when necessary. Okay, either I'm giving this film more credit than it deserves or it's hinting at deeper satire than I imagined. I've always thought that incorporating in order to give a business faux "personhood" was pretty weird, and a bit beyond my straining gray matter, but it was great to finally realize that someone sees the same conflict and is willing to make a joke about it.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big Coens fan, and I plan to see this later today, so I should have a review up tomorrow.

(Super Bowl Sunday is an American secular holiday that I do not observe, and the Jewish Xmas Response [go to a movie, get Chinese food] seems appropriate.)

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I'm a big Coens fan, and I plan to see this later today, so I should have a review up tomorrow.

(Super Bowl Sunday is an American secular holiday that I do not observe, and the Jewish Xmas Response [go to a movie, get Chinese food] seems appropriate.)

Totally! I apply JXR to nearly everything.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I was very split between this and The Finest Hour for my choice at the movies this evening. I ended up seeing The Finest Hour, as I figured Hail, Caesar would be too crowded. Ended up having to deal with an unruly patron and his wife's phone anyway, but I still really want to see this one. It looks absolutely fantastic.

I enjoyed both movies. Very different- but each was era based fun in its own right.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

Oy vey, indeed! With all the Super Bowl festivities choking San Francisco this weekend, dinner at Tsing Tao #2 Restaurant and "Hail, Caesar!" at our neighborhood twin-screen theater is exactly what Misses Guttersnipe and I did last night. I give the movie an A for look and feel, but it's defiantly not the best picture the Coens have ever made.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Okay, I saw it... and it's a middling Coen Bros. flick, not one of their masterworks. That said, it still reflects their unique strengths and is very enjoyable... especially to folks like us who venerate the golden age of Hollywood.

All of the Coens' films are distinguished by fantastic set-piece sequences. In their best films, they are the highlights in a tightly told, cohesive story with an overarching message of some kind. In their lesser films, the story sometimes lurches from one brilliant set piece to another, but the connective tissue and cohesion is missing. Hail Caesar!, while it has the central narrative thread of Eddie Mannix dealing with every kind of moviemaking crisis to hold it together, mostly only comes to life in its looks at the films (being) made at the studio... A singing cowboy western, drawing room comedy, musicals (both Gene Kelly and Esther Williams style), and the titular pretentious biblical epic are all handled beautifully: slightly caricatured and overdone - and hilarious. But there are big chunks of plot that simply don't land, and here and there, a disturbing anachronism that they should have been able to avoid (e.g., in the one of the watching-the-dailies sequences, 35mm film is apparently spliced together with what any former amateur filmmaker will recognize as 60s/70s Super 8 leader!)

The cast is uniformly great, there are some really funny scenes, the production design/costumes are spot on, Roger Deakins' cinematography (shot on film!) masterfully reproduces 1950s movies, and the film's definitely enjoyable... but it doesn't quite make it. Hail Caesar! is definitely fun, but it doesn't reach the heights of the Coens' best films.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Oh. My. God. ( To quote Charlton Heston.) I was bugged to death by that Super 8 leader thing! Especially since they should have had some of the real stuff on the set when the scene was shot. It just goes to show you what happens when you hand material over to the kids in Special Effects to composite in the "footage" with the moviola. Good catch. I was well out of the theater before I clued into what was wrong!

In general, I have always wondered what sort of insecurity makes film makers present the fictional films being made as BAD. Do they worry that no one will be able to tell the difference between the real and the fake film or get confused about the story? Are they afraid that the "fake" film will show up their "real" film? Do they see all film making as essentially silly? It's hard to tell in a Coen Brothers movie because it's ALL essentially silly but there are plenty of other examples ... nearly ALL other examples of movies within movies are bad and nearly all are also bad examples of the process. I used to think that sometimes it was the screenwriters who caused this problem, either because sometimes they don't understand what happens on a set as well as other people in the business or because they tend to have some animosity toward film crews because they used to be ostracized from films while they were in production. But that is FAR lees of an issue than it used to be and, of course many writers today, like the Coens are writer, producer, directors and no one is dis-inviting them from anywhere.

It was odd how they seemed to attach the beginning titles to each piece of the films we saw even though those pieces were obviously internal scenes. It's like they thought we'd get confused about the difference between a god awful Western and Hail Caesar!, and (actually the most coherent of the bunch) the Drawing Room Drama that Ralph Fiennes is directing. Again, it could be some odd insecurity ... but that's the sort of problem that Creative Executives get and force you to do at the last minute because they think the audience is too stupid to figure it out. It seems to me that the Coens would not be making the films they make if they didn't have the clout to keep those idiots at bay.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Having read up on this a bit more, I'm still looking forward to getting it/seeing it, but I'm a bit mystified as to why they chose to call their fixer "Eddie Mannix" when he seems to have little resemblance to the actual, historical Eddie Mannix, who was by most accounts a highly dubious character. Does the film hint at this reality at all, or is it all wacky Coen hijinks?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's yet another Coens mystery why they gave their Capitol Pictures fixer the same name as the historical MGM studio exec. None of the other characters are named after real people. To quote another Coens character from A Serious Man, "Accept the mystery."

And of course, a fictionalized version of the real Eddie Mannix was previously in a film - Hollywoodland, played by the late, great Bob Hoskins.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Having read up on this a bit more, I'm still looking forward to getting it/seeing it, but I'm a bit mystified as to why they chose to call their fixer "Eddie Mannix" when he seems to have little resemblance to the actual, historical Eddie Mannix, who was by most accounts a highly dubious character. Does the film hint at this reality at all, or is it all wacky Coen hijinks?

I'm guessing they 1) liked the name, and 2) it's easier to hire a top actor when they can play a "real" character. Stars are addicted to playing something "real" (maybe because there is so little that is real in their lives!). It's kind of a common trick, not to interject a sort of faux real character into a fictional context but to try to attract a star by digging up a story about a real character. Just Hollywood superficiality and narcissism at work. In the end I suspect that Brolin would have worked for them regardless (because he had before) but they probably wanted to have a lot of options when they started trying to find a studio.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

It's definitely wacky Coen hijinks. The character "Eddie Mannix" in "Hail, Ceasar!" basically bears no resemblance to Louis B. Mayer's real life number 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana