Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
Me using RC and Brylcreem
Picture of me 26 (2).jpg
Side view
Picture of me 27 (2).jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Royal Crown Pomade and Brylcreem is a good combination to use; I have it on today. I don't tend to use my hard wax pomade, Dax Wave and Groom, very much, as it is a lot more work to clean off my hands than something lighter. I do use Groom and Clean the most, usually with some hairspray if I don't want the wind to blow it much.

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Here I am using Royal Crown Hairdressing and Brylcreem. It is an awful picture, however, and looks a lot better in real life, as my webcam is horrible.
ktKHABh.png

In case you were wondering, I am listening to my Glenn Miller and Lawrence Welk playlist.

How do you get hair product on the back of your hair? For some reason, when I put any product in, my back of my hair feels dry, and gets all messy.

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I am planning to get a haircut soon, but I don't think my hair cutter is cutting my hair in the best possible way for my style. Does anyone know of an image to show her which describes these styles the best? I always tend to part my hair on the left, but I don't know if that matters or not. If possible, a picture of a similar style of them all mixed together.
Young_lawrence_welk.JPG
640px-Walter_Pidgeon_cph_3b24937.jpg
Chet_R._Allen.jpg
640px-PontLighthouseSuit.jpg

Attachments

• 640px-Walter_Pidgeon_cph_3b24937.jpg
    640px-Walter_Pidgeon_cph_3b24937.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 3,918

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I got a haircut today. Not only did I get a haircut, but she also shaved off a pimple I had, and now it's bleeding. I put in Brylcreem and Royal Crown Hairdressing afterwards (not in the pimple). I got the sides and back cut real short, but I left the top the same.
xKfgZeQ.png

Barmey

One of the Regulars
that's quite a claim ! you might be able to get some sort of corporate sponsorship from them. ;)

i'm trying Black and White again after a good ten year stint on Dax 'Wave and Groom'.

Wow you're both real pomade vets. I've used both Black & White, and Dax, but I've finally settled on American Crew pomade. I find it alot lighter and more manageable than the other two.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
that's quite a claim ! you might be able to get some sort of corporate sponsorship from them. ;)

i'm trying Black and White again after a good ten year stint on Dax 'Wave and Groom'.

I started using their amber formula in 1983, then moved to the white one in 1984. In those days the only place I knew you could get it was Brixton market, on a West Indian stall. If I remember correctly there was just one stall selling it. So, in those early days I had to travel 50 miles from my home just to find it! Luckily within a couple of years it could be found more widely. However, even now, its cheapest to buy it from shops selling afro products _ rather than from tesco or superdrug etc. Luckily there are loads of shops selling it near where I live, so no more train journeys just to sort my hair out!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
My first attempt cutting my own hair. Could have turned out much worse. Need to work on the angle and the back, which is too long too low. Brylcreem combed back.

SAM_6957_zpse26f53be.jpg

SAM_6962_zps2c4d87fb.jpg

SAM_6956_zpsc1ea687e.jpg

The barber I've been going to is one of those guys that's been cutting hair for 50 years, but he never gets it short enough on the sides. A friend of mine is a stylist at a salon and she can nail it, but it's more expensive.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
No. At least it seems to be exactly the same. Scarily,i've been using it for 30 of those 90 years!

I started with Murray's Superior and Dax Wave & Groom 26 years ago. Back then the only places to find pomade in Berlin were afro shops as well. I switched to Black & White and Royal Crown only a about six years ago, but these days I rarely use pomade. Since I stopped shampooing and just use baking soda and apple vinegar once a week my hair is much better and I hardly need the pomade anymore.

Luftwaffles

One of the Regulars
My first attempt cutting my own hair. Could have turned out much worse. Need to work on the angle and the back, which is too long too low. Brylcreem combed back.

SAM_6957_zpse26f53be.jpg

SAM_6962_zps2c4d87fb.jpg

SAM_6956_zpsc1ea687e.jpg

The barber I've been going to is one of those guys that's been cutting hair for 50 years, but he never gets it short enough on the sides. A friend of mine is a stylist at a salon and she can nail it, but it's more expensive.

Looking good! I really like it!
Recently got a cut myself.
10683680_695736760517514_8948791239855773585_o.jpg
10679725_695738197184037_7051078052694862114_o.jpg
What does everyone think?

Last edited:
G

Gabriel

Hey there,

Since I'm not so experienced in this topic myself, I'd like to ask you folks a question about asking my barber for the right cut to achieve this look. I'd like to try and pull off a 40's look that was demonstrated in this video

[video=youtube;yD-nu3NFn3s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD-nu3NFn3s[/video]

If someone could, can someone explain to me what I need to ask my barber for the next time I cut my hair? Oh! and by the way, why does he have the hair dryer SO close to his hair? Is that necessary to achieve the look he made on the video?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I personally never use a hair dryer. I just put in pomade after taking a shower. It is much simpler that way, and it holds better in my opinion. That video looks too complicated to me. However, I personally prefer to make my hair flat on my head, rather than the video showing a slight upward combing.

As for how you want the barber to cut your hair, I would ask him to leave the top long, and cut the sides short.

G

Gabriel

I personally never use a hair dryer. I just put in pomade after taking a shower. It is much simpler that way, and it holds better in my opinion. That video looks too complicated to me. However, I personally prefer to make my hair flat on my head, rather than the video showing a slight upward combing.

As for how you want the barber to cut your hair, I would ask him to leave the top long, and cut the sides short.

so, I just called up a barber shop (sounded like an old owner) and asked him how much he charged, after asking - the guy hung up on me.

Does asking that question offend barbers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points