Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair styles with a snood + question.

Fofi

New in Town
I was wondering how you styled your hair with a snood? I'm wearing one today with 3 victory rolls in the front of my head...
My problem is even though I tied my hair into a ponytail at the end of the length before I put it in the snood, I seem to have million of baby hair falling out of the snood after a few hours... What can I do about it? I'd love to wear snoods more often because I find them really stylish, but I always have that problem...

RedDoll46

New in Town
I tend to semi-style my hair up in a loose roll (pinned). Then put the snood over the hair.

ETA - I tried to find an example, but all I can find are examples where the ladies just shoved their hair into the net then pulled the net on....

Last edited:

Fofi

New in Town
Oh thanks! I actually thought the hair had to be loose in the back to provide volume and perfectly fit the snood! I'll try pinning my hair (But not tommorow: I've just set my hair in rollers for the night! ;) )

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
In this thread there is a photo showing how to wear a snood so the hair does not poke out and look flat http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?5269-Scans-from-American-Hairdresser-Magazine Just like Fräulein U. said, you put on a hair net that is close to your own hair color then put on the snood. Since my hair is thin when I ware a snood it looks so flat and swings around like a ponytail. Curling my hair first and brushing out my hair so that it is super frizzy will make my snood look fuller and stay in place.

ashleysummer

Banned
In most cases I used to style my hair with a snood in such a way
crochet-snood2.jpg
. I refused from a snood as it damaged my hair. Now, I prefer ponytails like these ones
1-side-swept-pony.jpg

or
20-braided-headband-and-twisted-side-pony.jpg

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
A snood shouldn't damage your hair. Teasing or tearing a brush through your hair is more likely to damage your hair. Using mini bobby pins in a X pattern won't damage hair and will still be secure. Make sure the angled tip points down, not up. Or, on the bigger pins, that crimped side. That's how they were designed to be used, so that the pins stay in place. People just never know that tidbit.

The fine hair net will definitely help. I think Jac O Net is the closest thing to a vintage hair net, and they come in 3 main colors to match your hair. If you can't find any to properly match your hair, I think nets for horse riding come in a wider selection. I only know this much about hair nets because I use them for medieval re-enactment as well, and it's fairly accurate to the silk netting ladies used back then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko