Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Tonic

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
WOW - This WAS Down My Alley

I used to be an expert on this subject!!!!! Then JFK was elected and I had to have the air dried, fly away look!!! Lets see, I used to love H.A. (Hair Arranger-- for the younger generation), then there was Brylcreem (still around I think), Vaseline Hair Tonic (baby oil-scented), Frank Giffords favorite Vitalis (still around big time) I even have a bottle in my medicine cabinet. Vitalis is all I use now, and only occasionally. I have short hair and just use it to make it lay down. Once in a while my wifes pomade. I'm not into the Dapper Dan look, those are days I dont care to re-live. Your comb left a grease spot on the back pocket of your Levis that you changed once a week. Maybe!!! EVERYBODY ELSE - - - COME ON, How about some I missed!!

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I have seen many hair tonics on the shelves of my local Wal-Mart. But the only one I have used is Brylcreem. Though it seems to be thincker than the liquidy tonics. I like Brylcreem, but if I wear it, I can't wear my hat. It will leave a ring in the band.

Chad

Bebop

Practically Family
I have really short hair and sometimes use Bayrum from Orvis. I like the way it smells and it leaves my hats smelling just as nice as my head (I guess my head smells nice. I have a rough time getting my nose up there) :rolleyes: . It dries quickly and leaves no stains in my hats. I use it mainly for the smell. I don't think it does anything BUT smell.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
I indeed use Hair Tonic

I searched far and wide for a hair tonic that my old man used to use. I am now using it once again after finding a regular place to buy it. I'm using Vitalis. I was going to use Berylcreme and then I remembered how much I liked using the Vitalis.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I'm surprised nobody checked here: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...PRODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=27&iProductID=9163

Healthy-Looking Hair Begins with Wildroot

"You better get Wildroot Cream Oil, Charlie, start using it today." So went the jingle that introduced us to Wildroot in our youth. Men and women have trusted it for as long as we can remember. Women use it as eagerly as men to moisturize their hair and keep it looking healthy and well groomed. This is the original formula. Just massage a little into your hair and comb as usual. Has a light, clean scent. 8 oz.

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Evening gents. Don't overlook good old Pinaud hair tonics! I use either theirs or Pashana daily. No grease(I'm blonde haired, oil products just make my hair look dirty), great scents, and dirt cheap. I'll post a couple of links that should show them off.

http://tinyurl.com/8ls23

Don't worry, The Gentlemans Shoppe ships here too and they are first rate.

Here's some American links. First is great price, the other better picture

http://tinyurl.com/8pgdw

http://tinyurl.com/958mz

The Pinaud Eau de Quinine and Eau de Portugal are two of my absolute favourites. The Pashana that is my favourite is Blue Orchid. One of the most exquisite scents ever. The Pashana's can usually be had eith w/oil or w/o oil. I use the oiless exclusively. Try them. They are very reasonable and go a long way.

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Sorry guys. The links I posted didn't work. So, I converted them to tinyurl and they still come up as not doable. Don't know why. Anyway, try www.gentlemans-shop.com, or www.qedusa.com for Pashana, or search amazon.com for Pinaud Eau de Quinine or Eau de Portuagal. Those two have scents that are heavenly.

havershaw

Practically Family
I have some vintage hair stuff (I guess it's some kind of oil) that I've used for the last couple of years. I got it on eBay because I thought the bottles ere cool-looking art deco things and they had a cool name: Fedora Hair Oil. I got two bottles, both were full, and smelled pretty good. My wife says it kind of smells like rosewater. Works pretty good on my hair - and after two years, I've only used a half a bottle.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
dcode said:
I've been using Groom & Clean for some time. It's water soluble and keeps my thick, wavy mane slicked back without the hardness of gel or the resilience of an oil based hair tonic.

Regards,
Dan

Another Groom and Clean fan here.....Great stuff. I also use Lucky Tiger Sur-Lay, Vitalis, and Jerris tonics and switch around depending on the mood. Lately I have been mixing some G&C with some Brylecreem and getting a great shine combined with a great hold.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
I second dcode/Dan on the Groom & Clean its available in any store, greaseless but can give you the super slick look if desired. Also unlike Brylcreem/Vitalis etc. it doesn't leave hat lining stains,a big plus!!!

houndstoothhat

New in Town
Gotta be Vitalis with V7

I've recently started using Vitalis again. I remember my father putting it on my hair when I was a child. The barber I went to as a child used it too. I sure wish I could still get a $1.00 haircut from him again...and I'm not that old either...33. Of course things do seem to be a little more affordable in the South.

"Winning ain't everything, but it sure beats coming in second in anything"

--Paul W. "Bear" Bryant

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I tend to use a hair oil called Royal Yacht during the week and Pinaud Eau de Quinine at weekends. I occasionally use Brylcreem, largely to give myself a change. For the rare occasions when I go out in white or black tie I use Yardley's English Lavender Brilliantine.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Wild Root

In the past I have used Brylcream (great shine, not too much hold), but for the most part I use pomade (usually American Crew, but for my 1940's wedding last weekend I used Murray's for the first time). So, after all of this hair tonic talk I stopped by Walgreens to search their shelves. I was pleasantly surprised to find Wild Root ($5.99 I believe) and Groom and Clean to experiment with. This morning I tried the Wild Root for the first time. Need to work on the "dosage" perhaps, but it doesn't seem to have a good hold so I mixed in a little American Crew Pomade and I am happy with the result so far. Tommorow I will try the Groom and Clean.

---Scott

Rooster

Practically Family
I opened a bottle of Wild root yesterday at Walgreens. I about wretched my guts out, that stuff doesn't have a pleasant smell. Is it any better when it's on your head? I opted for a product called Protien 29. Good hold, good shine and a pleasant smell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko