Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanging jacket on coat rack

Bertie

New in Town
I've "googled" around and I can't find the answer, so I thought maybe you fellows could help out:

If I want to hang a suit jacket or blazer on a coat rack stand, what's the "best" way to avoid damage? For example, just hanging by the scruff of the neck would cause a distortion in the fabric, wouldn't it?

Thanks!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Yes, over time (how long depends on the jacket), it will distort the shape. If the jacket has a loop inside it's better, I find, but you'll still end up with a badly wrinkled jacket. I have a coat rack in my hallway, for coats and jackets I hang on it regularly I put them on hangers and then hang them on the rack.

Hal

Practically Family
In Scandinavia, most public places (such as restaurants, hotel foyers and bars) as well as private homes have coat-racks with hangers for the use of visitors, and on arriving at a friend's house one is always offered a hanger for one's coat. Are such racks not found in those parts of North America which have cold winters? They can be seen in any IKEA catalogue.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Hal said:
In Scandinavia, most public places (such as restaurants, hotel foyers and bars) as well as private homes have coat-racks with hangers for the use of visitors, and on arriving at a friend's house one is always offered a hanger for one's coat. Are such racks not found in those parts of North America which have cold winters? They can be seen in any IKEA catalogue.

Coming from Michigan, usually the host takes your coat and puts it on a hanger in the coat closet or lays it out on a bed if there's no more room.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Would it really do so much damage to hang your coat for around 8 hours a day(except weekends, vacations, days you don't come to work/school) in your schools/workplace coat rack?

If your workplace/studyplace only has coat racks, it blows big time...
If I would fold my jacket and put it on the hat shelve, some retard would probably throw it on the floor in a pile of dirty water that came from someones wet shoes.
It's so hard to live in a place where nobody respects other peoples property.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Bertie said:
If I want to hang a suit jacket or blazer on a coat rack stand, what's the "best" way to avoid damage? For example, just hanging by the scruff of the neck would cause a distortion in the fabric, wouldn't it?

The "best" way to avoid damage is to keep it on. A soft, loosely woven fabric (e.g., camel hair) will be pulled out of shape in a very short time, especially if it is damp.

If your office/school is too warm for a jacket, get the custodian to turn down the thermostat. Save energy and reduce your carbon footprint.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Nick D said:
Coming from Michigan, usually the host takes your coat and puts it on a hanger in the coat closet or lays it out on a bed if there's no more room.
Same thing here. Usually I fold then drape over the top of an unoccupied chair depending of the place.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
As a Tailor...

Please don't hang a coat from the loop at its neck.
That loop is mainly there for decoration, and has a bit of history going back centuries. It is never really intended to be used.

It is hard on the coat, can pull and distort the fabrics and canvas , and its just kind of tacky.

Find a hanger, or bring one from home for your office. when in doubt, fold it.

Bertie

New in Town
Coat Stand

Thanks for the thoughts.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I'm talking about a coat stand--not a clothes rack or behind-the-door peg, etc.

The solution I had come up with which didn't seem to do as much damage was to hang it by the shoulder rather than the neck...but I felt there must be a "tried and true" way.

It looks like a majority feel it should be hung on a hanger...this surprises me, because I've never seen anyone use a hanger on a coat stand (not even in an old movie where people wear "real" jackets instead of windbreakers!). But it's an idea. Thanks!

And regarding the comment about just wearing it...sorry, I sit at a desk for 8-10 hrs. My jacket back would be so wrinkled--and nothing this side of [ ] looks worse than a wrinkled jacket! :)

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
Would a wool coat get distorted if it would be hung on a coat rack, but would be placed in a hanger afterwards? Wool has the ability to fix wrinkles etc. itself.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
TrenchGuy said:
Would a wool coat get distorted if it would be hung on a coat rack, but would be placed in a hanger afterwards? Wool has the ability to fix wrinkles etc. itself.
Its not as much teh wool and all the various layers of canvas that make up the interior of the coat.

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
Never ever hang the jacket "in welt" which is like throwing the jacket on top of a pole or hanging by its loop. It will cause a permanent stretching of the area due to stress.

George A.Bailey

New in Town
Tailor Tom said:
Please don't hang a coat from the loop at its neck.
That loop is mainly there for decoration, and has a bit of history going back centuries. It is never really intended to be used.

It is hard on the coat, can pull and distort the fabrics and canvas , and its just kind of tacky.

Agreed. Unfortunately for me I have no other place to keep my h/weight chesterfield overcoat other than hanging it on its loop in my cloak room. No doubt over time the coat's perfect drape will become completely distorted, though hopefully for me this is just temporary storage for it.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
If you are just visiting some new place you pretty much have to do what you can. You won't ruin a coat by hanging it in welt for an hour or two once. If you are hanging your coat at work or at home get a HANGER!

At work you can always lock your hanger in your desk or locker or whatever when you aren't using it.

BTW, asking the custodian to lower the heat so you can wear your coat probably won't go over too well.

dnjan

One Too Many
Looks like a good time for someone to post a link for a source of that folding coat hanger that they had in the Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark movie.

anyone ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21