Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hank Williams: I Saw the Light

Feraud

Bartender
I realize this is a long way off and can fall apart anytime but I am thrilled to read Tom Hiddleston is cast to play Hank Williams on the big screen!
http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/tom...try-icon-hank-williams-and-will-sing-as-well/

EXCLUSIVE: The Avengers star Tom Hiddleston will play Tom Hiddleston Hank Williams MovieCountry & Western legend Hank Williams in I Saw The Light, a film that Marc Abraham will direct and which has come together as a co-production between RatPac Entertainment, Bron Studios, and Creative Wealth Media Finance, all of which will fund the film. Abraham wrote the script based on the Colin Escott biography of Williams and Aaron L. Gilbert will produce with Brett Ratner, G. Marq Rosell and Abraham. Ratner’s partner, James Packer, will be exec producer.

Production will begin in Louisiana in October, and Hiddleston will sing such Williams standards as “Your Cheatin’ Heart”, “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” and “Hey Good Lookin’,” after the film’s backers made a deal with Sony ATV to secure rights to the Williams music catalog. The film will tell the story of Williams’ meteoric rise to fame, and the price that fame took on his personal life. He died at age 29 of heart failure.

The British actor has starred in projects as diverse as Midnight In Paris and War Horse, but his starmaking role has been playing Thor’s evil adopted brother Loki in two Thor films and The Avengers. He’s currently shooting the Guillermo del Toro-directed Crimson Peak for Legendary Pictures and Universal.

Around 10 years ago I saw an Off Broadway production called Hank Williams: Lost Highway which was excellent. I'm looking forward to this.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I agree...I'm looking forward to seeing this. I still stop and watch the film abut Johnny Cash every time I see it on TV.

The blurb you posted was rather kind in saying Hank Williams died of heart failure. His heart failed, no question about that, but that isn't what killed him.

AF

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I understand Hank Williams was sick for a long time before he died, it is possible he got into music because he was not strong enough to work.

RBH

Bartender
This looks to be good.
Here is a shot of the real Hank Williams.

4YejLV.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Was it George Hamilton that made that old movie back in The early 60's on HW?

I remember seeing it several times as a kid.
Yes.
Your Cheatin Heart.
TCM just showed it the other day.
Susan Oliver played his wife, and Hank Jr provided the voice for Hamilton to "lip sink" to.
Great movie btw.

I agree AF, his heart stopped, but not on it's own.

Edward

Bartender
When I was at university, we did a show based on the life of St Paul in the book of the Acts, and the old This is your Life format, with me and the other writer playing 99% of all the parts. Well... he was St Paul and I was 99% of all the other parts. It was a blast. We used saw the light a couple of times in that show. It's my favourite HW track. I also remember hearing johnny Cash sing it when he played the bad guy in an episode of Columbo (I think that was the first time I heard it, actually), but I've never been able to find that on record.

78d5a7d71cce299b1a4762eeb86de122.jpg

I got this at a flea market over 20 years ago. One of these days I'm going to get around to having it framed.

There is probably no one on this earth who looks more like Hank Williams than Hank 3, and with the possible exception of Wayne Hancock, no one who sounds more like him.
Hank 3 should have just cut off his ponytail and got to auditioning. I'm sure he's had the life experience to convincingly play the role.

There is probably no one on this earth who looks more like Hank Williams than Hank 3, and with the possible exception of Wayne Hancock, no one who sounds more like him.
Hank 3 should have just cut off his ponytail and got to auditioning. I'm sure he's had the life experience to convincingly play the role.

Sounds like him too. But Hank 3 is in his 40's, WAY too old to play his grandfather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points