Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hank Williams: I Saw the Light

Sounds like him too. But Hank 3 is in his 40's, WAY too old to play his grandfather.

Huh!! I guess you're right. It's been a few years (obviously) since I've seen Hank 3.
Of course, when Hank Williams the original was in his late 20s he could easily have passed for his 40s, especially there toward the end.

Feraud

Bartender
Admittedly I don't know much about the man but can Hank III act? I Googled his name and see he looks a lot like his grandpa.
I think Hiddleston is a good choice. Good actor, he's got that tall, lean look needed to portray HW. Another good choice would be Matthew Goode.

Admittedly I don't know much about the man but can Hank III act? I Googled his name and see he looks a lot like his grandpa.
I think Hiddleston is a good choice. Good actor, he's got that tall, lean look needed to portray HW. Another good choice would be Matthew Goode.

I don't think Hank 3 can act, or really wants to. He's just upset at a Brit playing an icon of Southern American culture. I'm sure Hiddleston will do a fine job acting, I just hope his Alabama accent isn't terrible (like most actors').

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
78d5a7d71cce299b1a4762eeb86de122.jpg

I got this at a flea market over 20 years ago. One of these days I'm going to get around to having it framed.

Wow, that is an amazing find! The show that Hank never made it to. He died on the way to that show. I'd definitely get that framed. If it's authentic it's probably worth some major bucks.

rjb1

Practically Family
Agree 100% with HudsonHawk about getting the right Southern accent done properly (for a change). The British actor might be able to simulate the accent correctly if someone who knows enough about them gives him the proper instruction.
There are over a dozen varieties, and all are different and distinct: North Georgia, East TN, Middle TN, Alabama, Louisiana/New Orleans, Texas, Western Carolina, Virginia, etc., etc.
Having someone in a biography sounding like they are from somewhere else than from where they really are, or no real place, kills the suspension of disbelief.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm just happy when actors playing Southerners sound like normal, conversational human beings as opposed to sounding they're singing or yodeling their lines. For a finger nails on the chalkboard example of this, listen to the drawls in the old TV miniseries North and South.

AF

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I'm just happy when actors playing Southerners sound like normal, conversational human beings as opposed to sounding they're singing or yodeling their lines. For a finger nails on the chalkboard example of this, listen to the drawls in the old TV miniseries North and South.

AF

Ugh! No thanks. I'm still twitching just thinking about Cumberbatch's accent in August: Osage County. *shudders*

RBH

Bartender
Lets try not to pick this to death before it even comes out.

I can remember watching George Hamilton in his film on Hank when I was a kid.
I didnt cuss back then but I remember thinking...
Who the hell is this guy... and who the hell is he supposed to be!!!!
Surely not Hank Williams.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The blurb you posted was rather kind in saying Hank Williams died of heart failure. His heart failed, no question about that, but that isn't what killed him.

AF

It seems to be a long running theme that the cause of Williams' death -- an overdose of prescription opiates and sedatives, combined with alcohol -- is swept under the rug. Of course, it doesn't help that even his autopsy was (some say purposefully) vague about this. Hopefully this film portrays Hank Sr. as three dimensional character, warts and all.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
It seems to be a long running theme that the cause of Williams' death -- an overdose of prescription opiates and sedatives, combined with alcohol -- is swept under the rug. Of course, it doesn't help that even his autopsy was (some say purposefully) vague about this. Hopefully this film portrays Hank Sr. as three dimensional character, warts and all.

Let's hope so.

Edward

Bartender
Ugh! No thanks. I'm still twitching just thinking about Cumberbatch's accent in August: Osage County. *shudders*

I've yet to see that... I keep getting put off by Julia Roberts being in it.

Not to hijack but here ya go Edward.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071351/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071351/soundtrack?ref_=tt_trv_snd

[video=youtube;vtLYJ4STuXY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtLYJ4STuXY[/video]

That's it! Thanks. Classic stuff. Wanda Jackson does a nice run at this number live.

Feraud

Bartender
Lets try not to pick this to death before it even comes out.

I can remember watching George Hamilton in his film on Hank when I was a kid.
I didnt cuss back then but I remember thinking...
Who the hell is this guy... and who the hell is he supposed to be!!!!
Surely not Hank Williams.
Yes, Hamilton didn't impress me at all in the role!

I think Mr Hiddleston will have the look down pretty good.
I agree and think Hiddleston is a great casting choice. He has Hank's tall lean looks and can act.
My fingers are crossed the writers do justice to Williams with an accurate telling of his story and great musical performances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points