Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Straw Hat Day

RJR

Even though it can be straw hat weather anytime of year here, I've been unpacking some today and putting some felts away.

Nice to see these favorites for the first time in a few months:

VS on top and Brent Black.

68f5907b1fa03f04175ac2e42135e106.jpg
Wow,beauties.I particularly like the semi colado.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Even though it can be straw hat weather anytime of year here, I've been unpacking some today and putting some felts away. Nice to see these favorites for the first time in a few months: VS on top and Brent Black.

David; Those are straws that dreams are made off. Wear them with pride.

foamy

A-List Customer
Even though it can be straw hat weather anytime of year here, I've been unpacking some today and putting some felts away.

Nice to see these favorites for the first time in a few months:

VS on top and Brent Black.

68f5907b1fa03f04175ac2e42135e106.jpg
Those are two nice ones alright. As others have said, the semi colado looks great—downright racey. The brim is flawless.

The Brent Black is not showing to advantage. Do you have any more shots of it? Did you buy it from Mr. Black himself? I'm very curious about his hats and would like to know more about them, but not from his (extensive, well written) web site. I'd like to know what BB owners think about them. Are they worth it? Do they compare favorably (quality and price-wise) to other high-end Panamas like say, Chicago's Optimo Hatters offerings? I ask because I'm developing an itch for a Monticristi that's going to be hard to justify (not that I have to). I like straws more than anything and I'd like to have at least one reasonably, finely woven hat in a style I like and I'm leaning in BB's direction.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Those are two nice ones alright. As others have said, the semi colado looks great—downright racey.

The Brent Black is not showing to advantage. Do you have any more shots of it? Did you buy it from Mr. Black himself? I'm very curious about his hats and would like to know more about them, but not from his (extensive, well written) web site. I'd like to know what BB owners think about them. Are they worth it? Do they compare favorably (and price-wise) to other high-end Panamas like say, Chicago's Optimo Hatters offerings? I ask because I'm developing an itch for a Monticristi that's going to be hard to justify (not that I have to). I like straws more than anything and I'd like to have at least one reasonably, finely woven hat in a style I like and I'm leaning in BB's direction. I'd like to hear and see from some owners to help persuade me, or just wait and hope that one I'll get lucky.
Great stuff. Outta my league.

That there is a nice hat too. Nice blocking and it appears to be soft and a bit floppy in a breeze. Things I like.

+ a few!! Clearly a CLASSIC, 40! Looks too sturdy to flutter in the breeze... I've always seemed to prefer the textural look of more prominent weave to the finer, linen-like Pajas, which are famous for fluttering and flapping in the wind, but I'm a little rough around the edges, too.

40Cal

One Too Many
That there is a nice hat too. Nice blocking and it appears to be soft and a bit floppy in a breeze. Things I like.
Thanks foamy! I only own two straws (so far) . This one is a 50's Supernatural. The brim is 2 7/8th " It is soft but not too floppy.

foamy

A-List Customer
Great stuff. Outta my league.
Kind'a outta my league as well, but I tend to be irrational when battling an obsession (at least I admit it and have so far controlled it—which is unusual for me). I've been thinking about a nice Panama for the past couple of years, but I haven't jumped because it is such a price for a seemingly fragile hat (or any hat, for that matter) that I might, or will likely, feel compelled to wear on more than special occasions. I guess I'm looking to convince myself—or not. Dang, it's hard but I've held off. I am happy with the low grade Cuencas I have and wear them every chance I get. Just doing circles here.

It'd be great to find a treasure in the wild, but I can't even come across a reasonable felt hat.

40Cal

One Too Many
+ a few!! Clearly a CLASSIC, 40! Looks too sturdy to flutter in the breeze... I've always seemed to prefer the textural look of more prominent weave to the finer, linen-like Pajas, which are famous for fluttering and flapping in the wind, but I'm a little rough around the edges, too.
Thank you Sir! I agree with you about the more prominent weave.... this one is just right for my tastes.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Foamy - I probably have some photos of the Brent Black around somewhere, I'll try and dig them up.

This hat was an eBay bargain, I think I paid about $100 for it. When it arrived it was in a box about 2 inches deep, so you can imagine what a mess it was. Using steam I was able to re-shape it (and add a couple of patches to the inside where the straw was weak and make a wearable hat - until the sweatband fell apart.

Tom Gomaz fitted a new sweatband and also a ribbon from an old Churchill hat I had kicking around. Sometime last year, I decided the new ribbon was too wide and removed it - replaced with the current black pug that I found online.

So this isn't a real representation of Mr. Black's current work, but it is a hat I really like and enjoy wearing. If I were ever in the market for an expensive Montecristi, I'm pretty sure I'd go for a BB, unless Art happened to have a good body kicking around. I did once buy one from Optimo in Chicago which wasn't a success (either the hat or dealing with the company). Art saved the day by turning it into a Dualist for me.

foamy

A-List Customer
Foamy - I probably have some photos of the Brent Black around somewhere, I'll try and dig them up.

This hat was an eBay bargain, I think I paid about $100 for it. When it arrived it was in a box about 2 inches deep, so you can imagine what a mess it was. Using steam I was able to re-shape it (and add a couple of patches to the inside where the straw was weak and make a wearable hat - until the sweatband fell apart.

Tom Gomaz fitted a new sweatband and also a ribbon from an old Churchill hat I had kicking around. Sometime last year, I decided the new ribbon was too wide and removed it - replaced with the current black pug that I found online.

So this isn't a real representation of Mr. Black's current work, but it is a hat I really like and enjoy wearing. If I were ever in the market for an expensive Montecristi, I'm pretty sure I'd go for a BB, unless Art happened to have a good body kicking around. I did once buy one from Optimo in Chicago which wasn't a success (either the hat or dealing with the company). Art saved the day by turning it into a Dualist for me.
Hi, and thanks for the quick, informative reply. I hadn't though about some of our resident hatters like Art... I will now. Good info on the BB, I'm still going to have to mull this whole thing over. Thank you, again.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Kind'a outta my league as well, but I tend to be irrational when battling an obsession (at least I admit it and have so far controlled it—which is unusual for me). I've been thinking about a nice Panama for the past couple of years, but I haven't jumped because it is such a price for a seemingly fragile hat (or any hat, for that matter) that I might, or will likely, feel compelled to wear on more than special occasions. I guess I'm looking to convince myself—or not. Dang, it's hard but I've held off. I am happy with the low grade Cuencas I have and wear them every chance I get. Just doing circles here.

It'd be great to find a treasure in the wild, but I can't even come across a reasonable felt hat.
Good luck on your quest...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Foamy - I think I know where you're coming from about the Panamas. Right now I'm trying to decide between a semi-colado and another VS Milan. One of the problems I have with the BB Panamas is that I can't see spending that kind of money for a hat that looks, from a few feet away, exactly like every other white Panama (I realize that this is high heresy to Panama afficianados). Occasionally I see some that are really beautiful (see Rabbit's collection on the VS thread), but to my untrained eye they look the same. Of all my hats, the VS Milan gets the most compliments, and you might want to give them a look.

RJR

fwiw;I've worked through quite a assortment of straws over the last few years.Old Shady Bradys,a few of Panama Bob's,BB monte,etc.I think I've kinda settled on real hemps whether Peters Brothers,Stetson or others.They're slightly heavier,but are pretty impervious to light rain and seem to travel well.

foamy

A-List Customer
Foamy - I think I know where you're coming from about the Panamas. Right now I'm trying to decide between a semi-colado and another VS Milan. One of the problems I have with the BB Panamas is that I can't see spending that kind of money for a hat that looks, from a few feet away, exactly like every other white Panama (I realize that this is high heresy to Panama afficianados). Occasionally I see some that are really beautiful (see Rabbit's collection on the VS thread), but to my untrained eye they look the same. Of all my hats, the VS Milan gets the most compliments, and you might want to give them a look.
fwiw;I've worked through quite a assortment of straws over the last few years.Old Shady Bradys,a few of Panama Bob's,BB monte,etc.I think I've kinda settled on real hemps whether Peters Brothers,Stetson or others.They're slightly heavier,but are pretty impervious to light rain and seem to travel well.

tropicalbob and RJR, thanks for the insights and recommendations. Ever since Bob Roberts ordered a milan from PB's, I've been considering something along that line. The Akubra Range and/or Reef (hemps) have been on my radar since the winter. Reckon I should look around a bit. I'd like to get the BB bug out of my head. You folks helped. Thanks.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
tropicalbob and RJR, thanks for the insights and recommendations. Ever since Bob Roberts ordered a milan from PB's, I've been considering something along that line. The Akubra Range and/or Reef (hemps) have been on my radar since the winter. Reckon I should look around a bit. I'd like to get the BB bug out of my head. You folks helped. Thanks.
Did you chk out Art's recent Milan hemp postings in the VS thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana