Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry's vs. Dollar Shave Club

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Since growing a beard the last 5 months, I have been using Gillette Good News pivoting dual=bladed disposable razors. Been doing good with those, they give me 7 to 10 shaves, about 3.5 weeks. I got a Harry's razor and one blade and their shave gel for $3.00 shipped and after two shaves, that 5-bladed razor is doing very well. Don't know if their blades last as long as the Gillette I am using, but it is sharper and closer and surprisingly, no irritation. Dont really like the gel, it is thicker than say Edge.

ANyone got comments on Harrys? And how do the Dollar Shave Club blades compare? They have a 2, 4 and 5 bladed option. Two would be like the Gillette and for $3.00 for them, I think you get 4, so that is a great value. Don't know how the 4 and 5 blade options stack up against each other.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I used Dollar Shave Club for a year or so. Love the pricing (I used the middle of their offering), but the shave wasn't that good.

After that I switched to using vintage double edge razors (I have a Gillette SuperSpeed and a Slim) and I have no interest in going back to modern razors.

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Since growing a beard the last 5 months, I have been using Gillette Good News pivoting dual=bladed disposable razors. Been doing good with those, they give me 7 to 10 shaves, about 3.5 weeks. I got a Harry's razor and one blade and their shave gel for $3.00 shipped and after two shaves, that 5-bladed razor is doing very well. Don't know if their blades last as long as the Gillette I am using, but it is sharper and closer and surprisingly, no irritation. Dont really like the gel, it is thicker than say Edge.

ANyone got comments on Harrys? And how do the Dollar Shave Club blades compare? They have a 2, 4 and 5 bladed option. Two would be like the Gillette and for $3.00 for them, I think you get 4, so that is a great value. Don't know how the 4 and 5 blade options stack up against each other.

Forget both. Do one of two things:

1) (easier and most sensible) Get a nice double edge razor from merkur or other brands. Nice and heavy in your hands, durable. Now go on amazon and get 100 double edge blades for $10-20 depending upon the brand.

2) Get an old school straight razor with the strop and honing stone. No blades necessary.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've been using a Mach 3. Much easier and WAY faster than a double edge razor. But not as cool.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've been using a Mach 3. Much easier and WAY faster than a double edge razor. But not as cool.

I imagine it's all what you're used to. I switched from a Mach3 / Mach 5(? Nitro?) type on my face a few years ago, and comparing them recently the Mach 3 just doesn't come close to as good as a three-pass shave from a DE safety razor. Or even, if I'm tight for time, a one-pass against the grain. Still using a cartridge on my head, alas, becuse I could never get the angle right with a DE. (Learned that the hard way...).

I've tried several different multi-blade types on my head, then came back to the Mach 3. The four and five blade typs are crazy expensive, and don't give me any better a shave. Also - because they're that much closer together and so log more - they just don't last as long. I was getting a week to ten days out of one of those, whereas a Mach 3 cartridge is usually good for around a month.

FWIW, in my experience these shave club things as are available in the UK are overpriced compared to bulk-buying Giletter cartridges from Amazon. The last lot I picked up worked out at a pound each, as compared to £2.50 a go for one of the mail-order schemes.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I was using a DE and when I had no facial hair, or a goatee, it was perfect. But now that I have a beard, it is only a little bit on the checks and now half the neck. I had some unused Gillette two bladed razors and they were pretty good. Got the $3 sampler from Harry's and this 5 blades from Harry's, third shave in, is doing very well. If I get 7 or 8 shaves great, if not, then I may go back to a three bladed razor (the Gillette was 2) and try those disposables. I can get the Harry refills at Target for $2 each

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars

I used to use mach3 too and the speed is basically the same as DE for me. But the time savings definitely come in less trips to the store for replacement cartridges.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I imagine it's all what you're used to. I switched from a Mach3 / Mach 5(? Nitro?) type on my face a few years ago, and comparing them recently the Mach 3 just doesn't come close to as good as a three-pass shave from a DE safety razor. Or even, if I'm tight for time, a one-pass against the grain.

I came to the Mach 3 after using a DE. The Mach is just easier. I have a fat boy, a superspeed and a Merkur. I hate having to do more than one pass and I found I can use the Mach 3 in the shower and shave in 3 minutes. Baby smooth. While some here enjoy the ritual of shaving and spend up to 20 minutes on it, I want it over fast.

Edward

Bartender
I came to the Mach 3 after using a DE. The Mach is just easier. I have a fat boy, a superspeed and a Merkur. I hate having to do more than one pass and I found I can use the Mach 3 in the shower and shave in 3 minutes. Baby smooth. While some here enjoy the ritual of shaving and spend up to 20 minutes on it, I want it over fast.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I hav the DE down to five minutes, but granted there are mornings I run the mach three under the hot tap and do a really quick shave with no soap.... wouldn't attempt that in a hurry with the DE! ;)

The one thing I could never get a passable shave out of was electric. Always left me looking like that guy in The Wedding Singer...

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I hav the DE down to five minutes, but granted there are mornings I run the mach three under the hot tap and do a really quick shave with no soap.... wouldn't attempt that in a hurry with the DE! ;)

The one thing I could never get a passable shave out of was electric. Always left me looking like that guy in The Wedding Singer...

To give the mach 3 guys the benefit of the doubt, there is definitely some benefit to having the multiple blades next to each other in terms of not missing hairs.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Harrys at the sink and a quick detail with an electric Braun Series 7 in the shower (waterproof rechargeable electric razor) after gives me a close-tight shave. I have never used a DE or the like. The multi-blade shavers work, but are really beyond the pale in price compared to my current ritual. Hot water with a gel shave lotion works wonders with my beard. Please note that I also shave the few remaining hairs on my head at the same time.

Close and tight is my desire and almost all days I meet my desire.

Best, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk