Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone bought from River Junction Trade Company?

Russ

One of the Regulars
I'm giving some serious thought to a 19th century style as my next hat, and have spent lots of time drooling over the hats over at the River Junction Trade Company. I've bought a vest, a watch chain, even a walking stick from them in the past, but have never ventured to try one of their hats. Has anyone bought one of their fur felt hats? Any reviews?

http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/hats/hats.html

Ken

A-List Customer
I bought from them - I bought there Drifter coat in black which is a wonderful coat. Love it very much (had to get it tailored to fit once it arrived as they didnt make it in my size).

Ken

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I've never heard of them before. I wonder who makes their hats? It's time to do a little investigating!!

Steven

J.B.

Practically Family
Wow, nice interesting "styles"!!

Not using intelligence to formulate my opinion
emogrinnoge5.gif
-- and based strictly on their pictures -- IMO a couple of them look like BB's and Seratelli's...
emohattipjv1.gif

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry I can't help you with the hat situation. But, I did want to thank you for the link. I have always wanted a late 1800's outfit, and this place not only has a pretty large selection, but the prices are great. Thanks for the link!

Russ

One of the Regulars
You are welcome. I confess I have been lusting after one of their frock coats for about a year and a half now. Just not sure where I would wear such a thing or if I have the courgae to wear it outside. I guess my approach to frock coats is how the general public must feel about hats!

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I stumbled onto this thread by accident, but maybe I can offer an answer. I don't remember exactly how long ago it was, but I ordered one of their custom hats called the "Pike" which was supposedly made to look like the cowboy hats of the 1960's and 1950's TV westerns. What I received not only did not look like the pictures on their website, but also it looked like an exaggerated cowboy hat that you would wear with a Halloween costume. It did not look anything like a serious cowboy hat or TV western replica. It literally looked like a joke: like something you'd wear for a comedy skit or something. The brim was bent into an exaggerated "taco" shape, and the crown was tall and exaggerated like some sort of "cowboy mad hatter" hat or something.

I was embarrassed to wear it in public. I gave it to a Halloween costume shop.

I stumbled onto this thread by accident, but maybe I can offer an answer. I don't remember exactly how long ago it was, but I ordered one of their custom hats called the "Pike" which was supposedly made to look like the cowboy hats of the 1960's and 1950's TV westerns. What I received not only did not look like the pictures on their website, but also it looked like an exaggerated cowboy hat that you would wear with a Halloween costume. It did not look anything like a serious cowboy hat or TV western replica. It literally looked like a joke: like something you'd wear for a comedy skit or something. The brim was bent into an exaggerated "taco" shape, and the crown was tall and exaggerated like some sort of "cowboy mad hatter" hat or something.

I was embarrassed to wear it in public. I gave it to a Halloween costume shop.

I've always liked the look of their Scout & Boss of the Plains models. Never bought from them but gotten ideas from their website.

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
You decide for yourself

Quick to take your cash and slow to deliver the goods.
They took advantage of a personal friend of mine who had loaned them product to sell, he never got this money back.
Just my 2 cents worth, I've known them for over 20 years.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I've always liked the look of their Scout & Boss of the Plains models. Never bought from them but gotten ideas from their website.

It's important to keep in mind that what I got did NOT look like their pictures on their website. I'm pretty good at reworking hats, so I reworked the crown and brim extensively to try to improve upon what they sent me. I still could not completely get away from the fact that the hat looked like some exaggerated Halloween costume hat. To give an example, I wanted a black gambler style "Doc Holliday" type hat. What I got was something that looked like you'd wear to a costume party dressed as the goofy cowpoke. It was that bad. When I got done I suppose what I reworked it to would have been appropriate to a western reenactor or something, but it did not look like a stylish gambler hat that you'd actually wear around town or something.

Edward

Bartender
I bought a pair of trousers from them aboutg eighteen months ago. Not the best cotton in the world, but I wore them heavily and they were reasonable for the low price. I'm tempted by the blanket mackinaw with the shawl collar.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars

Ironically, I almost referred to my hat as the "Turd Ferguson" hat in my first post.

It wasn't that bad, but the crown was too tall, too wide and just in general, too big.

The brim was folded up into a "taco" shape instead of the more subtle way the brim edges are turned up on the sides on most 1960's TV cowboy hats. I expected a hat more like Sam's hat (Don Collier) on the High Chaparral TV series.

What I got was between that and the Turd Ferguson hat.

Picture the hat below as a felt hat with a huge telescope crown that almost makes it look like a top hat, and you've got an approximation.

Attachments

• Mickey+s+cowboy+hat+DSLGHPb-zRKl.jpg
    Mickey+s+cowboy+hat+DSLGHPb-zRKl.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 948
Last edited:

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
For my 2 cents worth, I purchased one of their hats last October (high derby in brown wool) for under 100 dollars that I am pretty happy with. I told them that I was a 7 5/8 LO and they did a pretty good job of getting me a decent fitting hat (for a stiff derby). The liner did come loose and there were a few minor problems with the brim but overall its a hat that I do wear and wish I had gotten in fur felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto