Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone had a jacket relined in NYC? Recomendations?

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
My primary winter jacket is a Schott 740N leather pea coat. I love this thing, it's broken in beautifully and best of all, I found it for 25 dollars in a Salvation Army store. It's seen me through the bitter NYC winter for about 5 years now. Thing is, the lining is a little shabby now and one of the pockets has a hole in it. It's got the standard black quilted rayon lining and I can't help but think that a lurid heavyweight tartan, maybe with thinsulate behind it, would spruce the thing up a bit.

Has anyone here had a good experience getting a jacket relined in New York? I'd love to hear about it if you have. Thanks for your help in advance....

Peacoat

Bartender
Careful on how much lining and insulation you put in it. It will make it warmer, but also will make it a tighter fit. May not be able to layer a sweater underneath, depending on how it fits now.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Schott is very particular in what they are willing to do for you. I wouldn't recommend them, but of course, for purists, nothing beats the original, but again, this is really just psychological, a good craftman such as Chris French Cleaner on Astor Place, can do it just as well. I highly recommend Chris French, on Astor Place, they are the best. I have my leather work for them always.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
The actual exchange I had with the lady at Schott on this topic:

Hello,

I would like to find out about the possibility of getting my Schott 740N leather pea coat relined. The jacket currently has a black quilted lining I'd possibly be interested in other options if there are any available.

Thanks for your help,

We can re-line the coat - what exactly were you looking to have it relined in?

I was thinking worsted tartan or maybe Harris tweed.

We do not have these types of wool for linings. The linings you listed are for outer shells not linings, much too heavy of a wool for a lining.

Sigh..... hey, thanks for the tip about the guy on Astor Place though, I may well look into it....

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All you need to do, is to go down to some vintage store in the East Village, such as Village Style or No Relation on 1st Ave, and buy a old stock Johnson's wool shirt or a Pendleton, and have Chris French make it into a lining, they can do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto